TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It sucks to hear this is doing so poorly since I normally like Vaughn's stuff. Loved Kick Ass, First Class, and the First Kingsman, and I dug Kings Man a lot too.

It feels like this may be him hitting rock bottom one would hope. First Class is great and every film since then has been a step down. First Kingsman still great but not as good.  The sequel I sill enjoy for what it is but no where close to the first and the Kings Man still has good stuff but it does not come together in the end in my opinion. 

I was kinda rooting for this film for some reason, but now literally everything is pointing toward this being a poor film.

Apple’s film strategy is just not working. Napoleon was a flop with critics and audiences. Argylle is an even bigger flop. Even KOTFM had its awards buzz evaporate once it went wide and is depending on Gladstone to prevent it from being The Irishman 2.0. Apple’s TV side was significantly more successful right out of the gate.

Edited by Speedorito

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It sucks to hear this is doing so poorly since I normally like Vaughn's stuff. Loved Kick Ass, First Class, and the First Kingsman, and I dug Kings Man a lot too.

You may like this film. Its audience score is above Speed Racer and Idiocracy, and I've seem people froth at the mouth to defend those films, so I suspect this film will have an audience, too.

This is a film that would have played better at the theaters pre-Internet.

EDIT:

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I was kinda rooting for this film for some reason, but now literally everything is pointing toward this being a poor film.

Apple’s film strategy is just not working. Napoleon was a flop with critics and audiences. Argylle is an even bigger flop. Even KOTFM had its awards buzz evaporate once it went wide and is depending on Gladstone to prevent it from being The Irishman 2.0. Apple’s TV side was significantly more successful right out of the gate.

Their strategy was to ignore modern trends and act like the theatrical experience is the same as it was pre-internet. All three films of theirs would have done better in a world where films can't be discussed in real-time with people all over the world.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Haha 1

I am kind of getting a kick out of this whole people are too mean and grumpy now on the internet  for this movie to succeed defense. While I agree with the people being too mean and grumpy part sometimes a bad movie is just a bad movie and for people to die on the hill of this movie is weird.  Of course I have not seen it yet and maybe when I watch it on Apple + I will be like this movie did not deserve this fate. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I am kind of getting a kick out of this whole people are too mean and grumpy now on the internet  for this movie to succeed defense. While I agree with the people being too mean and grumpy part sometimes a bad movie is just a bad movie and for people to die on the hill of this movie is weird.  Of course I have not seen it yet and maybe when I watch it on Apple + I will be like this movie did not deserve this fate. 

Time and time again, the internet has proven that it has little power over what keeping something from becoming popular (see Hogwarts Legacy) so the film's failure is all it's own.

I blame the marketing gimmick of "avoid spoilers." This isn't a Marvel film. But even if it was, we're seeing people get tired of Marvel culture of "no spoilers." This film should have just been advertised as a standard action comedy. I mean, the film still might have failed, but at least people would have known exactly what to expect.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Time and time again, the internet has proven that it has little power over what keeping something from becoming popular (see Hogwarts Legacy) so the film's failure is all it's own.

I blame the marketing gimmick of "avoid spoilers." This isn't a Marvel film. But even if it was, we're seeing people get tired of Marvel culture of "no spoilers." This film should have just been advertised as a standard action comedy. I mean, the film still might have failed, but at least people would have known exactly what to expect.

I mean sure maybe it would have opened slightly better if they had not done the JJ Abrams mystery box marketing stuff with it but in the end the movie was the movie and it would have died after opening anyway most likely. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Has there ever been a point when people on the Internet weren’t mean and grumpy? The Internet and moviegoing culture has always been a shithole in general. 

I think the issue is most movie discourse online revolves around children’s entertainment, so a lot of the angriest & loudest voices will be children. You don’t really see people getting into flame-wars over Zone of Interest on twitter haha

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think the issue is most movie discourse online revolves around children’s entertainment, so a lot of the angriest & loudest voices will be children. You don’t really see people getting into flame-wars over Zone of Interest on twitter haha

People get into flame wars over virtually everything on Twitter. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

Discourse surrounding “adult” entertainment gets pretty testy, especially during awards seasons.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

FYI - the film's corporate entity appears to be MARV QUINN PRODUCTIONS LIMITED though I'm struggling to see how you get from that document to the reported $200M budget for this single film. 

The production budget wasn't 200M, Apple acquired a completed movie for 200M. Whatever the difference between the budget and the acquisition price was profit for the production company (minus buying out backends). After that, it is Apple's headache.

5 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I mean sure maybe it would have opened slightly better if they had not done the JJ Abrams mystery box marketing stuff with it but in the end the movie was the movie and it would have died after opening anyway most likely. 

Maybe, but maybe not. We'll know once it hits streaming how people really feel about the film, once the marketing is behind us.

This was ludicrously stupid in so many parts, and the pace was excessive, but it was fun. Check your brain out the door and you'll end up enjoying yourself.

Spoiler

[/spoiler]The scene with them throwing the colored gas and then dancing while shooting at the bad guys was the best scene. I wish the movie had that verve throughout the entire film.[/spoiler]

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Noctis said:

This was ludicrously stupid in so many parts, and the pace was excessive, but it was fun. Check your brain out the door and you'll end up enjoying yourself.

might want to remove the / from the first spoiler bracket

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

The production budget wasn't 200M, Apple acquired a completed movie for 200M. Whatever the difference between the budget and the acquisition price was profit for the production company (minus buying out backends). After that, it is Apple's headache.

Sure, but how much money did Vaughn/Marv bank on this film? I think the obvious answer is that I'm just missing something about how its set up (there are more non UK costs than I suspect and they don't show up on the ledger?). It's more just flagging this as a piece of hard evidence for these Argylle cost discussions. 

24 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Sure, but how much money did Vaughn/Marv bank on this film? I think the obvious answer is that I'm just missing something about how its set up (there are more non UK costs than I suspect and they don't show up on the ledger?). It's more just flagging this as a piece of hard evidence for these Argylle cost discussions. 

The only cost that matters for BO discussion is the $200 million that Apple paid, though, right? I guess I wonder why how much they made back matters.