Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Random thought: I think what a lot of people like about Batman being so dark is the darkness finally gives a sense of stakes. The MCU is awesome, and sometimes downright addictive, but I don't feel any sense of weight or stakes outside maybe Infinity War and Endgame. 

But you watch something like Joker, these Batman trailers, or anything Gotham related really, and you feel like the problems there are REAL. It feels more real and weighty than a big intergalactic baddie or a super robot like Ultron. I don't know if anyone follows but I figured I'd give my 2 cents on the subject. It's not like we're all a bunch of manic-depressives who love doom and gloom. It's just nice to watch a superhero movie where you feel the weight of the hero's task.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Val357 said:

Random thought: I think what a lot of people like about Batman being so dark is the darkness finally gives a sense of stakes. The MCU is awesome, and sometimes downright addictive, but I don't feel any sense of weight or stakes outside maybe Infinity War and Endgame. 

But you watch something like Joker, these Batman trailers, or anything Gotham related really, and you feel like the problems there are REAL. It feels more real and weighty than a big intergalactic baddie or a super robot like Ultron. I don't know if anyone follows but I figured I'd give my 2 cents on the subject. It's not like we're all a bunch of manic-depressives who love doom and gloom. It's just nice to watch a superhero movie where you feel the weight of the hero's task.

Agree 100%.  It’s nice to have a film that feels serious and has real stakes.  

• Like 1

I should preface this by saying I’m there day one in IMAX regardless, but that trailer kind of did absolutely nothing for me and I much preferred the first teaser from last year. That trailer at least set the tone and gave a decent hint at the story, whereas this one is just action, action, action with no context. I love Batman and as I said, I'm there regardless, but I need a reason to give a shit, and this trailer didn’t do that at all. Hopefully they release another one that actually tells us what the story is about. I want to see more Riddler and less CGI explosions.

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’ve finally realized I don’t really like the movie Batmans anymore. 

Didn't you say you were going to stay out of this thread because the movie wasn't for you when the last trailer came out? Something about unicorns and positivity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tele sounds like an old jaded fart.

For the record, i'm not chomping at the bits here but when it comes around i'll give it a watch in a theater near me which i don't do for 99% of comic book movies.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

The grain replication in some of these images is insanely good. Fraiser seems to have completely mastered it at this point. Also seems like maybe his best looking film since Killing Me Softly. Didn't expect to be excited by anything shown here (only thing would've been an Aquaman 2 trailer), but I guess put me somewhere on the hype train for this.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The grain replication in some of these images is insanely good. Fraiser seems to have completely mastered it at this point. Also seems like maybe his best looking film since Killing Me Softly. Didn't expect to be excited by anything shown here (only thing would've been an Aquaman 2 trailer), but I guess put me somewhere on the hype train for this.

Love his work on Rogue One too!

I’m always looking foreword to a new Batman movie and this is no different, but damn did that trailer WOW me. This looks soooooooo freaking good to me. 

That shit where he’s walking towards the guys shooting at him was bad ass and the last part with the Penguin is great. 

• Like 1

I was intrigued by the apparent direction Matt Reeves was going in prior to this trailer, and after this trailer, I may be the most excited I have been in a while to see a comic book film. This looks like it could be a pretty compelling take on Batman. That final sequence, and in particular that final shot, of the trailer gave me chills.

I've seen enough to want to see the film in theatres. We'll see how the film pans out.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5