Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

At the risk of starting an argument, I was having a conversation offline with another board member (so hope I'm not stealing his point) and we agreed that superhero films really had their peak between 2016 (BvS/Civil War competition) and 2019 (Endgame), and it is going to be much harder to get the easy, snap your fingers hype that it used to be given that they will be more self-contained episodes as part of larger, lower stakes universes. There will still be events like No Way Home or the next Batman, but even those aren't building towards a larger whole. They aren't gonna become like the Western or anything but certainly the auto-hype that would have previously existed for Black Widow or Shang Chi or Suicide Squad is diminished among casual audiences.

• Like 3

Mid twenties for TSS is trash.

$19m for Free Guy is garbage.

$22M for Shang Chi is a calamity.

It boggles the mind why anyone unaffiliated with a studio would try to positively spin these numbers. What’s the angle?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

At the risk of starting an argument, I was having a conversation offline with another board member (so hope I'm not stealing his point) and we agreed that superhero films really had their peak between 2016 (BvS/Civil War competition) and 2019 (Endgame), and it is going to be much harder to get the easy, snap your fingers hype that it used to be given that they will be more self-contained episodes as part of larger, lower stakes universes. There will still be events like No Way Home or the next Batman, but even those aren't building towards a larger whole. They aren't gonna become like the Western or anything but certainly the auto-hype that would have previously existed for Black Widow or Shang Chi or Suicide Squad is diminished among casual audiences.

Marvel and DC are both trying to make a big deal out of having multiverse storylines, so if the best days of comic book movies are truly behind them, it won’t be for lack of trying. 

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

Streaming is not the future 

it’s the present 

Thing that people here don't seem to understand is that streaming is not remotely profitable for studios, so either they will be losing major money or cutting budgets of major blockbusters by like 2/3rds. Theaters aren't dying anytime soon.

• Like 7

That’s a shame about The Suicide Squad’s opening weekend being under $30m. Seeing it again on Monday instead of this weekend. 

Jungle Cruise and Green Knight both down 67%+. Nice holds for Black Widow, Old and Escape Room 2. 

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Could not agree more. At the MCU IM to EG was the Iron man story with some side quests. There is no longer this thread.  Also, the commitment to the story is no longer 2 to 3 movies a year its now 3 to 4 movies plus 4+ 10 episode TV shows a year.  Its basically becoming the comic industry where the pure number of titles you need to follow for that years big crossover starts to drive casual readers away.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

we agreed that superhero films really had their peak between 2016 (BvS/Civil War competition) and 2019 (Endgame)

I think this is not really a controversial take. Because during that time Marvel Studios was entering their Phase 3.  So you had anywhere from 8 to 10 years of build up to these final installments. There’s no way in hell that you’re going to go back to that frenzy immediately with a bunch of new characters. It’s going to take time. And maybe it will never happen again. Or maybe it will take a decade.

Like for Shang Chi I think 50M-65M would’ve  happened outside of the pandemic, maybe as high as 75. So I think anything around 50 right now in this current climate would be a win.

• Like 6

The writing’s been on the wall for Suicide Squad for ages now. I think we should just be thankful we got to enjoy a good movie :lol:

Do I think this is going to cause a huge rupture in the release schedule? Maybe a couple moves here and there but overall no. Definitely going to make WB rethink what they’ve been doing this past year though.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The writing’s been on the wall for Suicide Squad for ages now. I think we should just be thankful we got to enjoy a good movie :lol:

Do I think this is going to cause a huge rupture in the release schedule? Maybe a couple moves here and there but overall no. Definitely going to make WB rethink what they’ve been doing this past year though.

WB claimed that they would be abandoning the hybrid model by next year (we’ll see), but in terms of this year, it already seems to be too late. Maybe they’ll move Matrix 4, but that’s about it. 

• Like 1

“Glory days of Marvel are behind them” is a take that will last precisely until NWH-DS2-Thor4-BP2-CM2-AM3-Gotg3 makes like 7.5B in 17 months.    

A couple of first entries still dealing with covid (and one release to 0 day streaming) is not much of a barometer.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1