Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

For fucks shake spideys performance should basically make everyone feel safe.....1,8 billion WITHOUT CHINA at a time when covid was at all time high doubling and tripling previous records .At this point covid isnt a significant issue at least for this types of movies.

• Like 4

Everything everyone else has been saying plus the Omi seven day average has been declining for 13 days in a row now in the U.S. Hospitalizations are also in a decided downtrend. It would be utter insanity to move.

Edited by A Star is Orm
typo
  • Like 2

If Thor 4 is moving to Nov, there gotta be something coming before that. Just having 2 MCU movies in a year is unbelievable.

Also sorta don't like November date now. There is 0 holiday boost + you get competition in Week 3 & 4. Labor Day is better than that. Also works better for spacing. May to November is 6 months gap & then BP2 proly in Feb after 3 months.  Better to go Thor in Sep/Oct (4-5 months gap) & then BP 2 in Feb.

I know Avatar 2 is coming on Xmas but only reason I can tolerate Thor 4 moving & us having just 2 MCU movies is if it release on Xmas.

I will wait before freaking out because he said he don't really think it's happening, so they probably just slightly considering. 

But if it happen it will be definitely the dumbest thing they ever did, and yes, worse than putting the 2021 slate on HBO Max.

• Like 3

Scheduling is so off this year. With July and November squished.

July: Minions, Thor, Bullet Train (should be August), Nope, Black Adam.

August.. complete dead zone. Bros moved to Sept which is bizarre unless Universal wants a TIFF premiere. August is prime for comedy breakouts ala Free Guy and Good Boys, Crazy Rich Asians, etc

November as of now has The Flash, the David O. Russell film, Black Panther, Thirteen Lives, She Said, Creed 3, The Fablemans, Disney's Strange World?

Dec having Avatar 2 and Aquaman 2 same weekend still makes no sense.

Spread these out. Give theaters variety

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Scheduling is so off this year. With July and November squished.

July: Minions, Thor, Bullet Train (should be August), Nope, Black Adam.

August.. complete dead zone. Bros moved to Sept which is bizarre unless Universal wants a TIFF premiere. August is prime for comedy breakouts ala Free Guy and Good Boys, Crazy Rich Asians, etc

November as of now has The Flash, the David O. Russell film, Black Panther, Thirteen Lives, She Said, Creed 3, The Fablemans, Disney's Strange World?

Dec having Avatar 2 and Aquaman 2 same weekend still makes no sense.

Spread these out. Give theaters variety

I fully expect some of the November movies will end up changing their release dates around. With the Fabelmans already set for Thanksgiving it's likely Universal will move their other awards season contender (She Said) to Christmas.

December is clearly banking on an Avatar 2 vs. Aquaman 2 showdown that won't be happening since one of them is destined to blink in the end. The only other movies set for Christmas at the moment are Mario and (Whitney Houston biopic) I Wanna Dance with Somebody. Still going with the belief that Aquaman 2 and Wonka will end up trading spots (with Wonka going for a Christmas Day launch instead of going against Avatar).

• Like 1

It's depressing to look back today on a schedule that I found in my email from mid-November that had the following for Q1 2022.  A complete fucking gutting of the schedule for no reason.  Roughly $750m domestic either removed or pushed from the schedule.  Something like $1.8b+ overall gone.  If you couple this with the mistakes that were make by studios in the last 3 weeks of December, it is really a fucking travesty of leadership among the studios and industry.  

Jan. 7th - The 355

Jan. 14th - The Man From Toronto, Deep Water, Scream

Jan. 21st - Operation Fortune, Redeeming Love, The King's Daughter

Jan. 28th - Morbius

Feb. 4th - Moonfall, Jackass Forever, The Black Phone

Feb. 11th - Marry Me, Death on the Nile, The Devil's Light

Feb. 18th - Rumble, Uncharted, Ambulance

Feb. 25th - The Outfit

March 4th - The Batman

March 11th - Turning Red

March 18th - The Unbreakable Boy, The Contractor, Downton Abbey

March 25th - The Lost City

• Like 1

The biggest travesty of all is Disney and Turning Red.  Such a stupid and short sighted decision by people that don't understand simple economics and revenue streams.  

Turning Red will gain Disney+ nearly zero new subscribers.  It will retain zero subscribers.  Anyone and everyone that is going to watch Turning Red already subscribes.  

What it did cost them is potentially $200m domestic and maybe $500m world wide at the box office.  It also fucked theater owners out of hundreds of millions of dollars in ticket sales and food/beverage sales.  All so the hard work of Pixar can live on some idiots 42 inch tv in bumfuck Ohio.  

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's depressing to look back today on a schedule that I found in my email from mid-November that had the following for Q1 2022.  A complete fucking gutting of the schedule for no reason.  Roughly $750m domestic either removed or pushed from the schedule.  Something like $1.8b+ overall gone.  If you couple this with the mistakes that were make by studios in the last 3 weeks of December, it is really a fucking travesty of leadership among the studios and industry.  

Jan. 7th - The 355

Jan. 14th - The Man From Toronto, Deep Water, Scream

Jan. 21st - Operation Fortune, Redeeming Love, The King's Daughter

Jan. 28th - Morbius

Feb. 4th - Moonfall, Jackass Forever, The Black Phone

Feb. 11th - Marry Me, Death on the Nile, The Devil's Light

Feb. 18th - Rumble, Uncharted, Ambulance

Feb. 25th - The Outfit

March 4th - The Batman

March 11th - Turning Red

March 18th - The Unbreakable Boy, The Contractor, Downton Abbey

March 25th - The Lost City

I'm likely part of the problem because the only movie on that list I want to watch in theaters is Batman.

49 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I can't imagine The Batman will move now but guess WB have to make some changes. Maybe The Flash to September/October, Shazam 2 closer to Black Adam and maybe day and date or Max-exclusive, Aquaman to Easter 2023? Something like that.

Warner should delay Aquaman. 

Put any +200M movie directly against Avatar on the same day alone is dumb. But considering both have huge appeal to China and both have underwater plots only make everything worse, they will be compared and i'm sure one of then will be way more good looking than the other. 

There are rumours the post production is too rushed for Aquaman and VFX teams are already suffering to deliver by December, it's a good enough reason to delay it. And also, it's opening just a month after The Flash, it's Crazy to put 2 huge movies from the same company based on the same universe to directly compete.