Eric Duncan

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

I'm not going to check this thread much this weekend just based on the last few pages of the tracking thread and first couple pages here and the hysterical doomsday negativity.  Me responding in this thread likely just gets me into trouble, so I'll spare Eric the pleasure of flexing his mod powers.  

With that said, let's have a little bit of perspective on the timeline leading up to this weekend....

- 9 weeks ago theaters were declared dead after TSS bombed.  Most were convinced that any big release was going to have to move to 2022 or be sold off to streaming.  

- 7 weeks ago the media and others were convinced that Venom 2 was moving to 2022 and going as far to publish it as a nearly confirmed rumor at CinemaCon.  

- 6 weeks ago Shang-Chi shocked all of those same people with a $76m opening despite being predicted in the $30m range and day and date on Disney+

- 5 weeks ago more than a few were still convinced NTTD was going to move

- 2 weeks ago Venom 2 and NTTD were predicted in roughly the $50m opening range and that was thought of as good if it happened

- 1 week ago Sony put out an opening weekend projection of $45m for Venom 2

- 5 days ago Venom 2 blew the doors off those projections and opened to $90m

- 3 days ago, based on nothing other than extrapolation, a media article puts out a $100m+ opening weekend projection for NTTD

- 2 days ago trackers were thinking $80m+

- Tonight the projection is $65m-$75m and somehow that is being turned into a disappointment

$60m+ opening for a 163 minute older skewing film on the tail end of a once in a century global pandemic where there are still a number of theaters not yet fully opened (or opened at all) or fully staffed and many have seating restrictions and mask mandates is a fantastic opening.  

I will not hear of this nonsense to the contrary.  

84489ac1737b5b0b7c1cacece4b0a0202d6992b8

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

The labor shortage is not something I am randomly throwing into the equation either, it is a real problem.  I know of at least 3 theater circuits that are having to cap sales this weekend because they didn't initially last weekend and they got absolutely destroyed and had a number of staff walk out during shifts.  

Without getting too deep into why this is happening, it's a real thing.  Many people don't want to come back to work, and even those that do are "out of shape" and not used to getting slammed and having to bust their ass working after mostly sitting around enjoying extended leisure time for the last 18 months.  

It's a huge shock for them when they actually have to deal with work that requires a ton of effort and non-stop activity for 8-10 hours straight.   

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 4

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm not going to check this thread much this weekend just based on the last few pages of the tracking thread and first couple pages here and the hysterical doomsday negativity.  Me responding in this thread likely just gets me into trouble, so I'll spare Eric the pleasure of flexing his mod powers.  

With that said, let's have a little bit of perspective on the timeline leading up to this weekend....

- 9 weeks ago theaters were declared dead after TSS bombed.  Most were convinced that any big release was going to have to move to 2022 or be sold off to streaming.  

- 7 weeks ago the media and others were convinced that Venom 2 was moving to 2022 and going as far to publish it as a nearly confirmed rumor at CinemaCon.  

- 6 weeks ago Shang-Chi shocked all of those same people with a $76m opening despite being predicted in the $30m range and day and date on Disney+

- 5 weeks ago more than a few were still convinced NTTD was going to move

- 2 weeks ago Venom 2 and NTTD were predicted in roughly the $50m opening range and that was thought of as good if it happened

- 1 week ago Sony put out an opening weekend projection of $45m for Venom 2

- 5 days ago Venom 2 blew the doors off those projections and opened to $90m

- 3 days ago, based on nothing other than extrapolation, a media article puts out a $100m+ opening weekend projection for NTTD

- 2 days ago trackers were thinking $80m+

- Tonight the projection is $65m-$75m and somehow that is being turned into a disappointment

$60m+ opening for a 163 minute older skewing film on the tail end of a once in a century global pandemic where there are still a number of theaters not yet fully opened (or opened at all) or fully staffed and many have seating restrictions and mask mandates is a fantastic opening.  

I will not hear of this nonsense to the contrary.  

84489ac1737b5b0b7c1cacece4b0a0202d6992b8

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l46Cca5TnuDH2EONq/giphy.gif?cid=790b76116776694fd10ebe2cd60625bd1fefbc82fdfa500a&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Knock It Off 1

46 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The labor shortage is not something I am randomly throwing into the equation either, it is a real problem.  I know of at least 3 theater circuits that are having to cap sales this weekend because they didn't initially last weekend and they got absolutely destroyed and had a number of staff walk out during shifts.  

Without getting too deep into why this is happening, it's a real thing.  Many people don't want to come back to work, and even those that do are "out of shape" and not used to getting slammed and having to bust their ass working after mostly sitting around enjoying extended leisure time for the last 18 months.  

It's a huge shock for them when they actually have to deal with work that requires a ton of effort and non-stop activity for 8-10 hours straight.   

With what is going on with IATSE right now plus retail workers being treated like shit during the pandemic due to enforcing mask wearing, social distancing etc. I 100% side with the staff over the theatre chains here, if that means slightly less box office so be it. 

If the chains want workers to come back offer better pay and work conditions, pretty simple (would also be my advice with studios and the crews) 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So what? never bother USA to rule for over a century

There's a very simple reason why there's a double standard. The west A: Doesn't care about Chinese box office unless it's for a western film and b nobody in the west has heard or seen the movie. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Gotta love the propaganda department 

It's madness.

A new record breaking movie every week????

And people think it's normal???

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

So now we are not allowed to be disappointed by 65m weekend when there is a movie in China grossing $60m+ daily 7 days in a row.  

No you are not ,not when the bonds franchise biggest ow is 88 ,while the normal range is 60-70 for this iteration and also that movie that you mentioned has way way more hype than bond has in the us and also it has holidays there so.....

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, AJG said:

It's madness.

A new record breaking movie every week????

And people think it's normal???

The haven’t had a movie break the record since 2017, and the only good performances this year have been in huge national holidays. Nothing suspicious about. Please educate yourself on other markets before throwing around baseless conspiracy nonsense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1