WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

10 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Is Dune really the sort of movie you can use to “play hardball?”    

I do agree though that something should move up to late Sep and a studio having two releases the same week isn’t unprecedented (we had it just this July, for instance). 

As someone who works at a theatre and sees constant emails from high-ups in the company regarding upcoming content, theaters absolutely have high hopes for Dune.

Not Spider-Man level, but I guarantee that if WB said “if you want Dune you also gotta play Cry Macho”, every theater with the screen space would do it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Blankments said:

The only streaming movie to have a level of cultural impact or people remembering talking about it this summer was LUCA; a nice consolation prize for the movie that would’ve likely been #1 of the summer with an exclusive theatrical run (there I said it)

This post convinced me to watch this with the Mrs last night as we couldn't find anything. We got 40 minutes in before realising it was shit. It's literally a pointless movie that I've only heard spoken about on this site. This cultural impact must only be in America. I preferred Pixar when they were fun and less pretentious 

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Really? I haven’t heard a single soul mention it lol, but I’m in the UK. 

Trust me stay clear from it, it's time of your life your won't get back.

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Of all the movies in the world you can call pretentious...Luca? LUCA?

I find Pixar favours arty products over entertainingly funny ones lately. In my opinion their best years are behind them. I don't think they see children as their target audience as much as they used to

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

I find Pixar favours arty products over entertainingly funny ones lately. In my opinion their best years are behind them. I don't think they see children as their target audience as much as they used to

Which is hilarious considering that kiddos have been eating it up.... at least here in the US. Raya, Luca and Paw Patrol - the 3 movies that kids in my circles have been yapping about all summer (I have 4 of my own so I can speak from actual exposure too.) 

While I found Luca slight, in the comparison of past Pixar, its in no way pretentious. Almost like you don't understand the word. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Which is hilarious considering that kiddos have been eating it up.... at least here in the US. Raya, Luca and Paw Patrol - the 3 movies that kids in my circles have been yapping about all summer (I have 4 of my own so I can speak from actual exposure too.) 

While I found Luca slight, in the comparison of past Pixar, its in no way pretentious. Almost like you don't understand the word. 

I do agree it was pointless and boring though, especially compared to other Pixar (when you have a huge quality streak, you get compared to your own work)...I mean, it's very derivative, and what it derives from is better than Luca is...kids don't notice that (b/c they haven't seen most of the inspirations), but adults do...

The "Little Mermaid scene" set the tone for it just not being good Pixar (beautiful, but boring and derivative)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Something really should move up to October 1 now that both Addams Family and Hotel Transylvania have bailed on their theatrical-exclusive releases. Halloween would be perfect since that would give it a whole month to make as much as it can. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Something really should move up to October 1 now that both Addams Family and Hotel Transylvania have bailed on their theatrical-exclusive releases. Halloween would be perfect since that would give it a whole month to make as much as it can. 

Agreed, horror is being good the entire year, dropping before the wave of releases would only help it.

And they can, the premiere is next week already, move up 2 weeks won't change anything for the Studio.

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Lmao wut?

Every single Pixar movie is a family comedy aimed at being a crowdpleaser. Not a single one has a primary target audience or goal other than that. This statement is ridiculously silly.

• Like 4

In what world is LUCA boring, derivative and not for kids when SOUL and RAYA presumably aren’t in your eyes? Lol

just because Pixar made a movie about childhood that’s designed for children to actually enjoy and vibe with doesn’t make the film inherently lesser than their more artsy fare. The idea of putting that movie on the same level as like ONWARD or BRAVE is nuts to me lol

also if we’re gonna post our opinions as fact, LUCA is a 4.5/5 while THE LITTLE MERMAID is a 2/5 but go off I guess

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Blankments said:

In what world is LUCA boring, derivative and not for kids when SOUL and RAYA presumably aren’t in your eyes? Lol

just because Pixar made a movie about childhood that’s designed for children to actually enjoy and vibe with doesn’t make the film inherently lesser than their more artsy fare. The idea of putting that movie on the same level as like ONWARD or BRAVE is nuts to me lol

also if we’re gonna post our opinions as fact, LUCA is a 4.5/5 while THE LITTLE MERMAID is a 2/5 but go off I guess

Damn, you were doing so well until The Little Mermaid slam.  :sadno:

Just now, Blankments said:

Sorry lol just have never liked it (or Hercules for that matter)

Little Mermaid is the 3rd best of that era of Disney animation - and (as as 89 title) it singularly rewoke up quality Disney animation's 90's Golden Era...Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Little Mermaid in that order are all A tier movies (with Aladdin and Hunchback coming up just behind in the still spectacular tier)...

I mean, this scene is wonderful...and is done better than Luca's echoes of the same now...

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

I'll give the 2nd half a watch later 

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Lmao wut?

Every single Pixar movie is a family comedy aimed at being a crowdpleaser. Not a single one has a primary target audience or goal other than that. This statement is ridiculously silly.

And even though successful, they haven't matched the success from their earlier movies with the exception of Inside Out and sequels from their golden years.

Pixar's brand has grown to the point where they can take the risks and make the movies they want to make. They went from laugh a minute witty comedies about toys, monsters and superheros to movies about Jazz. I won't deny the craft on display in their films, I just feel the older movies had biggers impacts on kids back then whilst these days you'll find a higher percentage of adults in a Pixar screening 

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago said:

And even though successful, they haven't matched the success from their earlier movies with the exception of Inside Out and sequels from their golden years.

Pixar's brand has grown to the point where they can take the risks and make the movies they want to make. They went from laugh a minute witty comedies about toys, monsters and superheros to movies about Jazz. I won't deny the craft on display in their films, I just feel the older movies had biggers impacts on kids back then whilst these days you'll find a higher percentage of adults in a Pixar screening 

Coco was also pretty big everywhere, Luca became a phenomenon on D+, Soul was also huge on D+.

Even Onward which is probably the most prejudice movie by the pandemic ended up being one of the most watched movies of 2020 because streaming.

I don't think they haven't matching their earlier success with new original movies, despite the bad phase between 2011-2014, since then all their movies are being succesful and well received by audiences and critics.

1 minute ago, Chicago said:

The adults you see at those screenings were those kids from back in the day.