Eric S'ennui

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I've been staying out of these SW discussions for the most part lately (coz, what's the point? [plus, blood pressure]), but L-O-L at the idea that TFA wasn't a "crowd pleaser" at the time.

Has it been re-evaluated as time has gone on? Hard to say it hasn't.  But in the moment/aftermath of release? Oh let's say six months to a year?  Extremely popular and "crowd pleasing".

Like, really now.

Yeah not sure if people forgot or WTF they are thinking but the film was super well received at the time. My opening weekend screening hardly went 10 minutes without applause. Craziest crowd reactions I've ever seen from a US crowd.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GoblinXXR said:

Halfway between Black Panther and Endgame feels like a good landing spot for NWH. 

Not sure why you've corrected me. 3.4x is what it needs to reach endgame. Not 2.4

Wait? We’re all playing down how huge the reaction was to TFA now? Let alone how anticipated it was. 

Lest we forget, not only did it utterly annihilate the opening weekend record, but it went on to become the biggest grossing movie of all time. 

For the record, I was 19 in 1999 so remember the hype and anticipation for TPM.  I don’t think anything has got close to the levels of hype that had.  TFA, A:EG were close, but Menace was on its own. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Not sure why you've corrected me. 3.4x is what it needs to reach endgame. Not 2.4

I misunderstood what you where saying. This is the part that needs to be corrected, "which would be record(?) low for a 50m OW in December."

TLJ and TROS both opened over $50M and went under 3x 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

MoM is going to be massive. 
I think that’s become pretty clear based on the reaction to NWH.  

Multiverse of Mulah 

Waynes World Reaction GIF

Why does this prove Multiverse of Madness be huge? For one thing we know almost nothing about it. And Doctor Strange is a way less popular character/franchise than Spiderman. 

1 minute ago, GoblinXXR said:

I misunderstood what you where saying. This is the part that needs to be corrected, "which would be record(?) low for a 50m OW in December."

TLJ and TROS both opened over $50M and went under 3x 

You are right ! I couldn't think of any films which had weaker legs but I'm being an idiot, of course both SW sequels did. My bad :P

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

63+

I see EC gave 64+. That is what I also think but I have a gut that Sony may adjust down Sat & in doing so also Sunday projection will come down. Happened with Venom Sunday.

Any idea how far Sat might go down? Right now $121.8, $73.8, and $63 gets us to $256.8. We’re close to IW but looks like it could go either way by just a bit

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Wait? We’re all playing down how huge the reaction was to TFA now? Let alone how anticipated it was. 

Lest we forget, not only did it utterly annihilate the opening weekend record, but it went on to become the biggest grossing movie of all time. 

For the record, I was 19 in 1999 so remember the hype and anticipation for TPM.  I don’t think anything has got close to the levels of hype that had.  TFA, A:EG were close, but Menace was on its own. 

If we are considering only the USA/West then maybe, but Endgame's global opening puts it in a class of its own. Yes, TPM didn't have as many markets, but still. 

Plus TFA's total was more impressive in 2015 than TPM's in 1999, though it did have the benefit of December and stronger reception. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's a direct sequel for NWH and based on the plot leaks, it's even more massive than NWH when it comes to exciting surprise appareances, it's really being made as a giant event movie. The trailer being at the end of NWH is just an evidence of how big they're shaping this thing to be.

I don't think that's enough to match Spidey, but i think it will be kinda close.

Someone needs to DM me this stuff so I have context, because the trailer at end of Spider Man seemed to be about two tv shows I never watched.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Why does this prove Multiverse of Madness be huge? For one thing we know almost nothing about it. And Doctor Strange is a way less popular character/franchise than Spiderman. 

Because this isn't just a Doctor Strange movie.

The multiverse on the title is very appropriate because they're putting LOTS of exciting characters in this, it's online for who wants to search it.

The character already growed up in popularity because of IW / EG / NWH, but this is another event movie, Doctor Strange name is on it just like Captain America in Civil War even if it's not a simple CA movie.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

Any idea how far Sat might go down? Right now $121.8, $73.8, and $63 gets us to $256.8. We’re close to IW but looks like it could go either way by just a bit

Its hard to get what studio actual may be, it can always be +/-0.5%. So I am not even gonna attempt but one thing is sure, its gonna be over 259M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Avatree said:

carry over from the audience lapping up NWH. If NWH ends up doing $700-800 million then I’m willing to bet MoM will make way more money than anybody would have predicted a few months ago. 

There will be spillover. 

maybe I’m wrong. We’ll see. I just think it’ll be perceived as a kind of carry-on. 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Someone needs to DM me this stuff so I have context, because the trailer at end of Spider Man seemed to be about two tv shows I never watched.

I don't have a link anymore, but it's on Reddit. More things leaked today actually, from the reshoots, it was big back then and even bigger now.

Feige really wants two massive crossover movies with NWH and MOM