Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

1 hour ago, TMP said:

I mean, idk if there's much debate as to whether blue beetle's gonna bomb. I guess the next debate will be over... joker 2?

I will actually debate that, its trailer views do not look awful to me, and it at least has a fairly low budget so it doesn't need massive numbers. If it's good I could see it being profitable. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

10 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I will actually debate that, its trailer views do not look awful to me, and it at least has a fairly low budget so it doesn't need massive numbers. If it's good I could see it being profitable. 

idk, it just looks way too TV for me to expect anything more than $70m DOM for it. Maybe the Latino angle will help it, but idk if it's even gonna capture that audience or they'd just be turned off by how small it looks

3 hours ago, von Kenni said:

My pseudo-sense will bet that we'll go through this same discussion with Blue Beetle. I can already be amazed at how that can succeed but need to check the budget and maybe the latino targeting works...but now I'm getting ahead of the discussion. One slaughter at a time ;)

Budget is 120M. Just needs to match the first Shazam and it’ll be profitable. Maybe the character will even get added into Gunn’s new DCU… Booster Gold is getting a show after all and superhero’s will already be established in that universe 

• Like 1

Good god people, get a grip!

Flash looks absolutely to be a WOM success regardless of what happens opening day. That is a big win for Blue Beetle.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

For what it’s worth, Blue Beetle has a much better views/likes ratio than all the previous DC films released in the last 3 years (outside of the Batman of course). 

it’s in the 400K-500K range on YT, similar to Black Adam but way above The Flash (200K range), Shazam 2 (100K range), TSS (100K range) and Birds of Prey (300K range). The Batman (1M) and WW84 (700K) beat it though… maybe a 40-50M opening is in the cards? Hoping for one in the 50’s

8 minutes ago, El Gato said:

For what it’s worth, Blue Beetle has a much better views/likes ratio than all the previous DC films released in the last 3 years (outside of the Batman of course). 

it’s in the 400K-500K range on YT, similar to Black Adam but way above The Flash (200K range), Shazam 2 (100K range), TSS (100K range) and Birds of Prey (300K range). The Batman (1M) and WW84 (700K) beat it though… maybe a 40-50M opening is in the cards? Hoping for one in the 50’s

You have to add in the WB channel numbers for Flash trailer 1 but even then Flash is barely ahead. Plus movies from a year ago will probably be higher as trailer likes were higher in general on YouTube then but I do agree (hence why I made the initial post). If it's well-reviewed and the Hispanic angle actually strikes a chord I wouldn't be surprised with it beating Flash OW. Curious how the second trailer will do. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

3 hours ago, El Gato said:

I think I can add some context for this. The actress that plays the love interest of Blue Beetle is Bruna Marquezine, arguably one of the most famous actresses and influencers here in Brazil. Her fandom is pretty fucking massive, which would help understand some of it. 

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Those Visuals Effects are really poor.

How the fuck did CGI this bad make it into a major theatrical release? You'd think all the delays would help in that regard. This sequence sums up everything wrong with the DCEU and is why the reboot needs to come yesterday.

• Knock It Off 1

48 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

How the fuck did CGI this bad make it into a major theatrical release? You'd think all the delays would help in that regard. This sequence sums up everything wrong with the DCEU and is why the reboot needs to come yesterday.

My guess (only a guess!) is that the vfx were a victim of the WBD cuts. Sure, it had a huge amount of post-production, but we don't know if the VFX were being worked the entire time. I'd be fascinated to find out.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

CG isn't worked on the entire time. One of the VFX artists who worked on WW84 did an AMA during the pandemic and he said that his VFX house was told to stop working on the film 4-5 months before release. IIRC it was a budget issue. 

• Like 1

Some thoughts on the challenges on this film in the days ahead, as I don't want to clog the tracking thread.

As someone tracking a theatre in a very young kid based area, my area continues to track below other trackers. There's lots of potential reasons, but, this isn't resonating with younger kids.

My kids (8 and 10) ask about almost every big movie coming out, and they have zero interest in this film. They've asked about plenty of things outside their age range, like Fast X, and Mission Impossible. The older one usually wants to see every comic book film, and I think we've watched every major comic book title of the last couple of years except Venom, The Suicide Squad (which I specifically rejected both requests due to rating), and Morbius (thankfully, has never come up).

I have a family member that works in the merchandising side and they're handling this property. He asked my kids if they had interest, and point blank they said no, it looks like its for grown ups.

And, as someone who was in junior high when Keaton's Batman came out, I don't really know anyone my age that's excited for this based on his return, and remain skeptical that the older demo will give this a final push.

We'll see where things land, but to me, it's going to be a film that has to rely on that core, male, 15-30 demographic. The good news is that crowd shows up for movies. But they've also had an abundance of options at the theatre recently, and, tracking suggests that they're not particularly enthused yet about this.