TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

No wonder Cavill dropped his management after this. Seriously, he signed in for a cameo in a movie that put him front and centre in the marketing and one that he could easily avoid. Now he gets another panned film to his credit that it will flop too. All things considered Howard is the lucky one here lol.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Does this getting a B or B- CinemaScore sound like a reasonable prediction to anyone?

B feels like a safe bet unless people are very forgiving about the lame twist for who the real agent Argylle is. It was technically spoiled when they announced the cast way back when but I could see it pissing a lot of the GA off, even those that are into campy spy movies. 

Edited by Wombat
Formatting

I've always liked Howard think she's a strong actress even in those Shyamalans she was very good but she's still never really had that great film role. That one Black Mirror episode is probably her best showcase.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

True (even if he's not grabbing great roles/projects that sound like surefire winners even on paper), but still, it's telling that a "Superman Curse" is a thing and a "Batman Curse" is not. :lol: Spider-Man still doesn't have enough of a big screen legacy yet for there to be any proclamations of Spidey Curse.

Looks are often prioritized above talent for Superman vs. Batman where Keaton taking on the role gave it a sheen of respect and appeal for more established actors like Bale, Affleck and Pattinson. So not really a curse but just the kind of actors cast.

There's no Spidey curse either considering Garfield started raking in the nominations and accolades after the TASM films.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

WTF went wrong with Vaughn. He used to make fun movies that were appreciated by both critics/audience. Now he is making absolute stinkers. Last Kingsman movie was terrible and now this is another. Plus WTF is Apple doing giving away 200m without doing due diligence.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Plus WTF is Apple doing giving away 200m without doing due diligence.  

Clearly, Apple is fine with spending 200m on these types of projects, as they have recently greenlit 2 more of these movies for later on in the year. These movies are loss leaders to get people to sign up for their streaming platform. If weren't willing to spend 200m for movies like KOTFM, it stands to reason that it would've been made at Netflix instead (and thus not get a theatrical release).

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Clearly, Apple is fine with spending 200m on these types of projects, as they have recently greenlit 2 more of these movies for later on in the year. These movies are loss leaders to get people to sign up for their streaming platform. If weren't willing to spend 200m for movies like KOTFM, it stands to reason that it would've been made at Netflix instead (and thus not get a theatrical release).

what films are you thinking about?

38 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

WTF went wrong with Vaughn. He used to make fun movies that were appreciated by both critics/audience. Now he is making absolute stinkers. Last Kingsman movie was terrible and now this is another.

My guess is he got too high on himself and the people around him became yes-men. 

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I still think this is going to be a film where the critic and audience scores will be diametrically opposed.

I’m not too sure about that. Letterboxd probably isn’t quite the best place to judge the film, but its score is already at a 2.9

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

It seems like stuff such as Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Monarch, etc are better at getting people to sign up for AppleTV+ and are better investments (putting culture aside). The shows last longer and actually win major awards. I doubt Argylle and Killers will drive a ton of signups, and Lily Gladstone is the only thing keeping the film’s awards buzz on life support.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

WTF went wrong with Vaughn. He used to make fun movies that were appreciated by both critics/audience. Now he is making absolute stinkers. Last Kingsman movie was terrible and now this is another. Plus WTF is Apple doing giving away 200m without doing due diligence.  

He strikes me as a reasonably clever guy who’s cornered himself into only making movies for adolescents. Perhaps after this he’ll decide to aim higher. 

Anyway, lol at Cavil being used in the thumbnail of every terrible review even though it’s a glorified cameo. Guy can’t catch a break.

Edited by Hatebox

Agent Argylle spoiled by article and associated tweet announcing the film 3 years ago

(warning: spoilers in article below)

https://observer.com/2021/07/matthew-vaughn-new-spy-thriller-bryce-dallas-howard-samuel-l-jackson/

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1412771411299647497

Edited by budice

6 minutes ago, budice said:

Agent Argylle spoiled by article and associated tweet announcing the film 3 years ago

(warning: spoilers in article below)

https://observer.com/2021/07/matthew-vaughn-new-spy-thriller-bryce-dallas-howard-samuel-l-jackson/

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1412771411299647497

I talked about this in the last weekend thread

Spoiler

because I always remembered that was the premise when they announced the movie and I guess they only decided it was a twist later.

• Like 2