WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Candyman 22.37M OW | Free Guy 13.5M, PAW Patrol 6.6M, Jungle Cruise 5M

Candyman number is nice compared to expectations this month though not nice compared to my pre-release expectations - though we can debate until we are blue in the face whether 21-22m would have been the number in normal times or it would have broken out to 30m+. Don't Breathe having a shockingly leggy run. Respect held up well against VOD. Honestly, good weekend for the dog days, last weekend of summer even in normal times. It's my birthday weekend so I know all too well how shit this weekend usually is.

I'm so excited for this week in movies, between all the reviews coming out of Telluride and Venice plus the major implications of Shang-Chi's box office. I wish I could get excited to see Shang-Chi itself but Marvel third act and all that.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Descent? Not a major studio movie but still an accessible wide release.

I need to watch it. Saw a video about the production design and how they tried to light the movie with as little light as possible a couple years back and it seemed fantastic.

• Like 1

I am going to try and watch the original Candyman today since that is the one necessary to see ans understand the new one.

Edited by CJohn

If Free Guy overperforms during the week, it could increase next weekend:

3.6M (+133%)

6.1M (+70%)

4.1M (-33%)

13.8M Weekend, 25% drop

1.3M (-68%)

1.6M (+20%)

1.3M (-20%)

1.2M (-7%)

3M (+150%)

4.8M (+60%)

4.3M (-10%)

12.1M Weekend, 12% drop

35 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Candyman number is nice compared to expectations this month though not nice compared to my pre-release expectations - though we can debate until we are blue in the face whether 21-22m would have been the number in normal times or it would have broken out to 30m+.

It would have done over 30M OW, imo. Movies still aren't performing as they would in regular times.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Don't Breathe is gonna end up with a total around 33-35M. Considering Sony did such last minute marketing for it, I'd consider it a win.

I don’t think it’ll get to $30m, it might lose lots of screens next week. 

37 minutes ago, Blankments said:

the ending is the least satisfying part of Candyman tho

Absolutely disagree, it’s so satisfying. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Great start for Candyman, which should see low-$20M for the weekend and $50M-60M total overall. Universal ended up having a pretty good summer between F9 making a ton of cash plus Forever Purge, Old and Candyman as low-budget wins (Spirit Untamed and Boss Baby 2 both fizzled but hey, what can you do).

Boss Baby did fine considering it was day and date on Peacock, it almost matched Croods 2 domestically, Spirit really tanked though.

But holy crap, Free Guy holding BETTER than last week despite losing Premium theaters!

Edited by Felandria

6 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Boss Baby did fine considering it was day and date on Peacock, it almost matched Croods 2 domestically, Spirit really tanked though.

But holy crap, Free Guy holding BETTER than last week despite losing Premium theaters!

It still has IMAX

It is actually kinda weird Universal didn't try and do a last-minute IMAX conversion for Candyman, because it would probably be a bigger draw than Free Guy on its third weekend. Maybe the soft tracking made them think it wasn't worth it?

45 minutes ago, AJG said:

Off topic: Should I watch the original Dune or Reminiscence tonight?

They're both very bad (but Reminiscence have Rebecca Ferguson being talented and gorgeous so i would prefer this one).

Edited by ThomasNicole

9 minutes ago, Eric Robitaille said:

It is actually kinda weird Universal didn't try and do a last-minute IMAX conversion for Candyman, because it would probably be a bigger draw than Free Guy on its third weekend. Maybe the soft tracking made them think it wasn't worth it?

Probably. Especially when the large screen formats are perhaps just fine waiting for the Marvel movie coming out next weekend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They're both very bad (but Reminiscence have Rebecca Ferguson being talented and gorgeous so i would prefer this one).

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

if you are an insomniac looking for quick sedative, Dune 100%. 

So Wolverine-Inception it is then.

• Haha 2