Eric Duncan

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

5 hours ago, eddyxx said:

But WB just cast that lady from In the Heights as the lead of Batgirl 👀

Very different scenario;

In the Heights and Batgirl are totally different genre;

Both are by WB; so WB must have sights on this lady for awhile now.

Plus the bad BO performance is not due to the actor at all.

Snake Eyes and Bond are both action films; and i feel that this film handed Golding's lack of acting range and his lack of martial arts preparation (hence shaky action scenes) on a silver platter to the world. I would argue that this film has more impact on Golding's potential future as an action star compared to whatever performance an actor has for In the Heights.

Also just wanted to check - you do know how to do multiple quotes in one post right?

Edited by TigerPaw

I don't know about you guys but as I mentioned on the snake eyes page, this movie would've been more successful if they actually made it for teenage boys. The last two movies very clearly were (in the same vein as something like Battleship or the Bay Transformers) and that's why did ok numbers. This was a film that is clearly still for teenage boys in concept but they tried to make it for adults? In the end it was for no one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't know about you guys but as I mentioned on the snake eyes page, this movie would've been more successful if they actually made it for teenage boys. The last two movies very clearly were (in the same vein as something like Battleship or the Bay Transformers) and that's why did ok numbers. This was a film that is clearly still for teenage boys in concept but they tried to make it for adults? In the end it was for no one.

Maybe they thought all the teen in fandom back then are now adult....so...

23 hours ago, Krissykins said:

In relation to Candyman buzz, remember Universal literally just opened Old three days ago. They will have been focusing their marketing efforts there. 

There’s plenty of time for the Candyman marketing and buzz to kick in.  

This is funny. Tony Todd just posted this picture of the Candyman poster being pasted over the Old poster on Sunset Blvd

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR0KGq2FmU0/?utm_medium=copy_link

18 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

The first two G.I. Joe movies were not that big of hits! What cultural imprint did they leave?

Yeah they became progressively smaller hits. Even the edition of The Rock didn't make the 2nd any bigger. The snake eyes trailer looks dull, the budget was slashed and there is a complete lack of recognisable stars. People were crazy to expect higher numbers 

So, I saw Snake Eyes today...

And I'm glad I paid $1/ticket.  Wow...what a wildly mediocre to bad movie.  A GI Joe movie that has nothing in common with GI Joe.  I felt like it was a cross between an old kung fu movie and Daredevil's season 2 in the worst possible ways.  And all I kept thinking was - why the hell is the hero so villainous and the villain so heroic - and I still thought that even after it was all over.  And for those wondering how an American GI Joe concept can sell around the world - no worries - there is literally ZERO American elements in this movie, although it is a Tokyo tour guide movie - too bad the Olympics are also, so nothing to watch there...  

My youngest and I gave it a D+.  My oldest boy gave it an A (he has seen no "fighting" movies, so this was new to him)...whoever said they should have gone lighter and more teen focused probably had it right.

And ANYONE who says Golding is getting Bond MUST watch this movie and eat all your words.  He's horrific, and not in a so bad he gets good way.  I understand what people said about the editing in the fight scenes, but it was also the focus.  I felt like I was watching an out-of-focus 3d glasses effect with how fuzzy and jumpy it was to hide this uselessness in stunts...but he wasn't just useless there - he couldn't carry any scene.

Snake Eyes has definitely earned every dollar it's making...

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

And ANYONE who says Golding is getting Bond MUST watch this movie and eat all your words.  He's horrific, and not in a so bad he gets good way.  I understand what people said about the editing in the fight scenes, but it was also the focus.  I felt like I was watching an out-of-focus 3d glasses effect with how fuzzy and jumpy it was to hide this uselessness in stunts...but he wasn't just useless there - he couldn't carry any scene.

Snake Eyes has definitely earned every dollar it's making...

Exactly. Thank you. Finally someone rational and who actually has watched the film is saying something.

Most of the people screaming for him as bond have not seen this film...

I was quite hyped for this film; but to be honest I felt Henry Golding literally dragged the film down - there are many factors; but he is definitely a major one.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 2:47 PM, Chicago said:

Yeah they became progressively smaller hits. Even the edition of The Rock didn't make the 2nd any bigger. The snake eyes trailer looks dull, the budget was slashed and there is a complete lack of recognisable stars. People were crazy to expect higher numbers 

I dunno, if they hadn't pushed the movie back at the last minute to add 3D, it was feeling like a much bigger deal than the first one. 

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I dunno, if they hadn't pushed the movie back at the last minute to add 3D, it was feeling like a much bigger deal than the first one. 

Actually that rings a bell. Didn't they have to kill off Tatum for some reason? All I seem to remember is London's destruction 

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Actually that rings a bell. Didn't they have to kill off Tatum for some reason? All I seem to remember is London's destruction 

He was always gonna die. The problem was Tatum became a massive star right before the film was meant to be released (Jump Street, The Vow, and Dear John happened. Magic Mike and G.I. Joe 2 originally had the same release date).

IIRC they delayed it and just added more Tatum to the promo run (i don’t think he was in that SuperBowl ad they put out before the delay).

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

Biden speech today  just ensured that the Covid resrugence will be the  main news story for the next couple of weeks or so. Not good news for films opening  over the next couple of weekends.