Eric Duncan

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Yes boxoffice is back and feeling is back! :bravo:

Fantastic opening! Do you guys think that studios might get encouraged to go for full theatrical in the upcoming months instead of the hybrid release (theater and streaming)? :crosses fingers for Black Widow full theatrical:

Doubt so. Especially for those announced - I.e. Black Widow.

Actually if this does well - more studios might be encouraged to do more hybrid release especially this year as such releases show that people are CHOOSING to go back to cinema even though they can watch in the comfort of their own home.

if legs of GvK is good, it shows the success of this Hybrid form of release.

10 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Actually if this does well - more studios might be encouraged to do more hybrid release especially this year as such releases show that people are CHOOSING to go back to cinema even though they can watch in the comfort of their own home.

This doesn't make sense. The hybrid release in of itself isn't leading to bigger box office numbers. Best of both worlds is to release theatrically, then release to streaming a month or so later like Universal. The hybrid model only dampens box office. It's yet to be seen if sub additions are enough to offset. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

This doesn't make sense. The hybrid release in of itself isn't leading to bigger box office numbers. Best of both worlds is to release theatrically, then release to streaming a month or so later like Universal. The hybrid model only dampens box office. It's yet to be seen if sub additions are enough to offset. 

In the long term, probably yes...but WB's move got them seen as the consistent movie releaser this year.  Folks in theaters were constantly seeing their movie previews and were confident in the films getting released, so they could plan on them, talk them up to friends.  HBO Max touted the movies on the backend, getting folks talking about the coming movies and what might be nice to see on the big screen.  Theaters were willing to actually advertise them early locally and big chains were willing to make them marquee advertisements in their emails, b/c the movies were actually going to be shown.

Notice in all this - WB got their movies talked about...and that seems to be the BIG reason movies are making bank.  They have to be in the public conscience of being worth seeing in some way...

WB figured out how to win the Covid era.  I see In The Heights and Space Jam 2 going bonkers this summer...right movies, right time, right studio and release strategy...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In the long term, probably yes...but WB's move got them seen as the consistent movie releaser this year.  Folks in theaters were constantly seeing their movie previews and were confident in the films getting released, so they could plan on them, talk them up to friends.  HBO Max touted the movies on the backend, getting folks talking about the coming movies and what might be nice to see on the big screen.  Theaters were willing to actually advertise them early locally and big chains were willing to make them marquee advertisements in their emails, b/c the movies were actually going to be shown.

Notice in all this - WB got their movies talked about...and that seems to be the BIG reason movies are making bank.  They have to be in the public conscience of being worth seeing in some way...

WB figured out how to win the Covid era.  I see In The Heights and Space Jam 2 going bonkers this summer...right movies, right time, right studio and release strategy...

You might be right that there was a marketing feedback loop happening, with HBO Max providing extra marketing for the theatrical releases. Hadn't really thought of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

This "Best of both worlds" scenario you are saying... is 2019 and before.

You are saying this because box office numbers are more transparent and you feel.. tangible. We are all of course cheering for big box office numbers, but you must also look at it from a studio's PoV. A hybrid release also captures revenues in parts of the country / world where cinemas are still shut and add to their subscription base - which to a certain extend is recurring revenue if these subscribers stay.

Studios are focusing on streaming and eg: D+ premium access - see 100% revenues thru their streaming platform. Just because we are in a box office forum, doesn't mean our mindset should not be shifted.

My comment stands, i don't think any big titles that has already been announced for Hybrid release will suddenly eat their words and only release theatrically - why go offend your subscribers?

7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Thank you! Marketing POV from your other post makes a lot of sense. :)

Edited by Valonqar

Watched Godzilla 2014 for the first time, will try to fit in the other Monsterverse films (which I have seen before) before watching GvK. I found it to be quite a good film. The beginning was bogged down by exposition, and Bryan Cranston's character didn't do much for me, but after they land in Hawaii the film is absolutely fantastic. Tension is built really well and the visuals are astounding. The directing is what really makes this one, I wish we would see some more Gareth Edwards blockbusters beyond this and Rogue One (and Rogue One was only partly his). 

• Like 3

Total 16.3m in 2 days, about 30% drop from 9.6m OD 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">GODZILLA VS. KONG<br>$6.7M Thursday Domestic Estimate <br>$16.3M 2-Day Domestic Total <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GodzillaVsKong?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GodzillaVsKong</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoxOffice?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BoxOffice</a></p>&mdash; Boxoffice Pro (@BoxOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/1377998490572357633?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 2, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 6

Just now, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It seems that it will be an O/U 50M.

Pretty good considering the circumstances. I’m actually surprised at how good the numbers are. Legs will probably be bad since it’s on Hbo too. Has it leaked online yet?

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Pretty good considering the circumstances. I’m actually surprised at how good the numbers are. Legs will probably be bad since it’s on Hbo too. Has it leaked online yet?

It leaked on Wednesday...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Not sure about that. Tom and Jerry is easily getting a 3.0x despite bad reviews, and competition from Raya. I doubt it would get a much better multiple on a 'normal' scenario. 

• Like 1

WB apparently report their first daily gross for 01 Apr. 

YD Release Daily %± YD %± LW Theaters Avg To Date Days Distributor
1 - Tom and Jerry $357,142 - - 2,464 $144 $37,100,000 35 Warner Bros.
2 - Wonder Woman 1984 $35,000 - - 1,128 $31 $45,857,000 98 Warner Bros.
3 - The Little Things $20,000 - - 1,001 $19 $14,912,000 63 Warner Bros.
4 - Judas and the Black Messiah $15,000 - - 842 $17 $5,195,000 49 Warner Bros.

Also, why didn't BOM reflect Tom and jerry last weekend actual number? it was 200k+ higher than estimate

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TOM &amp; JERRY<br>$2.7M Weekend (Actual)<br>2,464 Screens / $1,097 Avg.<br>Weekend 5 / -29% Change<br>$37.26M Total (North America)<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TomAndJerry?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TomAndJerry</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoxOffice?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BoxOffice</a></p>&mdash; Boxoffice Pro (@BoxOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/1376957319821455361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 30, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Not sure about that. Tom and Jerry is easily getting a 3.0x despite bad reviews, and competition from Raya. I doubt it would get a much better multiple on a 'normal' scenario. 

Yeah, it's clear that HBO Max isn't really gaining many new subscribers/activations for the day-and-date strategy. WW84 only gained a few million from Early December, and at that point, not even 50% of HBO subscribers activated Max. Audiences who want to see the films in theaters will keep going there instead of getting another streaming service.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Anyone who doubted that big grossers were coming back... still think that? :Venom: 

Lmao at saying a 80-90M grosser is a big grosser :hahaha:This shit cost like 200M, it is a bombastic FLOP.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2