Eric Duncan

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

Atrocious for everything. I have no words. How can I change my tune when these numbers keep happening week after week. Stuff like Old can't be opening with 15M. This shit isn't sustainable in any way. Don't even get me started about Black Widow falling over 60% again and Space Jam's trainwreck of a 2nd weekend drop.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Awful numbers all around aside from Old. Who knows if Jungle Cruise can even hit 20M next week.

That number for Old is awful too. It is his worst OW ever. It had a Superbowl spot. It was an original and appealing premisse. It should be doing 20M OW. 

• Sad 1

Imo as Delta spreads we will be seeing more disappointing openings and drops. A big part of the decent numbers in late May and June was the feeling that the virus was getting over and we were on our way out. That is now gone. BW we knew wasn't having good legs for a while but that is a very poor drop for Space Jam which didn't seem to be really hated by audiences either. Day and date can't be helping the legs of these films either. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 6

Just now, CJohn said:

That number for Old is awful too. It is his worst OW ever. It had a Superbowl spot. It was an original and appealing premisse. It should be doing 20M OW. 

Maybe it gets above Lady in the Water if walkups are as good as they were last night

35 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know Deadline already has the headlines...

"Jungle Cruise sinks under the weight of expectations" and/or

"Jungle Cruise buoyed by Disney's D+ revenue"...wait, scratch that one b/c Deadline turned on D+ in weekend 2 for Black Widow after being so complimentary week #1:)...

Don't forget "Jungle Cruises past 9M this weekend". :stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Menor said:

Imo as Delta spreads we will be seeing more disappointing openings and drops. A big part of the decent numbers in late May and June was the feeling that the virus was getting over and we were on our way out. 

This is also probably one of the main reasons Space Jam is dropping so much in addition to HBO Max. There aren't many families willing to take unvaccinated kids to the theater right now

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

To be fair, they did take kids to see Tom and Jerry in Feb pre Vaccine

Space Jam has already made pretty much the same as Tom and Jerry's total in a week and probably won't finish more than 20-25M higher. The number has grown now that parents can be vaccinated but not by much.

I don't know how long this Delta stuff will last, and I know people will think I'm being paranoid (I don't care), but I'm now convinced we're getting a few more movie delays. What movies they will be I have no idea, but studios will be piss-scared to release anything after this weekend. We're bound to get more variants in the months ahead too. Antivaxxers will keep this shit going for a long time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Delta is definitly screwing things up with the sudden increase of cases around the world. People don't feel so safe anymore.

Florida is about to hit a record daily number and I'm still going to see Snake Eyes tonight 💀 

It's been getting more depressing as the summer goes by. I'm pretty much back to doing normal hobbies and activities since being vaccinated, but it doesn't *feel* normal since the pandemic isn't ending for a long time.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Snake Eric said:

I don't know how long this Delta stuff will last, and I know people will think I'm being paranoid (I don't care), but I'm now convinced we're getting a few more movie delays. What movies they will be I have no idea, but studios will be piss-scared to release anything after this weekend. We're bound to get more variants in the months ahead too. Antivaxxers will keep this shit going for a long time.

I dont think Bond or Top Gun are released this year.  Its also very intersting that Disney have released Venom, Shang Chi, and Spidey toys but nothing for Eternals yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Florida is about to hit a record daily number and I'm still going to see Snake Eyes tonight 💀 

It's been getting more depressing as the summer goes by. I'm pretty much back to doing normal hobbies and activities since being vaccinated, but it doesn't *feel* normal since the pandemic isn't ending for a long time.

The pandemic will maybe be controlled by Summer 2022, and that is a big maybe. I always watched movies in theaters (I saw 60 movies between June and December 2020 in theaters, and around the same as you since the 2nd reopening here in April, and I haven't been vaccinated yet) but the majority of people isn't doing any normal things or just very limited stuff. Hollywood needs to reschedule all of their Fall/Christmas stuff asap or else they will face an insane amount of mega bombs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

I dont think Bond or Top Gun are released this year.  Its also very intersting that Disney have released Venom, Shang Chi, and Spidey toys but nothing for Eternals yet.

See, I feel that NTTD will the litmus test for how close to "normal" the box office is. As long as it hits Spectre numbers, that's  fine. 

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

I am pretty sure Shang-Chi will move to the Eternals spot and Venom will move to the Spidey spot, with both Spidey and Eternals going into 2022.

Edited by CJohn