Ryan Reynolds

Don't Worry Darling | Sep 23 2022 | We’re Just Here For The Mess

11 hours ago, Flopped said:

So as expected this is 100%, undeniably all a publicity stunt. 

If this is a publicity stunt it’s as poorly executed as the film itself apparently is, since so far it’s been to the benefit of nobody involved.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Unless it gets stellar WOM, or she's really lucky, Wilde's probably headed to Director Jail for a while. How long is anyone's guess.

But, sure, all a PR Stunt.

Even the film becomes box office hit, Wilde will be in director's jail.

Simon West's behavior was so bad while making "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" .  The film was a big box office hit, but Simon West was still put in the director's jail for a while.

Edited by John2015

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

You know, you keep saying this, so tell me this.  Why on God's Green Earth would Olivia Wilde want to light her credibility on fire in a blaze of glory?  Coz, I gotta tell you, no film is worth what has happened to Wilde's cred in the last couple of weeks.

Most women who direct strive to be taken seriously, especially an actress/director. Wilde had her custody case spill into movie promotion; the former leading man says she lied about firing him; her current leading man/boyfriend made a complete idiot of himself at a prestigious film festival; the lead actress isn't even disguising her contempt for the director while barely promoting the movie. Oh, and the movie itself is not very deep, or good.

The "attention" Olivia's gotten from the movie hits every negative stereotype about women in charge: can't maintain control, unprofessional, can't get along with other women, and a liar, with hints of "bad mother" thrown in. Director jail is real and the sentences tend to be longer for women. Making your major studio movie appear to be a messy trainwreck for social media clout isn't actually a thing, outside the imaginings of Deuxmoi readers.

7 hours ago, cookie said:

If this is a publicity stunt it’s as poorly executed as the film itself apparently is, since so far it’s been to the benefit of nobody involved.

IDK, Venice has been a huge boost for Pine in the Battle of the Chrises. Pugh has also gotten kudos for her unbothered ways, though some may think she's milking it.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cookie said:

This panned mess has had multiple test screenings so they must have known it was a stinker. A movie like this would completely bomb with bad reviews but now everyone is talking about it. Also Olivia seems desperate to finally gain the stardom she failed to attain through acting. Did you see her magazine shoot? 

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

why would anyone think Pugh looks good in this mess, you promote the film, period, that's your job, there is definitely something wrong behind the scenes, if she did the absolute bare minimum

Some people love it when they see people who have been wronged get revenge in petty ways. Especially if they can view it as Sticking It To The Man.

Probably a symptom of revenge fantasy at work.  

Not saying I disagree with your take, as you're right about professionalism.  But, well, there are clearly people cheering her on, and I suspect that's the main reason.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think she will direct some small movie, if it's good like Booksmart she'll be fine 

But yeah no way this is fabricated, it's too messy and completely out of her control since some of the attacks she's getting is really unfair.

this

why the hell would harry styles wanna be in a stunt like this?? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

why would anyone think Pugh looks good in this mess, you promote the film, period, that's your job, there is definitely something wrong behind the scenes, if she did the absolute bare minimum

Think one could argue from a fan perspective, her actions - saying no to an accused abuser, being upset at oversexualization on screen, generally sticking up for herself and setting standards - can be endearing, and doing the bare minimum in promotion as a silent protest when it became clear she was going to be left dangling in the wind

With that said, from a studio perspective, it will almost certainly give her a reputation as "difficult actress", not willing to "play ball", which probably impacts opportunities moving forward

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is there really any proof that Florence Pugh actually had problems with LaBeouf? The receipts would seem to contradict that. 

Not sure what receipts you’re referring to since Wilde’s plea video is definitely pointing in the direction that Pugh and LaBeouf didn’t get along.

Edited by cookie

I imagine the careers of everyone will be fine in the long run (if neither this or My Policeman work out I imagine Styles will just sink back into his singing career full time). Even Wilde, even if this ended up a rough lesson in "don't try and cater to the social media crowd for progressive brownie points."

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, DAJK said:

It’s not like this is a Master Of Disguise level terrible (at least as far as early reviews indicate). Wilde will be fine.

Especially if this manages to do well at the box office! If studios see any hit potential in a director, they’ll use them again. It’s what’s kept Shyamalan making films even after misfires like The Happening, After Earth, etc. 

I think this could ended up fine.

Unless it's absurdally frontloaded it should open with 25-30M based on presales

If people hated maybe legs will be awful, but from what i read it seems like the movie is entertaining enough. The critics are disappointed because it had much potential and Wilde is coming from a very beloved project, but it's not exactly a disaster with a 5.4 average