TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

39 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Matthew Vaughn has always been kind of a hack. His best movie is still Layer Cake. 

Stardust is fun, and First Class is like 50% the best X-Men movie (the 50% focuse on Magneto). The first Kingsmen movie is also a lot of fun. He just completely lost his touch. It happens to directors sometimes, the worst example is probably Rob Reiner.

3 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Stardust is fun, and First Class is like 50% the best X-Men movie (the 50% focuse on Magneto). The first Kingsmen movie is also a lot of fun. He just completely lost his touch. It happens to directors sometimes, the worst example is probably Rob Reiner.

Appears Jane Goldman was the real star. Vaughn's been terrible without her.

Damn, I guess I was wrong about Argylle.

I still don't get why people want to hate this film so much, though. This Tweet for instance:

6 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Germain's review leans positive, so Lon has to jump in and put words in other critics' mouths. Why aren't critics allowed to enjoy this film at all?

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

Just got out of it, terrible...Vaughn is washed beyond belief. The post credits scene is one of the most embarrassing things I've seen in a while, dropped my rating half a star on that alone.

The twists are very predictable and there's SO many that the film ends up repetitive and lacking any attachment because it's constantly flipping the narrative. It's too clever for it's own good, you can sense the writers patting themselves on the back at the end of every scene.

It's also the fakest looking film with almost every scene having shoddy green screen. I truly don't believe most of the cast were in the same room together on set. The action scenes have some creative concepts but they're so slathered in CG and the bloodless PG-13 makes them all limp.

I'm baffled that they centred the marketing around THAT twist when...it's not that big of a deal when there's so much more going on. It would've at least sold the film on a semi interesting hook vs no hook at all.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I talked about this in the last weekend thread

Hide contents

because I always remembered that was the premise when they announced the movie and I guess they only decided it was a twist later.

Spoiler

It's Black Adam all over again. Warner also randomly decided a plot point revealed in the first trailer was a big twist they wanted to hide.

This also reminds me of Don't Worry Darling, where the leaked script from ages ago turned out to mostly be the movie we got, despite Olivia Wilde trying to deceive people into thinking the final story was different.

The movie's already falling apart if the recent tracking thread updates are any indication. The bad reviews are really going to kill this since it doesn't have the novelty factor that saved some other bad movies like Mario and Freddy's.

27 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:
  Hide contents

It's Black Adam all over again. Warner also randomly decided a plot point revealed in the first trailer was a big twist they wanted to hide.

This also reminds me of Don't Worry Darling, where the leaked script from ages ago turned out to mostly be the movie we got, despite Olivia Wilde trying to deceive people into thinking the final story was different.

The movie's already falling apart if the recent tracking thread updates are any indication. The bad reviews are really going to kill this since it doesn't have the novelty factor that saved some other bad movies like Mario and Freddy's.

Spoiler

Wait, what did they want to hide that was in the first trailer?

Just now, emoviefan said:

I wonder if the Deadpool 3 people right now are like uh Yeah Matthew we are good we don't need you hyping up our movie. 

The DC brass is the one who should be concerned, since they supposedly have him attached to The Authority. That'll most likely not be case anymore after Argylle bombs, but considering Andy Muschietti is apparently still attached to their Batman reboot, they might just try to make it work instead.