Eric is Quiet

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

7 minutes ago, DC Rich said:

There goes my 802m. 

Probably but not certainly. Lets say it follows this line, IW and EG both added an additional $125-130M after the 3rd weekend which would put this in the $740's. On the other handed, TA1 added $166M and BP added $198M. Given the lack of competition in January and perhaps more people feeling better about seeing this in less crowded theaters, it could drive late legs. 

Edited by GoblinXXR
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Serious question here, from people who understand COVID better than I do, why exactly is Omicron causing all these shutdowns and restrictions and lockdowns? I know this happened with Delta to an extent, but here in the States they're closing down Broadway shows and sports and concerts and I'm just confused when folks are also saying it's a less deadly variant compared to Delta.

Because its also winter, meaning the virus would spread even easier. 

• Like 1

Just now, GoblinXXR said:

Probably but not certainly. Lets say it follows this line, IW and EG both added an additional $125-130M after the 3rd weekend which would put this in the $740's. On the other handed, TA1 added $166M and BP added $198M. Given the lack of competition in January and perhaps more people feeling better about seeing this in less crowded theaters, perhaps it could drive late legs. 

No worries, just having a little fun on a boring Wednesday at work.  There is always hope.  NWH will have a fairly open run up though January and beyond.  However, I'm afraid that the box office will shrivel back up after the holidays for the next two months.  Minus a decent opening for Scream and Morbius but not much else. 

24 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

I think for a movie with multiple characters "assemble" like this, more general audiences will come if the info about the characters has been spread widely enough.  

question the marketing strategy for this movie from disney/sony. they should give more info about all the characters in the movie after one week debut to get more attention from the audiences.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Serious question here, from people who understand COVID better than I do, why exactly is Omicron causing all these shutdowns and restrictions and lockdowns? I know this happened with Delta to an extent, but here in the States they're closing down Broadway shows and sports and concerts and I'm just confused when folks are also saying it's a less deadly variant compared to Delta.

Here in Scotland they’re saying they haven’t had great evidence to support the claims of milder symptoms yet. 

They’re going from the view point of “even if it’s milder, it’s so much more transmissible that even a small percentage of cases needing hospital treatment could still be a huge amount of people”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveL647 said:

I remember we thought 500M+ for NWH would be a epic success at first, but now we are greedy and dissatisfied😅

Yeah, you all need to relax...NWH is TFA, but with Covid-time results...it will be as big as the Covid era allows it (which I'm hoping will be bigger than I thought since summer?:)...and nothing will touch it til we end this era...it's that big an event...

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

It's not understanding Covid, but understanding politics...

People tend to blame politicians for doing nothing more than for doing something...so, they always err to doing something, even if doing something is stupid or counter-productive...b/c doing nothing and having it blow up (even if the odds are low) is career destroying, and politicians 1st job is always to protect their own careers...

Cynical soap box over - Go Spidey!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eric Smith said:

A lot of places are having record numbers of cases and have to shut down due to fears over hospital capacity. The average time for a covid patient to recover is around 3 weeks, which is a huge strain on capacity. If Canada was smart they would have built new temporary hospitals for covid patients like China managed to do within the first month of covid. But instead with all of our braindead PC premiers, we’re bleeding hospital staff because they’re too greedy to pay them a competitive wage or have decent working conditions.

I wish I could give you my answer but that's frowned upon here at this site. So my answer is they're overreacting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

If I was a small business in these countries I would say fuck it and stay open and dare the government to come shut me down.  

These things are happening in canada. There was a restaurant in British Columbia that fought it and actually went to the supreme Court of Canada and they won the right to stay open. It only ends when not just individuals but small businesses and even big business just say fuck you I'm staying open.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoblinXXR said:

Anything over $25M domestic on Wednesday is a good hold given the new films opening today.

I think it will pass that no problem. 

Yesterday was a big hit thanks to parts of Canada closing down completely, and further restrictions in others. 

I think it'll pass 25 million with ease, and likely another 25 million tomorrow. 
For me, anything 600m+ final total is great. We cannot ignore a raging pandemic.

Last year WW84 finished below 50 million total. Just think how far we've come!

Omicron capacity of spreading is 750% over Delta. And the worst part, it is capable of surpass vaccines protection against infections, so not only unvax people can get it, but people that already got sick or vaccinated can get it as well.

The vaccines still work for severe disease / death, but still, when you got so many people sick at the same time hospitals can crash anyway, and that alone is enough to bring fear and uncertainty.

If i remember correctly US record of cases in one day isn't much over 200k during Delta peak, yesterday was nearly 200k and Omicron wave isn't even close to reach it's peak, so you see it's a truly chaotic situation and next months will be terrible.

Some people like to fool themselves for whatever reason and pretending everything is great, but it's nearly impossible to ignore that things will get uglier than ever soon at least when it comes to cases, so yeah shutdowns or at least restrictions is definitely a possibility by January or February, if it's gonna happen and how much it can hurt box office or make movies get a bit delayed we still have to wait to see how things goes, it's possible tho.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

South Africa December 21th:

57M people

15k new positives.

35 deaths

25% vaccination 

Omicron is SO dangerous...

They already reached the Omicron peak, it's coming down now.

Their major concern now is that kids are drying a lot, the variant is making them very fragile (kinda like older people last year), which is of course terrible.