Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

21 minutes ago, AJG said:

Exhibitor Relations predict the DelayGate 2.0

FFS people really need to get over this constant meltdown.

The only reason everything got delayed last year was because we didn't know the virus, que don't have vaccines and theaters are closed.

We're not gonna see studios panicking and delaying everything they have now with vaccines and open theaters. Numbers aren't normal because the situation are still bad but now there's nothing they can do, there's not a miracle waiting to happen in 6 months.

Studios will have to deal with lower grosses for a few time (maybe even years) and that's it. People say how streaming isn't viable for studios, but there's one thing even less viable for them which is exactly keep holding movies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

No Time To Die has moved like 10 times and is apparently gonna be pushed as a Best Picture contender. Only chance it moves is if international theaters totally shut down.

This. The movie's probably a write-off already due to all of the delays bringing the costs up but one more delay would only just do more harm to it. They can't keep promoting a movie that was literally weeks away from opening forever.

• Like 1

Can't see Bond moving unless the situation becomes so bad in Europe there's no option left but shutting down theaters completely. The health pass more and more countries are adopting is there to prevent that.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

FFS people really need to get over this constant meltdown.

The only reason everything got delayed last year was because we didn't know the virus, que don't have vaccines and theaters are closed.

We're not gonna see studios panicking and delaying everything they have now with vaccines and open theaters. Numbers aren't normal because the situation are still bad but now there's nothing they can do, there's not a miracle waiting to happen in 6 months.

Studios will have to deal with lower grosses for a few time (maybe even years) and that's it. People say how streaming isn't viable for studios, but there's one thing even less viable for them which is exactly keep holding movies.

Exactly. They’re going to have to eat it for a few months/years. Studios have a massive overhead so they can’t put their entire slate on ice for long. They need some type of income coming in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RockyMountain said:

Trying to say that the box office numbers we are seeing are completely due to streaming or pirating is a very faulty narrative when you are basing it mainly off of what you and your close friends think (and I assume that many of these close friends you are referring to are big theater buffs also who are a little bitter about what is transpiring).

So you’re telling me that all the people watching it for free or on HBO Max are all people who wouldn’t have gone to the cinema? Come on now. 

I merely brought friends up as evidence that people do not see watching a digital file that’s the same as the file on streaming as pirating anything. 

Regardless, my original point was that putting these movies out day and date on streaming is asking its audience to watch it at home. If you charge them $30 for it then that becomes a whole different thing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

some moveis are definitely moving. Matrix 4 for example I think will move. Has a shitty release date anyway (same day as Spider-Man I believe?) and doesn't even have a title let alone a production still released. No Time to Die and Top Gun are other good contenders to move

Matrix can easily move a few weeks and avoid HBO Max but i doubt studios will keep delaying NTTD and Top Gun when both are being marketed since 2019.

NTTD especially at this point need a billion to have a shot of being profitable, and this is not going to happen anyway, delay again will only bring more losses.

The most likely set of delays by a country mile is Dune to the Matrix spot and Matrix to the John Wick 4 date next year. October is very, very packed this year. Even things like Sopranos and Last Duel have some breakout potential. Get Dune out of there.

Any movie that released a trailer before the pandemic might as well be released before 2022.

The most likely set of delays by a country mile is Dune to the Matrix spot and Matrix to the John Wick 4 date next year. October is very, very packed this year. Even things like Sopranos and Last Duel have some breakout potential. Get Dune out of there.

MI7 is already scheduled to be released in the John Wick 4 date. Besides, WB aren’t the ones distributing JW4.

Edited by WittyUsername

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Then it'll have to vacate soon because it's set to premiere at Venice in less than a month and open OS shortly after.

Edited by cookie

21 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Maybe we should change the forum name to MovieTheory. Or even more appropriately, ContentTheory. 

KlutzyRapidBasilisk-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

So you’re telling me that all the people watching it for free or on HBO Max are all people who wouldn’t have gone to the cinema? Come on now. 

I merely brought friends up as evidence that people do not see watching a digital file that’s the same as the file on streaming as pirating anything. 

Regardless, my original point was that putting these movies out day and date on streaming is asking its audience to watch it at home. If you charge them $30 for it then that becomes a whole different thing. 

A portion of them probably would have however there is no basis to your argument that it would have completely changed the box office results. And it also is a little silly to argue against people watching it on HBO Max who are paying for a subscription because all they are doing is paying for it in a different way. Like someone else said if people really wanted to go to the theaters to see the movies they would have gone to the theaters. Lots of people though are looking for ways to cut the theaters out of the equation and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just changing times and we simply have more ways now to pay for content then watching it at a theater. Don't hate on people who are spending money in a way that you don't want them to spend their money.

Edited by RockyMountain

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Matrix can easily move a few weeks and avoid HBO Max but i doubt studios will keep delaying NTTD and Top Gun when both are being marketed since 2019.

NTTD especially at this point need a billion to have a shot of being profitable, and this is not going to happen anyway, delay again will only bring more losses.

Yeah, Matrix is going to get annihilated by Spider-Man anyway. Moving it would be the smart play.

• Like 1

One has to feel bad for the people who worked on these movies that are going to feel dated by the time everyone gets to see them, even if it was due to circumstances beyond their control. Daniel Craig hosted the last pre-shutdown SNL just days after No Time to Die was first delayed to promote it (it was too late to cancel his appearance at that point) and there was even a pre-recorded skit showing a "clip" from the movie.

2 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

A portion of them probably would have however there is no basis to your argument that it would have completely changed the box office results. And it also is a little silly to argue against people watching it on HBO Max who are paying for a subscription because all they are doing is paying for it in a different way. Like someone else said if people really wanted to go to the theaters to see the movies they would have gone to the theaters. Lots of people though are looking for ways to cut the theaters out of the equation and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just changing times and we simply have more ways now to pay for content then watching it at a theater. Don't hate on people who are spending money for something in a way that you don't want them to spend their money.

wires crossed here. I’m not disagreeing with you at all. 

People just want to watch the movie at the end of the day.  Many will watch it at home if they can, if they get the real thing. Which I totally get.  Whether that real thing is via subscribing to a service, or getting the same file via other means - irrelevant.  Yet that’s not going to make the studios the money they have been making in the long term. 

I think we’re basically saying the same thing.

15 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Trying to say that the box office numbers we are seeing are completely due to streaming or pirating is a very faulty narrative when you are basing it mainly off of what you and your close friends think (and I assume that many of these close friends you are referring to are big theater buffs also who are a little bitter about what is transpiring).

It plays a part. Even my mum managed to stream Suicide Squad and she can't even use her iPad. Having something free to watch the same day as it hits cinemas will always have an effect. Either do one or the other, both is stupid 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Jeff Sneider talked to someone who saw Dune in it’s entirety. The person dismissed it as a near three hour commercial for a sequel that does not exist. It’s going to be a train wreck. 

Tucker Carlson is a more reliable and sane source than Jeff Sneider

• Haha 6

Just now, wildphantom said:

wires crossed here. I’m not disagreeing with you at all. 

People just want to watch the movie at the end of the day.  Many will watch it at home if they can, if they get the real thing. Which I totally get.  Whether that real thing is via subscribing to a service, or getting the same file via other means - irrelevant.  Yet that’s not going to make the studios the money they have been making in the long term. 

I think we’re basically saying the same thing.

In the long run though advertising their streaming service and gaining new subscribers is more financially viable for them then releasing it in theaters. A movie released in theaters has a very quick end to how much it will make yet people who subscribe to a streaming site because of that movie the studio will see the benefits from it for a much longer period of time. People who are big fans of the theaters don't like it but it does make a lot of financial sense to use new movies to advertise their streaming sites.

• Knock It Off 1