Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

50 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm as pro vaccine mandate as anyone, but it'd be more nice if the mandates were in unavoidable areas that would make it functionally impossible to not be vaccinated - jobs, as well as essential businesses like grocery stores/offices/etc - instead of the optional/luxury market of restaurants, movie theaters, and hospitality which power our working-class service sector that holds up the economy. People can chose not to go to the movies and just ignore that industry, they can't chose not to go to the grocery store - that is where we need to put the requirements in.

Not to sound rude, but that is absolutely despicable. Voluntarily taking the vaccine is one thing, trying to force others to take it is absolutely disgusting though.

43 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I always thought Sopranos skewed old. I personally don't see Newark going over $10 mil. Most of it's fans likely already own HBO. On the other hand, most of Cry Macho's audience would be dead by the time they even are able to get to the movie's page on the service.

Sopranos, along with Mad Men and The Wire - my favourite shows ever. 
That said, although Newark is right up my street and I can’t wait to see it, I think for a mass audience the money ship might have sailed for that a decade ago.  It’ll play like gang busters on HBO, but in the current climate might struggle in cinemas.  We’ll see.

I’ll be there opening day regardless as it looks amazing. 

5 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

Not to sound rude, but that is absolutely despicable. Voluntarily taking the vaccine is one thing, trying to force others to take it is absolutely disgusting though.

Not to sound rude, but this is absolutely despicable. Voluntarily taking the vaccine is good, forcing others to take it is also good, and suggesting otherwise is absolutely disgusting though.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The problem I have heard with Disney is there is a real, actual war going on between upper level execs including Chapek and the creative heads like Feige, Horn and Kennedy.  

The Chapek crowd seems to be listening to a few VC and billionaire hedge fund types that think the way of the future for Disney is to abandon theatrical entirely (or have it as a novelty) and go full into streaming.  Their contention is that even PA should be abandoned and everything should be released day and date on Disney+ for free.  They see the movies and shows as nothing more than a product to shovel into consumers mouths as much and as quickly as possible to maximize subscriptions.  

Creators and talent are obviously appalled at this line of thinking.  Even though it is Disney and you can lol and call everything they make manipulative product, the creators and talent don't see it that way at all.  They make movies to show theatrically and are all in on the magic of cinema.  

You have seen this all bleed out publicly from the reports of Feige being livid, the fight with Scarlett, and now the Shang-Chi crew getting in on the fight.  

I don't think that ultimately Chapek has the power to win this war.  Iger still carries most of the power and is watching it play out hoping he doesn't have to step in, but I think ultimately he will side with the creators and talent if pushed to that level.  

I’m reminded of why EON balked at NTTD being sold to a streamer: it theoretically could kill the theatrical value of that franchise, condition folks to skip it until it comes home.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

https://www.newyorker.com/science/annals-of-medicine/how-will-the-coronavirus-evolve

Fantastic article. I'm pretty sick of reading about COVID at this point but this one is actually worth the read.

Good read. Too bad we're trapped in Florida right now.

Edited by WrathOfHan

6 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Not to sound rude, but this is absolutely despicable. Voluntarily taking the vaccine is good, forcing others to take it is also good, and suggesting otherwise is absolutely disgusting though.

I'll be fine with a mandate as soon as the FDA actually gives the vaccine it's OK, that hasn't happened yet.

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

I'll be fine with a mandate as soon as the FDA actually gives the vaccine it's OK, that hasn't happened yet.

I’m fine with a mandate as long as the vaccines are actually OK, which they are. I do not appreciate the FDA heel dragging though. Mercifully, it should be over quite soon, within a month or so.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Funny trivia but Halloween Kills is also playing Venice and they open on the same day. Both are in Venice as a part of Scott/Curtis tribute so 0that likely doesn't mean much in terms of quality. 

Yeah, a Halloween movie opening in mid-October will be all right in this climate, which has been very good to horror. Even in the before times, a medieval drama about rape accusations was a very iffy proposition.

Judy made $24m domestic with a September release, it's in the mid-60s on Metacritic, and Zellweger was already an Oscar winner-it's wild that she swept Best Actress that year. Respect will make more money under worse circumstances and JHud will probably be lucky to hang on for a nomination. 

10 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

WB needs to ice DC films for a minimum of 5 years. 

Joker made a billion just before the pandemic. I don't think there's a problem with the brand, it's just that WB isn't making the movies fans want to see.

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Joker made a billion just before the pandemic. I don't think there's a problem with the brand, it's just that WB isn't making the movies fans want to see.

More Batman movies incoming!

Other great signs for the current marketplace: According to Market Insights firm EntTelligence, if this weekend’s current projections hold up, that would mean Free Guy is going to pull in well over 2M patrons, followed by Don’t Breathe 2 with 850k and Respect near 800k.

That’s over 3.6M people going to new movies, getting out of the house, braving delta, wearing a mask, and possibly buying some popcorn. By comparison, the total attendance on opening weekend for Jungle Cruise per the firm was 2.9M.

the number of attendance mentioned by deadline, are these accurate?

Just now, Porthos said:

h/t @imbruglia

Ooh that’s interesting. 

The Rock tweeted about a “sequel meeting later that week” while Jungle Cruise was opening. Think they did it with Cruella as well. 

Do Disney usually announce sequels so quickly, or has covid changed their views? 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Ooh that’s interesting. 

The Rock tweeted about a “sequel meeting later that week” while Jungle Cruise was opening. Think they did it with Cruella as well. 

Do Disney usually announce sequels so quickly, or has covid changed their views? 

They need content for Disney+ once they dump theatres for good. /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ooh that’s interesting. 

I think it's more being desperate for new(-ish) IP.  Only so many Marvel/SW films/series one can make for the marketplace (either cinema or streaming).  It's not a coincidence, I think, that people have become so attached to the John Wick franchise.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1