TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

I just assumed the hate for this on these boards came from it being a Matthew Vaughan film. I could be mixing it up, but I thought I remember reading somewhere in a thread that there were quite a few people on here who don't like him/his films.

Regarding Cavill's filmography. Post-BvS:

Sand Castle (2017) - netflix, flop and panned

MI: Fallout (2018) - his participation was one of the weakest links

Night Hunter (2018) - a bomb

Enola Holmes (2020) - netflix

Enola Holmes 2 (2022) - netflix

Argyle - his return to the big screen after long years, already 3.1 on LB

Yeah, his filmograhy just sucks. Good thing his buddy Ritchie will have him on the big screen once again.

Being beautiful is very important to Hollywood of course, but it's proven again that it's not enough if you want an extensive successful and acclaimed career. He's a more decent actor than someone like Megan Fox for example, I'll give him that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I just assumed the hate for this on these boards came from it being a Matthew Vaughan film. I could be mixing it up, but I thought I remember reading somewhere in a thread that there were quite a few people on here who don't like him/his films.

But why are people rooting for a failure? Like, at this point, these failures are only hurting movie theaters.

Maybe I'm just cynical and disenchanted, but it's depressing when it feels like people are eager to record this film's time of death.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yeah, his filmograhy just sucks. Good thing his buddy Ritchie will have him on the big screen once again.

Being beautiful is very important to Hollywood of course, but it's proven again that it's not enough if you want an extensive successful and acclaimed career. He's a more decent actor than someone like Megan Fox for example, I'll give him that.

I'd say among general audiences, Cavill was pretty well-liked in MI6. Lots of people remember the fist-guns, and at least anecdotally my dad and uncle refer to Fallout as "the one with Superman". Plus, while Enola Holmes are Netflix, they were well-reviewed and well-liked. Witcher was also a pretty beloved hit among its core audience.

I wouldn't say Cavill is A-list, but he's done pretty well for himself. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Lol wut

Also, this post just kind of side steps his work in Witcher which people absolutely loved him in and he carried the show.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Lol wut

Also, this post just kind of side steps his work in Witcher which people absolutely loved him in and he carried the show.

Yeah exactly like WTF on being a wink Link in Fallout. Okay. That'a Hot Take I guess. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't get the hate for the trailer. Nothing about it looks bad to me. It's weird how, in a year that desperately needs a miracle for the box office to perform better than last year's, people are actively rooting against certain films, including this one.

Are we for the theatrical experience, or against it? Sometimes, I can't tell. 

Just because movie theaters are struggling doesn't mean we have to automatically like or be nice towards movies we think look bad. I'm a Matthew Vaughn fan and really enjoy the Kingsman series, even the maligned second one, and I think it looks unfunny and annoying. It's also pretty condescending to act like being mean over this random movie means I hate the theatrical experience. I see just about every movie in theaters, and will probably check this out too. I go to see re-releases when I have the option available and I spend much of my free time going to the theater. But I guess I think one movie looks dumb and bad, I want movie theaters to die forever?

And besides, the state of theatrical, which isn't as dire as people are making it out to be, isn't reliant on one specific movie performing well. AMC isn't dependent on Argylle specifically to perform like gangbusters.

• Like 3

The hate (if we want to call it that) seems more annoyance at how the trailer for this has been everywhere the past four months than anything else. But that can be attributed to Universal needing something to attach and this being the most compatible title with what little they're putting out these days.

• Like 1

Cavill hate is ridiculous. If Cavill Superman vs. The Rock Black Adam was our lead summer movie, it would be opening to $150m+.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, DAJK said:

Vaughn has an extremely abrasive personality, he thinks the world of himself and act as if he’s Scorsese second coming. Nolan also has aloofness to him but Nolan got the credit to back it up. Vaughn makes visually boring fanboy fair with middling reviews yet he always has that condescending tone when discussing other filmmakers, actors or franchises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Cavill needs his own Conan (barbarian, but maybe hosting a late night talk show for the reddit crowd could be a big hit too)

Cavill already had his Conan with his Superman, meathead that rescues the helpless woman.

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can never get a handle on what the Internet consensus on Henry Cavill. People either really like him or think he’s a wooden plank. 

Can't he be both?  You like him, but admit he's a wooden plank...

I put him in the same category as John David Washington - they are both likeable and attractive, but tend to be charisma vacuums...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can never get a handle on what the Internet consensus on Henry Cavill. People either really like him or think he’s a wooden plank. 

He's too boring to get worked up over IMO. Also, the role of Superman has never really been a superhero role that has resulted in the kind of career boost actors hope to achieve. Those who have played Batman tend to have a stronger post-super track record (Oscar winner Bale, Oscar nominee Keaton), for instance. 

• Like 1