Eric Duncan

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE 10 RINGS SPOILER THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

I didn't like the scene either way so multiple rocks or 1 rock is same to me. I understand that multiple rocks were supposed to be awe-inspiring because that was the moment when everyone else learned that she was strong with the Force, as opposed to TFA where she learned about herself. But TFA moment was magical precisely because it was so simple. The snow, the Burning Homestead, the actors. Just a great moment. No noise, no busy screen. Just great storytelling, great character moment. 

When you have a vibrant and colorful Village film set, and an even more vibrant and colorful Waterfall/pond set, and you choose to set the final martial arts showdown between Shang-Chi and Wenwu on a gray rock floor in front of 100% greenscreen, you have a problem with vision

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

Just got out for a second time.  My family's reactions are amazing, i won't lie:

My nephew (who is like ten) was like it was better than he thought.  And he's excited now cause it's his favorite movie and now he has something to tell people when they ask what his favorite movie is!  Cause normally he draws a blank and hates drawing a blank!!

Feels Kristen Bell GIF

My mom turned to me during the credits and was like "So who was the really famous Hong Kong actor again?" "The Dad." "THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!! Cause at first I thought it was the kid, but that didn't make any sense. I thought "it has to be The Dad." He was my favorite. I loved him. You know how Loki is my favorite."

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Our audience was a bunch of causals (very young, male, and diverse).  They didn't laugh as much as the Thursday crowd, but seemed to enjoy it.  Very nosy on the way out.  Yet half left during the end credits.  I still have no idea why people do that.  It's been ten years.  C'mon. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

Just got out for a second time.  My family's reactions are amazing, i won't lie:

My nephew (who is like ten) was like it was better than he thought.  And he's excited now cause it's his favorite movie and now he has something to tell people when they ask what his favorite movie is!  Cause normally he draws a blank and hates drawing a blank!!

Feels Kristen Bell GIF

My mom turned to me during the credits and was like "So who was the really famous Hong Kong actor again?" "The Dad." "THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!! Cause at first I thought it was the kid, but that didn't make any sense. I thought "it has to be The Dad." He was my favorite. I loved him. You know how Loki is my favorite."

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Our audience was a bunch of causals (very young, male, and diverse).  They didn't laugh as much as the Thursday crowd, but seemed to enjoy it.  Very nosy on the way out.  Yet half left during the end credits.  I still have no idea why people do that.  It's been ten years.  C'mon. 

When I worked at a theatre I ended up talking to some people heading out before the credits scene. They said they leave for the credits because they don't read the comics and don't understand what they tease 90% of the time, so why bother staying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

55 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

When I worked at a theatre I ended up talking to some people heading out before the credits scene. They said they leave for the credits because they don't read the comics and don't understand what they tease 90% of the time, so why bother staying.

The mid credits scene was fun. The last one was like... why did I have to sit through the credits for that? Couldn't that have just been in the movie?

38 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

The mid credits scene was fun. The last one was like... why did I have to sit through the credits for that? Couldn't that have just been in the movie?

The last one is no different than the one on Doctor Strange. “There are too many sorcerers!” Or whatever the line was. Teasing villain progression. Or the one in Homecoming with Vulture and Scorpion.

Too bad we will have not seen Mordo in 6 years by the time he shows up again! Or the homecoming tease apparently going nowhere in the story lol.

truth be told most of the teases end up not even mattering or at worst get ignored by the next film maker. I prefer teases for the next marvel movie(which is what they used to do) rather than teasing a sequel to the movie I just watched because the next writer or director usually just does their own thing.

This was way better than the trailers made it seem. Even Awkwafina was less annoying and surprisingly good in the more dramatic parts of the film. Don’t get the hate for the monster battle at the end, it was the highlight of the movie for me, action-wise. The fight scenes were decent but nothing we hadn’t seen done better in CTHD. The only part that didn’t quite work for me was trying to make Wenwu a sympathetic villain. Maybe if he hadn’t been a murdering megalomaniac before he fell in love it would have worked, but basically he was evil the whole time and just briefly settled down to have a family.

• Like 1

bus scene was much much better than it looked on trailer.

I get why some don't like whole fantasy angle. 

the way story developed to that fantasy and village felt very forced, undeveloped, far fetched.

also ten ring gang looked.. small and weak.

and the whole village vs ten ring fight looked so meh.

still great actions and fun film.

• Haha 1

I've now seen Shang-Chi twice. I freaking love it. Top-tier MCU origin film (basically this, Iron Man, and Guardians)

That said, it's not perfect. I've avoided reading critiques of Simu Liu so far, so I don't know what the overall impression of him has been, but here are my thoughts:

Comedic timing, relatability, charisma: A

Physical action chops: B+

Dramatic and emotional heft: D

There were several moments between Simu Liu and Tony Leung where the difference in the dramatic acting talent was night and day. It's unfair to compare a sitcom supporting actor who has been acting for a decade with a global legend, but it is what it is. I never felt Shang-Chi's internal struggle and anguish as much as I would have liked. Especially during the final confrontation with Wenwu.

Likewise, Wenwu's demise was too unceremonious, considering all the character work done in the preceding two-ish hours. Wenwu punches the wall again, Cthulhu flies out, attacks Shang-Chi and Wenwu, and Wenwu pushes them both out of the way before the beast grabs him and eats his soul.

Here's what I would have loved to see: Cthulhu flies out, and Wenwu has a prolonged moment of realization that he was deceived, his mission was for naught, he was blinded by love, and that he was personally responsible for all the death and destruction being caused. After this moment of realization, as the Cthulhu beast flies toward him and Shang-Chi, he uses the rings to push just his son out of the way of the creature's path, intentionally sacrificing himself. And in his final moments, shares a sentence of regret with his son.

4 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

The only part that didn’t quite work for me was trying to make Wenwu a sympathetic villain. Maybe if he hadn’t been a murdering megalomaniac before he fell in love it would have worked, but basically he was evil the whole time and just briefly settled down to have a family.

It's because the film didn't emphasize how his quest to be reunited with his love truly blinded him to reality. The film should have played into that more.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

When you have a vibrant and colorful Village film set, and an even more vibrant and colorful Waterfall/pond set, and you choose to set the final martial arts showdown between Shang-Chi and Wenwu on a gray rock floor in front of 100% greenscreen, you have a problem with vision

I'm not sure the dueling blue and yellow rings would have been as strong aesthetically (and I thought those were executed as well as they theoretically could have been) with a more colorful background. You needed a neutral tone to let the rings shine without visually overloading the screen.

But I have the same criticism for the Endgame finale.

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Here's what I would have loved to see: Cthulhu flies out, and Wenwu has a prolonged moment of realization that he was deceived, his mission was for naught, he was blinded by love, and that he was personally responsible for all the death and destruction being caused. After this moment of realization, as the Cthulhu beast flies toward him and Shang-Chi, he uses the rings to push just his son out of the way of the creature's path, intentionally sacrificing himself. And in his final moments, shares a sentence of regret with his son.

This for sure. We needed a moment of true reconciliation for both his arc and Shang-Chi's. Him giving up the rings was an attempt at that but was too short. There needed to be some actual words (just a few). 

Fala Chen is mesmerizingly beautiful. I too would have given up villainy for her in a heartbeat and went crazy and delusional if I lost her too. 

The trope of crazy love being the motivation for villainy is not uncommon in Asian movies, but I’d say it’s definitely not typical in superhero movies, especially for MCU. So that’s another refreshing difference that made Shang-Chi stood out to me as well. 

14 hours ago, imbruglia said:

also ten ring gang looked.. small and weak.

And led by Razor Fist which has the worst acting in the whole film; or is his role the typical big Caucasian villain without brains..in an Asian led film..

The fight in the village has nothing at stake, no one was injured or killed or anything. They can just "release" each other and work together after that... that was the worst part IMO. Didn't Wenwu say burn them down? Not "spar with them" right?

• Like 1