MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

^ it’s been a while since a Nolan movie had a good trailer. Dunkirk and Tenet’s were lacklustre, though given the structure of those movies I can see why they struggled.

anyway, looked into getting London imax tickets, but there are pretty much no non-front row seats for weeks. Way more popular than I thought it’d be. Wonder if barbennheimer is actually having an effect.

Edited by Hatebox

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

^ it’s been a while since a Nolan movie had a good trailer. Dunkirk and Tenet’s were lacklustre, though given the structure of those movies I can see why they struggled.

I remember the first Dark Knight trailer so vividly. In fact, that entire marketing campaign should be put in the Smithsonian. Never equalled, and certainly never bettered.

Oppenheimer is a really difficult sell for an audience used to Nolan's other output. He tends to work best when he's applying his own sensibilities to very commercial concepts. This is a pretty dry subject matter, despite the obvious striking visuals of the Manhattan Project's conclusion. If this breaks 300 million WW it will have done well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

are they not doing any kind of press junket/interviews with the usuals? Outside of nolans wired interview and cillian with deadline, there has been nothing and sag strike would kill any chance of marketing once it starts

46 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Open question on Japanese release..for obvioius reasons.

From Corpse on WoKJ who is clued in on the japanese market

I'd be very surprised if Oppenheimer either doesn't get released by Toho-Towa or if it's not picked up otherwise by an independent distributor much later down the road like Unbroken.

I highly doubt the film paints a black and white picture of events from America's perspective. And Japan hasn't been known to boycott or censor films. Almost everything gets released in Japan, even if it happens to be 6 months or a year later (Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey was just released for example).

I assume Toho-Towa is waiting to see the film, and since a July/August release won't work in Japan since that coincides with the anniversary date of the bombings, its release date consideration would naturally be pretty far out in the market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

are they not doing any kind of press junket/interviews with the usuals? Outside of nolans wired interview and cillian with deadline, there has been nothing and sag strike would kill any chance of marketing once it starts

There was a sneak picture today of Cillian and RDJ doing a press junket, and others before of Cillian and Nolan in one.

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

Some interviews are scheduled next weekend according to Variety, but this article is from earlier in the month and publicists may have blinked since:

While every major studio has been hand-wringing over the prospect, Nolan’s new ensemble epic “Oppenheimer” is holding firm to its July 7-8 New York junket dates. This falls after the June 30 deadline and could be impacted. 

14 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

I remember the first Dark Knight trailer so vividly. In fact, that entire marketing campaign should be put in the Smithsonian. Never equalled, and certainly never bettered.

No doubt. 

18 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Korea moved from 21 July 2023 to August, 2023

They are targeting the Victory over Japan date - 

common.jpg

Confirmed! They called it Korean Liberation Day.

Box Office is expected at the level of Interstellar. 

Y-Hp9cd-BCFHqb-NYre-Jfct-Wn56b4-M0-DCNy-

• Astonished 1

I'm not saying It's easy to promote a 3 hours period drama about the nuclear bomb with cillian Murphy as main actor, but marketing from Universal has been so weak for this.

All the barbnheimer thing was a gift cause without that honestly right now the movie wouldn't have any internet buzz.

Nolan alone gets people interested and you can see It from the trailer numbers but outside of that Universal has been very sleepy on this. 

Edited by vale9001

13 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Interstellar made the equivalent of $62M USD in SK right? That’d be incredible for Oppenheimer.

At current rates, it will be higher. I am opting for 10M admits in Korea and if reception and expectations end up same as Korean Internet is speaking because of the day. This is going to unimaginable big if everything goes well!!

• Astonished 3

36 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I'm not saying It's easy to promote a 3 hours period drama about the nuclear bomb with cillian Murphy as main actor, but marketing from Universal has been so weak for this.

All the barbnheimer thing was a gift cause without that honestly right now the movie wouldn't have any internet buzz.

Nolan alone gets people interested and you can see It from the trailer numbers but outside of that Universal has been very sleepy on this. 

Better for the movie’s legs to underpromise and over deliver than the other way around. 

Plus the main target demographic is getting plenty of traditional (non-internet) marketing, such as TV spots. Internet buzz is a bonus.

5 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Has it been weak? The trailers are pretty fantastic so far and they've played it with every big movie i've seen this year. I think it helps that they're marketing it as a ticking clock thriller more than a biopic

As far as marketing goes, the volume has been heavier than his WB efforts up till now. Got tv spots throughout NFL season and playoffs, heavy NBA playoff rotation, Oscars, early presale, not all of which WB matched. The best trailer of the bunch though was the one not officially released, the IMAX trailer.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

if this movie having great reviews from critics and audience, this movie should blowup considering the date of the movie release in Korea 6 days weekend ,probably 2m admission opening weekend ? 

there are only 3 country that have a great chance to win over barbie, South Korea, India, and UK. 450-550m total should be possible. 600m total will be in play if there are any china release in the future.