The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

If Newark is going $20 mil+, Cry Macho is going $15 mil OW. Both demos don't seem that for off from each other. And the demo it'll be going for don't give a shit about the pandemic anyways. I expect it to do better than the stuff that'll be mainly targeting younger audiences who live alongside the coasts (like Evan Hansen).

Disagree; The Sopranos fanbase is pretty spread out demographic wise while a Clint Eastwood movie will skew very old

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, almost 50% of their audience. Possibly more since it's the unvaccinated that are less likely to care about Covid.

I'm as pro vaccine mandate as anyone, but it'd be more nice if the mandates were in unavoidable areas that would make it functionally impossible to not be vaccinated - jobs, as well as essential businesses like grocery stores/offices/etc - instead of the optional/luxury market of restaurants, movie theaters, and hospitality which power our working-class service sector that holds up the economy. People can chose not to go to the movies and just ignore that industry, they can't chose not to go to the grocery store - that is where we need to put the requirements in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Nah, he is so salty if anything Disney related and he can't help to hide it. Dude just stop it. It is tiresome.

Disney has to give me a reason to if you want me to stop. I raved about the first three POTC movies and Lone Ranger a week ago so I can do it. I honestly don't even think of this as a Disney movie (I would like to think Fox still exists as a seperate studio and plus, this movie was made before the merger).

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Disagree; The Sopranos fanbase is pretty spread out demographic wise while a Clint Eastwood movie will skew very old

I always thought Sopranos skewed old. I personally don't see Newark going over $10 mil. Most of it's fans likely already own HBO. On the other hand, most of Cry Macho's audience would be dead by the time they even are able to get to the movie's page on the service.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Nah, he is so salty of anything Disney related and he can't help to hide it. Dude just stop it. It is tiresome.

So you’re saying Bob Chapek pissed on his porch? Now things are starting to make sense.

• Haha 1

The Last Duel is playing Venice, something with strong reviews could ride the hype into a release date shortly after. Hustlers did that with Toronto in 2019, but it had more awareness to begin with and the subject matter had broader general audience appeal. TLD is a much tougher sell and primarily to an audience that's probably the most reluctant to return to theaters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Disney making a startup in 2019 and having it hit profit in 2024 is incredibly quick. 

Definitely. Have the advantage that they don’t have to pay to licence content.  Unlike Netflix who spent crazy money licencing other studios’ shows. Those shows are quickly being pulled to go on their respective owners’ streamers. It’s an interesting time. 
The Sony deal was big for Netflix for sure, but it’s not going to be plain sailing for them as it has been. 

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Last Duel is playing Venice, something with strong reviews could ride the hype into a release date shortly after. Hustlers did that with Toronto in 2019, but it had more awareness to begin with and the subject matter had broader general audience appeal. TLD is a much tougher sell and primarily to an audience that's probably the most reluctant to return to theaters. 

Funny trivia but Halloween Kills is also playing Venice and they open on the same day. Both are in Venice as a part of Scott/Curtis tribute so 0that likely doesn't mean much in terms of quality.