TMP

Ferrari | December 25, 2023 | Mann/Driver | NEON

On 8/30/2023 at 1:47 PM, TheDude391 said:

If Killers of the Flower Moon overperforms like I expect it to (paired with Oppenheimer's success), I think this has a strong shot of breaking out. It'll be good counter programming for adults this holiday season as well. 

On the negative side, it is not getting the kind of reviews that Oppie got and Flower Moon is likely to get.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

This does look good,,,much ot my surprise. I was not impressed by Mann's last couple of films.

Still, I think "Grand Prix" is the best racing movie ever made, even today the racing scenes are incredible; 

I should watch that again, I haven’t seen it since I was a kid, and I remember it being kinda boring overall. RUSH was okay but Howard isn’t nearly the caliber of director as Frankenheimer (not nearly the caliber of racing aficionado either).

21 hours ago, dudalb said:

And Ford vs Ferrari not that long ago was something of a critic's pet.

Are you trying to suggest critics overplayed how good it was?

It literally has a 98% audience score on RT. It was a total crowdpleaser as well as getting plenty of 5* reviews.

Just saw the film a solid Mann entry with great performances, drama, emotions and cool racing scenes.

Hopefully it will make a decent amount of money out of its $95M budget in order to green light Heat 2.

Edited by Mr Roark
  • Like 2

I love vintage Mann but I struggle to think of another director who keeps getting shockingly big budgets based on diminishing goodwill from past glories. Ridley Scott, I suppose, but even he feels like he still has a huge hit left in him.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 12:57 AM, Hatebox said:

I love vintage Mann but I struggle to think of another director who keeps getting shockingly big budgets based on diminishing goodwill from past glories. Ridley Scott, I suppose, but even he feels like he still has a huge hit left in him.

I mean I loves me some Scorsese but he’s gotten 200m+ to make his last couple period pics. Is 95m really that “shockingly big”?

Its just that Apple is throwing money to get prestige director to their platform. I dont think they will do it again for Scorsese. Netflix funded Irishman and then did not do another Scorsese movie. 

But making these financial disaster ultimately brings down reputation of Scorsese. I dont see why pay even Leo 30-40m for these movies when they dont make money. Let him participate in 1st dollar backend if its worth anything :-)

Michael Mann has not made anything critically acclaimed since Collateral almost 2 decades ago. Ridley scott has done better but he is huge hit and miss as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its just that Apple is throwing money to get prestige director to their platform. I dont think they will do it again for Scorsese. Netflix funded Irishman and then did not do another Scorsese movie.

Netflix offered to fund Killers for 215 mln, but Marty wanted even more money and theatrical release, so the best offer won.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean I loves me some Scorsese but he’s gotten 200m+ to make his last couple period pics. Is 95m really that “shockingly big”?

scorcese’s last hit was almost a decade after Mann’s so perhaps the goodwill burns brighter…

(flower moon and Irishman’s budgets was absurd of course. I get the prestige argument but I hate the streaming money pit model whichever auteur’s benefitting from it) 

Edited by Hatebox

liked this quite a bit. can admit it didn't always hold my interesting. Basically any scene with Shailene Woodley I was clocking out. she was awful yeesh. But on the opposite end Penelope Cruz was amazing. Feels like Emily Blunt in Oppenheimer and Carey Mulligan in Maestro are getting all the "long suffering wife in the biopic" awards buzz this year but neither are half as good as Cruz is in this.

• Like 1

Same here! A guy behind me literally gasped and then exclaimed "Holy shit!"

I've seen two sports-related films in as many days, and this was a solid, moody contrast to the more paint-by-numbers, straight down the middle sentimentality of The Boys in the Boat. All the driving scenes hum with intensity, and Driver and Cruz both deliver impressively tuned performances. Maybe my favorite Mann since Collateral? At the very least, it's in the same rock solid B+ ballpark as Miami Vice and Public Enemies for me.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 2:39 PM, Avatree said:

Are you trying to suggest critics overplayed how good it was?

It literally has a 98% audience score on RT. It was a total crowdpleaser as well as getting plenty of 5* reviews.

Really, really late with this but I loved Ford vs Ferrari.Just saying the critical sucess of it sort of makes it a tough act for Ferrari to follow.