MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

20 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

The Nolan release dates may just be a really bad timing for here I guess, so close to the memorial days. If they are to release it, they would still need to spend some time and market it right?

Can't say anything about Marketing since plot itself look problematic (Depends on how he makes Japan (Victims, Enemies...) Perhaps that's why Cinemas are worrying how to drive marketing and promotion without boiling past events.. 

But, Nolan is big, not that of Cruise/Depps/Emma but He really made TENET a theatrical experience (Even it took a year to defeat TENET to become the Post-CoVid-19 Highest Grossing Hollywood Film)

54 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

4am shows are already half full. It's gonna do epic business in IMAX, question is how the standard screenings will perform. Things are looking very promising.

I wonder if they'll release in other PLFs, Dunkirk and Tenet got 4DX but I imagine they're very little in the way of action to justify a 4DX release for Oppenheimer. 

On 6/21/2023 at 3:31 PM, keysersoze123 said:

I can also confirm strong boost in sales over past 24 hours driven by this barbeimer discussions. This is going to be one of the big 1-2 punches we have seen in a while. When was the last time we had 2 openers on the same day opening well. Its probably pre pandemic. 

It's pretty cool to think that we could potentially have two $50+ million openers in a weekend with Oppenheimer & Barbie. That would put the two of them among the best weekends for two openers opening well on the same day.

You have to go back 10 years to find the last weekend with two $50+ million openers:

June 21-23, 2013 

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

And before that, there are only two other weekends to have achieved this feat: 

June 8-10, 2012

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 27-29, 2008

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9M

Another reason I think Barbie/Oppenheimer would be an impressive double opener is because all of the above are a combination of family animated + action/horror film.

But it remains to be seen if both Oppenheimer & Barbie can achieve $50M+ openings...

Peace,
Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redolent said:

Oh gosh, Nolan in pink incoming?

I doubt he will even talk about the Barbienheimer sadly, but i bet if he came out in one of his suits but pink promoting Barbie like Margot just did, the internet would crash and the Oppenheimer presales would skyrocket 

• Like 1

I want to see this. It's my kind of movie. I find the subject matter fascinating, and I like these sort of process/solve a problem kinds of stories. But, dang, the trailer just saps more and more excitement from it each time I watch it. I don't know who cut the trailer, but they made nuclear weapons super boring somehow. The trailer for this and The Creator ran one after the other in front of Indy tonight and the difference in intensity and interest was dramatic, even though this is probably way more my speed. How do you make the development of the nuclear bomb look boring? How is that possible? I'm sure the movie itself will be fine, Nolan at least manages a "fine" with his movies and this may end up one of his better ones, but I maintain the trailer does it no favors. 

• Like 1