Eric Loves Rey

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

I watched an hour of this before work, and then I’m gonna finish it up tonight. It’s all right so far. I really miss movie theaters, boys. I had to force myself to put my phone away and watch the movie.

• Like 3

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-forecast-godzilla-vs-kong-gears-up-for-pandemic-era-breakout-at-domestic-theaters-could-hit-35m-debut/

Godzilla vs. Kong Forecast Ranges
3-Day Weekend Range: $17 – 27 million
5-Day Opening Range: $28 – 38 million

Preliminary Weekend Forecast

(Updates to follow…)

Film Distributor 3-Day Weekend Forecast Projected Domestic Total through Sunday, April 4 Location Count % Change from Last Wknd
Godzilla vs. Kong Warner Bros. Studios $22,000,000 $35,000,000 2,409 on Wed. / 3,064 on Fri. NEW
Nobody Universal Pictures $3,500,000 $12,300,000 ~2,500 -49%
Raya and the Last Dragon Walt Disney Pictures $3,300,000 $33,300,000 ~2,200 -12%
Tom & Jerry Warner Bros. Studios $2,400,000 $40,600,000 ~2,200 -11%
The Unholy Sony Pictures / Screen Gems $2,000,000 $2,000,000 ~1,850 NEW

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cap said:

TCM is showing all the OG films!!  King Kong is stunning from a SFX POV.  Just stunning.

I marathoned through all the major Kong movies (except King Kong Lives because it wasn't streaming everywhere...probably for good reason), and I was really floored at the visuals in the 1933 film. There's so much creativity in the use of stop motion and green screens and the way they cut corners that it's still pretty solid and creative stuff even today.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

There's so much creativity in the use of stop motion and green screens

I think green or blue screen composition was just a bit after 1933, back in those days they projected image on a transparent screen behind the actor and it was almost all in camera effects.

https://cinefex.com/blog/tag/dunning-process/

Dynamation-300x161.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

I marathoned through all the major Kong movies (except King Kong Lives because it wasn't streaming everywhere...probably for good reason), and I was really floored at the visuals in the 1933 film. There's so much creativity in the use of stop motion and green screens and the way they cut corners that it's still pretty solid and creative stuff even today.

King Kong Lives used to air on TNT and Turner South (now a defunct channel but always had a terrific movie line up for most nights if you liked 80s-90s B-movies) all the time back in the early-mid 2000s. Actually had the DVD, and might still have it. 

Yes, it's really bad, but it's actually rather charming.

I saw this last week. Didn't like it that much, but hope that it can ignite the US box office with the amount of vaccinated steadily rising.

Still don't think it'll do much better than any of the pandemic movies so far but hope I'm wrong.