Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve heard “avengers  fatigue” and “superhero fatigue” twice this weekend in person. 

I blame all the TV shows. 

(off topic but Falcon & Winter Soldier is a chore to sit through, still only on episode 4). 

People talk about this imminent fatigue since 2015 at this point it's just nonsense.

Superheroes movies and TV shows could be done in so many different genres that it always can feel fresh. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Start a DEH>ITH club then coward

I was thinking DEH>LLL as a sequel to my first LLL club...

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

also I know the meltdown stuff is fun and all but we just had to put my aunts dog down so I’m peacing out until after I see Heights tonight, later

I'm really sorry to hear :whosad: Take it easy and enjoy ITH (which you will)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

good for James Corden , WB gave him the Friends bump 

That Friends Special solidified my belief that America is getting ready to send James Corden back home like they did Russel Brand and Fat Amy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

ITH was supposed to open against TG2 before pandemic. I was sure ITH could have won that weekend. That's how much you guys and other film forums hyped ITH. It's shocking to see the actual numbers

Whats TG2? The Grudge 2?

25 minutes ago, Maggie said:

In light of the poor performance of ITH, what do we think about the potential of WSS? It will surely do better, but i was dreaming of something over 200M...

Unless you're Cats (because it was Cats lol), musicals released around Christmas have been doing numbers in the $125-175M range the past decade. That seems like the right expectation to have for West Side Story, preferably on the lower end.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Ehh, probably like 115M or something.

That's bad for pre-pandemic standards. It would be ok-ish for current standards. Still disappointing for Spielberg. Ansel's career could die if it flops. :stretcher:

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

People talk about this imminent fatigue since 2015 at this point it's just nonsense.

Superheroes movies and TV shows could be done in so many different genres that it always can feel fresh. 

Not imminent fatigue for everyone, just two people telling me their own opinions. 

I’m personally not fatigued, but I don’t watch them all. While I’m not impressed with the Disney+ shows so far, I’m still dying to see Black Widow. And thankfully, these shows aren’t a requirement (some were claiming this back when they were announced). 

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

295k in 2020. 40% of Joker. #14 2020.

That’s great, considering Joker was the biggest of the whole year. Any 2021 totals for BOP?

I know Wonder Woman 1984 is still the biggest of 2021 so far and it’s first week on disc (after two weeks #1 on downloads alone) of 72k is still the biggest single week of the year.

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

HBO Max releases aren't free. Max subscription is what $15?

They've added a $10 subscription either with ads or without them recently. The theatrical movies are only available on the $15 plan (considering that there are also a lot of people who were already paying for HBO through cable providers and can get Max as basically a freebie to go along with it, yeah these movies are pretty much free for many).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

HBO Max releases aren't free. Max subscription is what $15?

Free at no extra cost to HBO max subscribers. 

20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

#2 after Frozen

1.4m for Joker, 1.3m for Frozen 2 counting up to 31/12/20. 

Frozen didn’t make the top 3 for digital sales. Joker was #1 on all three: disc, digital and VOD. 

Edited by Krissykins

Jun 11: 12M (7.7M weekdays, 19.7M Total)

Jun 18: 9.1M (3.4M weekdays, 32.2M Total)

Jun 25: 3.9M (2.3M weekdays, 38.4M Total)

Jul 2: 2.7M (1.2M weekdays, 42.3M Total)

Jul 9: 1M (500k weekdays, 43.8M Total)

Jul 16: 500k (300k weekdays, 44.6M Total)

Final Total: 46M (3.83x)

There will be two tests for ITH's legs:

1. Can it have a good Father's Day hold when it's losing the majority of its PLF screens to HWB?

2. Can it survive F9's four quad appeal in addition to a harsher Sunday drop without FD?

I think yes to #1 and no to #2. FD will add a few million to its total, but getting to 50M (and a 4x) likely relies on a sub-50% drop against F9. The Fourth of July will provide a strong hold, but then Black Widow and no holiday will decimate it before most of its theaters are gone on the 16th.

• Sad 1