TheDarkKnightOfSteel

ARGYLLE| Matthew Vaughn| Henry Cavill, Samuel L. Jackson, Bryce Dallas Howard, Bryan Cranston, Sam Rockwell | February 2, 2023

7 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I guess this is just proof that people actually want trailers that "give away the plot," so to speak. Marvel was an exception. And just 2015-2019 Marvel. 

They could have sold this movie much better than they did and not gave away the twists. They knew they had a stinker on their hands and here we are. 

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I have to say, the apparent downfall of directors like Taika Waititi, Patty Jenkins and Matthew Vaughn in the 2020s has been an interesting thing to witness. 

What are the similarities between them though? Having been considered new talents in the 2010s? Having directed CBMs? Not sure what other connections there are.

But yeah, I'm disappointed with the negative reactions to this, too bad I was really looking forward to this one. I hope I enjoy it myself.

16 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What are the similarities between them though? Having been considered new talents in the 2010s? Having directed CBMs? Not sure what other connections there are.

With Vaughn and Jenkins, going downhill as soon as they were separated from the writers who worked with them on their most successful films (Goldman and Heinberg respectively). They share that in common with the Russos too.

Taika is an interesting one because he became a 'celebrity' with his comfort in front of the camera, similar to Lin Manuel Miranda. As a result, there were people who didn't like the personality he presented and then it just became a game of waiting for him to falter.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

With Vaughn and Jenkins, going downhill as soon as they were separated from the writers who worked with them on their most successful films (Goldman and Heinberg respectively). They share that in common with the Russos too.

Taika is an interesting one because he became a 'celebrity' with his comfort in front of the camera, similar to Lin Manuel Miranda. As a result, there were people who didn't like the personality he presented and then it just became a game of waiting for him to falter.

The interesting thing about Taika is that he had no writing credit, not even additional screenplay or dialogues on Thor: Ragnarok where as on Love and Thunder he had both story and screenplay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

But yeah, I'm disappointed with the negative reactions to this, too bad I was really looking forward to this one. I hope I enjoy it myself.

I just meant that they were all pretty popular on places like CBM Twitter and Reddit, but now everyone has more or less turned against them. Matthew Vaughn in particular was a popular choice to direct a new Superman movie, and now he’s practically begging James Gunn and Peter Safran to give him a job while promoting his spy movie. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I just meant that they were all pretty popular on places like CBM Twitter and Reddit, but now everyone has more or less turned against them. Matthew Vaughn in particular was a popular choice to direct a new Superman movie, and now he’s practically begging James Gunn and Peter Safran to give him a job while promoting his spy movie. 

I remember people used to do the same thing for David F. Sandberg but then his Shazam sequel came out and none of them went to support it. I sometimes think, specifically with DC, success and talent is weirdly measured by the Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arlborn said:

They all seem to have massive egos.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

The interesting thing about Taika is that he had no writing credit, not even additional screenplay or dialogues on Thor: Ragnarok where as on Love and Thunder he had both story and screenplay.

To this day I'll never understand the Ragnarok praise. It felt like 2 entirely different films badly stitched together 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

To this day I'll never understand the Ragnarok praise. It felt like 2 entirely different films badly stitched together 

Love Ragnarok.  Does it feel like 2 movies stitched together ,yeah.

Skaar plotline , Hela Asgard plotline.

Ragnarok succeeds heavily due to how good and just fun the scaar plotline is. It kind of reinvents Thor and even hulk was way more to do here.

Hela plotline is just there and feels underdeveloped . It's not attrocious .  In the end both  plots meld for a fun epic third act with awesome soundtrack and visuals .

Odin's death isn't well handled and Asgard destruction felt emotionless .

Thor 1 same issue . Asgard and frost Giants ,Loki good . Everything on earth is meh.

Dark world is generic from start to finish.

TLT is Ragnarok on steroids and inherits it's major flaws in spades and is awful and annoying for most of the runtime.

Taika and Vaughn are pretty in the same place now. They got in way over their heads after praise  they recieved.

• Like 2

Lol Taika had a far better critically acclaimed career before Ragnarok. And obviously, Ragnarok saved the Thor franchise yet two years later he delivered Jojo Rabbit. Vaughn wishes, he was only popular among CBM fans. Looking back, the first Kingsman feels like a lightning in a bottle even that rehashed some ideas from First Class.

• Like 2

I gained more enjoyment from The Beekeeper and even Night Swim than I did this movie.

Universal/Apple/whoever planted this in February for a clear reason. Weakest film I've seen so far this year, and we've only just started it.

Edited by NoobSaibot

No matter what you may think of how washed Matthew Vaughn is or is not. This movie did not deserve a 35 on Rotten tomatoes....

I'm going to be frankly honest.

Spoiler

It should've been closer to a 10.

Two Words.

Absolute Gibberish.

triple h thumbs down GIF

Also at one point, I thought Henry Cavill and John Cena were going to kiss. 

Edited by Becker
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Becker said:

No matter what you may think of how washed Matthew Vaughn is or is not. This movie did not deserve a 35 on Rotten tomatoes....

I'm going to be frankly honest.

Reveal hidden contents

Also at one point, I thought Henry Cavill and John Cena were going to kiss. 

Well with an audience score in the 60’s and an awful C+ cinemascore it does definitely look like a 35% on RT movie🤷🏽‍♂️