Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Mortal Kombat franchise has a very big fanbase and appeal to general audience  , WB is not utilizing it the right way. 

That’s not really my point, a lot of people are saying TSS didn’t do great on streaming when it put up pretty good numbers. I mean the Loki finale put up 1.9m over 5 days according to samba and the premier was 2.5m over 5 days so I don’t get the narrative that 2.8m weekend for TSS is somehow not good.

Either way, it is what it is, not gonna sit here and argue about it with people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a shame. I saw Free Guy on the SuperScreen, it’s so loud and looks great. 

Mariah deserves to be heard in the best sound system possible 😂

I’ve had Fantasy stuck in my head since I saw it yesterday 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

audience reception, streaming numbers and box office numbers say otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

No numbers so far suggest that and neither does audience reception.

Yep and BoP bombing should have been a clue that TSS would bomb too. Any interest that SS (first movie) had has been lost. 

1 hour ago, poncho said:

DC doesn't have a strong fan base to support a movie box office during a pandemic, Marvel fans will watch their movies in any possible setting.

also, Marvel is very consistent with turning Z list comic book characters into popular movies while DC is still inconsistent even with iconic characters. Since TSS's only more known character was HQ, whose spin-off bombed, it had nothing to make it a must see - no Joker and/or Batman, no big star (Smith). Reviews don't mean much cause less and less people trust critics given some big gaps between critical response and audience response for some popular movies. TLJ, aka the most influential movie of the last decade, really spotlighted this discrepancy and made people pay more attention. 

36 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

It very likely could be GvK but Samba is the best guess we have right now. I am surprised HBO MAX is not giving data to Nielsen like they did for WW84 atleast we could have some numbers.

No, WB/HBO Max not stating it like they did with WW84 and Gvk is our best guess that it wasn't their biggest opener. 

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’ve had Fantasy stuck in my head since I saw it yesterday 😂

My boyfriend is a huge Mariah fan (we even had to fly from Scotland to Vegas so he could do a meet and greet lol). So he was absolutely buzzing 😂

Great use of the song and the references to her. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Thanks to FG compensating TSS embarrassment, and potential Paw Patro high number, we are still on track to beat 2020's total by the time when Shang Chi open. Hope Candyman can surprise too 

I’d love for Candyman to join The Suicide Squad and Free Guy by opening in the 20’s.

But I’d be happy with an opening in the teens.

It's a good opening (more than i expected in non pandemic times). Now, we need one of the blockbusters to perform good enough. Excluding Shang Chi cos it's releasing at the peak of the delta variant. Next one that should do well enough is No time to die. All eyes on Bond!

• Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

huh since when?

Some users have been saying we can’t blame covid lol. All eyes are on Shang-Chi though. Especially with no streaming option (unlike Black Widow and The Suicide Squad). It should be interesting.

Quite a lot of pressure on this “experiment” I’d imagine. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Reviews don't mean much cause less and less people trust critics given some big gaps between critical response and audience response for some popular movies. TLJ, aka the most influential movie of the last decade, really spotlighted this discrepancy and made people pay more attention. 

Reviews mean something when it confirms somebody's assumptions about a movie, positive or negative. The 5 year gap between the first Suicide Squad and this new soft reboot definitely is something to take into account as well. I believe had this new Suicide Squad come out in either 2018 or 2019 then it may have done solid.

I also believe that had WB not managed to grab James Gunn there would not have been another SS movie made in any form, but he has a good amount of clout and popularity that they thought bringing him on and leaving him to his own devices would be a slam dunk win for them and in a way it was (quality wise at least).

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Some users have been saying we can’t blame covid lol. All eyes are on Shang-Chi though. Especially with no streaming option (unlike Black Widow and The Suicide Squad). It should be interesting.

Quite a lot of pressure on this “experiment” I’d imagine. 

OH well, i hope Shang Chi breaks out then. We need a definitive "theaters are back" hit movie

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Where's @WrathOfHan ?  It's a little quiet in here. we need your November predictions.

Oh boy.

Eternals: 60/180

Ghostbusters: 20/60

Belfast: 4/14 (why is Focus releasing this wide instead of platforming it?)

Top Gun: 70/235

King Richard: 20/50

Encanto: 50/180

House of Gucci: 35/140

Resident Evil: 10/20

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh boy.

Eternals: 60/180

Ghostbusters: 20/60

Belfast: 4/14 (why is Focus releasing this wide instead of platforming it?)

Top Gun: 70/235

King Richard: 20/50

Encanto: 50/180

House of Gucci: 35/140

Resident Evil: 10/20

Oh boy, indeed.  Eternals<Top Gun?    I too feel an under performance from Eternals (relative to Marvel fanboy expectations), but no way TG 2 does that much.

Also, November seems a little empty. I'm surprised Venom didn't move there

I think Candyman could hit 20. It’s funny. The first trailer last year went viral but COVID damaged momentum and the latest marketing hasn’t reached those levels. But still, it’s a horror reboot of generally well-known film/series. Not many films had appeal to POC audiences this summer.. F9, Space Jam and Respect?

But 14-16m feels more reasonable 

Still thinking 35-45m 3day for Shang-Chi. Not a definitive opener like F9, Quiet Place, etc. But that would be No Time To Die. I don’t think it nears Skyfall’s 88m but it really needs to beat out Solace’s 67m or Spectre’s 70m. 

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, the subpar box office combined with the subpar streaming numbers would seem to indicate that's not a total sure thing.  For the GA, it's not been evenly received by age or gender outside of the uber-fan base.  Even Deadline mentioned that OW, and it's uneven reception is not improving as more non-uber-fans saw this...

It would have better numbers...would it have gotten to "commercial success" with its budget?  There's a lot more doubt here...

I read some articles in The Hollywood Reporter blaming the pandemic for the failure of "TSS" at the box office, not the lack of public interest in DC's ips

"Gunn’s critically acclaimed movie opens amid consumer concern over the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and delta variant, which has stalled the box office recovery. A home release on HBO Max also complicates matters"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-suicide-squad-box-office-opening-jungle-cruise-1234994355/

"Nevertheless, and despite positive reactions, hopes were higher for The Suicide Squad and there are several factors contributing to the lackluster start.Closures in Australia and Mexico and the introduction of the health pass requirement in Italy this weekend impacted the debut. The latter market was down overall by an estimated 70%. In France, there is still confusion over (and contempt for) the health pass while competition from local titles was felt there as well as in Germany and Korea"

the week the movie was released:

https://twitter.com/MiguelNicolelis/status/1424933360682643470?s=19

and yet there is a consensus that the film is a success for the DC brand

"Even after the pandemic saddled opening weekend box office results for The Suicide Squad, the film was a clear win for the brand, opening the door for new characters, concepts, and stories"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/suicide-squad-james-gunn-harley-quinn-dc-1234996289/