Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I think it's more being desperate for new(-ish) IP.  Only so many Marvel/SW films one can make for the marketplace (either cinema or streaming).  It's not a coincidence, I think, that people have become so attached to the John Wick franchise.

Yeh it must be. 

Announcing a sequel after a $10.5m opening day for a film that cost $100-125m is a first, maybe? 

Can’t wait to see Free Guy tomorrow. My partner is Mariah Carey obsessed and obviously her song is featured heavily in the marketing. We heard it last night leaving Dont Breathe 2 as Free Guy was getting out.

He just asked me “what time is “Fantasy” at tomorrow?” 😂

• Like 2

Suicide Squad was always a weird franchise for WB to put their all into. The first one had an amazing ad campaign but... yeah lol

I think WB should've first made a Batfleck film after BvS with Joker/Harley but damage is done. The Batman is gonna be huge, Aquaman should do well too. Flash is a wildcard.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh it must be. 

Announcing a sequel after a $10.5m opening day for a film that cost $100-125m is a first, maybe? 

Well, an actor* saying the studio is interested in a sequel, but sure, close enough.

* Presuming Ryan Reynolds isn't goofing around, which I can't completely discount.

Does seem a little early though I agree, as we don't really have much of a sense of legs.  Though sure as hell looks like Cruella is getting some sort of sequel, so if it follows the pattern of that movie, I could see it.

I mean these types of early sequel announcements happen all the time as a way to help drum up hype.

"Look, this movie's already doing so well it's getting a sequel before the weekend is even over! Gotta catch the movie that everybody's talking about!"

And while this is uncommon, and Disney+ could help make these a reality, that doesn't necessarily mean Free Guy 2 or Jungle Cruise 2 is a safe bet that's confirmed to happen. I'm still waiting for San Andreas 2.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ooh that’s interesting. 

The Rock tweeted about a “sequel meeting later that week” while Jungle Cruise was opening. Think they did it with Cruella as well. 

Do Disney usually announce sequels so quickly, or has covid changed their views? 

It’s an old tactic, announce/report a sequel to drum up hype for said movie. Hell at one point Paramount was already working on a Snake Eyes 2 long before it opened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

I mean these types of early sequel announcements happen all the time as a way to help drum up hype.

"Look, this movie's already doing so well it's getting a sequel before the weekend is even over! Gotta catch the movie that everybody's talking about!"

And while this is uncommon, and Disney+ could help make these a reality, that doesn't necessarily mean Free Guy 2 or Jungle Cruise 2 is a safe bet that's confirmed to happen. I'm still waiting for San Andreas 2.

1 minute ago, RRA said:

It’s an old tactic, announce/report a sequel to drum up hype for said movie. Hell at one point Paramount was already working on a Snake Eyes 2 long before it opened.

7aDw.gif

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think it's more being desperate for new(-ish) IP.  Only so many Marvel/SW films/series one can make for the marketplace (either cinema or streaming).  It's not a coincidence, I think, that people have become so attached to the John Wick franchise.

To add to this, there's also the library/back catalogue consideration for D+.  It's related to finding new(-ish) IP, but I have to think Disney is desperate highly motivated to find family friendly programming for Disney Plus that they think/know folks will actually tune into to watch.  It's been discussed a bit over on the Streaming Tracking thread, but while it is 100% true that Marvel and Star Wars have been hits for D+, they probably want something other than a steady diet of Marvel/Star Wars and children programming/already established library to really grow the D+ brand.

In other countries they do have Star integration, which helps.  But domestically, I'm pretty sure that Disney wants other hits on its platform.  Well sequels to CruellaJungle Cruise, and Free Guy be that sort of thing?  Who knows.  But I bet Disney is tempted to find out.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, an actor* saying the studio is interested in a sequel, but sure, close enough.

* Presuming Ryan Reynolds isn't goofing around, which I can't completely discount.

Does seem a little early though I agree, as we don't really have much of a sense of legs.  Though sure as hell looks like Cruella is getting some sort of sequel, so if it follows the pattern of that movie, I could see it.

Cruella seems related to the ScarJo lawsuit to me lol 

7 minutes ago, RRA said:

It’s an old tactic, announce/report a sequel to drum up hype for said movie.

9 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Oh yeh, I’m aware it happens sometimes on the Sunday. But after the Friday estimate? I can’t think of another example. 

Edited by Krissykins

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh yeh, I’m aware it happens sometimes on the Sunday. But after the Friday estimate? I can’t think of another example. 

Bad Boys 4 was announced after Thursday previews lol

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Sony didn’t actually announce that though. 

Neither has Disney here. 👍

(to be fair, they haven't actually announced the Cruella sequel, but I've seen enough smoke now to think it's far along the tracks)

So Sony is probably selling off HT4 to Netflix something needs to move up because there are too many films in october. I think both The Last Duel and Jackass 2 can afford to do that, they likely dont cost that much and there is a ceiling on how much those films are likely to make anyways in this climate. I would put The Last Duel and Jackass 4ever both on sept 24. Then move Halloween Kills probably to October 1. 

Edited by babz06

I know people like to the see things a binary here, something flopped or is a hit, streaming sucks theatres good etc. 

But the reality is right now things are much more nuanced, the reason the studios are still making small profits is due to streaming so no they are not going to magically give that up and start putting films in theatres for months on end during or post pandemic as streaming gives them a nice safety net of revenue and makes a profit for the studio as a whole more likely. They are also not going to completely give up theatrical revenue either if its a 45 day window, 30 day window, 2 week window, day and date there will be a theatrical component on their films as it is a decent chunk of $ as well especially if it comes back to 75-80%+ strength, this will mean fewer films turn a profit from theatrical alone kind of like old times. 

The reality is that streaming and theatrical complement each other for the major studios and if they can both fire in unison then the studios will be more profitable than they have ever been which in turn will be a good thing for the movie industry as it will mean more films and more places for them to be profitable depending on the type of film i.e. direct to streaming, PVOD or theatrical run followed by PVOD or free on streaming. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Neither has Disney here. 👍

(to be fair, they haven't actually announced the Cruella sequel, but I've seen enough smoke now to think it's far along the tracks)

Cruella seems confirmed considering Emma Stone already made her deal for it.