Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

Hell, Marvels merchandise was on display at a Mickey D's I popped into this weekend....I guess they could not even move the merchandise shipping to November.

Yeah some stuff like that gets locked in early. It's why there's a ton of X-Men 97 and What If merch out there despite those shows being delayed

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Stumbled across an Instagram Captain Marvel account talking about not having Imax due to Dune 2.

The comments are massively toxic. 

Yeah a lot of people have decided that the IMAX thing is due to "a rejection of wokeness" or whatever instead of...an exclusivity contract. One that Dune might not even keep.

2 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Stumbled across an Instagram Captain Marvel account talking about not having Imax due to Dune 2.

The comments are massively toxic. 

It’s Captain Marvel; the comments are sadly always toxic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah a lot of people have decided that the IMAX thing is due to "a rejection of wokeness" or whatever instead of...an exclusivity contract. One that Dune might not even keep.

Yeah, Dune Part 1 made an IMAX frenzy and showed its capabilities to the fullest (though I haven't experienced it firsthand in IMAX yet...) so of course the expectations from IMAX for Part 2 are sky-high and even Nolan and Oppenheimer weren't so waited as this by IMAX before it hit the theaters and proved itself. They are running a business.

1 minute ago, von Kenni said:

Yeah, Dune Part 1 made an IMAX frenzy and showed its capabilities to the fullest (though I haven't experienced it firsthand in IMAX yet...) so of course the expectations from IMAX for Part 2 are sky-high and even Nolan and Oppenheimer weren't so waited as this by IMAX before it hit the theaters and proved itself. They are running a business.

The big difference between Dune Part 2 and Oppenheimer is that the former won't be breaking their film projectors. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The big difference between Dune Part 2 and Oppenheimer is that the former won't be breaking their film projectors. 

Whaaat, has Oppenheimer done that?

And to be clear, Oppenheimer was phenomenal in IMAX but I was just meaning that the exhibitors must have thought before hand that okay, one great moment of explosion and typical loud music and sounds but not like any Interstellar 2 but otherwise and biopic whereas Dune Part 1 is a reference point for Part 2 and the knowledge how it has epic war scenes among else.

Just now, von Kenni said:

Whaaat, has Oppenheimer done that?

And to be clear, Oppenheimer was phenomenal in IMAX but I was just meaning that the exhibitors must have thought before hand that okay, one great moment of explosion and typical loud music and sounds but not like any Interstellar 2 but otherwise and biopic whereas Dune Part 1 is a reference point for Part 2 and the knowledge how it has epic war scenes among else.

Oppenheimer's length is stretching those IMAX film projectors to their absolute limit which is resulting in issues that are popping out occasionally.  

• Astonished 1

50 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Wasn’t it rumored a few weeks ago that this might be over three hours? 

Dune is not shot on proper 70MM IMAX but rather IMAX's brand of "IMAX-certified" digital cameras, so will not get a 70MM IMAX release and can be as long as that puppy needs to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Wasn’t it rumored a few weeks ago that this might be over three hours? 

Rumor came from an unreliable source and was shot down by a slightly more reliable source, so it’s anyone guess what the runtime is at this point. 

2 hours ago, Squire said:

Rumor came from an unreliable source and was shot down by a slightly more reliable source, so it’s anyone guess what the runtime is at this point. 

Given how Villeneuve needed to shorten the first one and what is left in the story, it's hard to see this much less than three hours. Not at least less than 2 hours and 45 min. Otherwise, it'll end up having similar continuation problems as Lynch's Dune. The pacing will break up badly.

1 hour ago, von Kenni said:

Given how Villeneuve needed to shorten the first one and what is left in the story, it's hard to see this much less than three hours. Not at least less than 2 hours and 45 min. Otherwise, it'll end up having similar continuation problems as Lynch's Dune. The pacing will break up badly.

I generally agree. I don’t think it will have the rumored 3 hour 15 min runtime, but I think a runtime similar to The Batman is likely. 

• Like 1

All I see is “Part II” whenever I see this thread. Tbh, they should change the name to that and make it the official marketing gimmick. Probably a better chance it does something, create some intrigue. 

In all seriousness… if over 3 hrs is actually true, this is more screwed at the BO than I already thought. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

That seems like a safe guess. I think people expecting this to be another Oppenheimer type hit will be disappointed though. More than the first for sure though since it's not a hybrid.

Agreed. 

I’d love to see it breakout, but considering how other movies have performed this year, I’d be happy with $550-$625M for Part 2. 

I liked Oppenheimer, but it’s the kind of move that if Nolan’s name wasn’t attached to it, I don’t think it would be doing half as well as it is. He just has a way of bringing people out to the theater. 

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Aquaman is locked in, so no more reshoots. So if Dune is delayed, it would basically have to be 2024.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if DV has re-shoots planned for Dune Part 2. Some key scenes in Part 1 were re-shoots DV planned during the editing process. So, if that is the case here, the strikes may force a practical delay of the film beyond the marketing concerns.