EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

I was talking to a friend just now and you know what I still don't fucking believe? That Marvel's Eternals, directed by Chloe Zhao and produced by Kevin Feige which was sold as MCU is going to the Oscars, is sitting at 47% on RT. My mind always takes a bit to process that information. My friend told me every time he remembers he needs to check RT to confirm it is true. That is a thing that happened. The whiplash I feel every time I see it or think about it is crazy.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I was talking to a friend just now and you know what I still don't fucking believe? That Marvel's Eternals, directed by Chloe Zhao and produced by Kevin Feige which was sold as MCU is going to the Oscars, is sitting at 47% on RT. My mind always takes a bit to process that information. My friend told me every time he remembers he needs to check RT to confirm it is true. That is a thing that happened. The whiplash I feel every time I see it or think about it is crazy.

Marvel can indeed make mediocre and bad movies. It happens. I know, its shocking. That in a 30+ film franchise, not every film is good.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Everytime if they asked me this question I will reply, "Are you some freaking incel or nerd? Go out there and mingle around people!"

Size matters, and they always do, therefore big screen is here to serve that scientific law.     

Covid sort of have made some people into socially isolated people. 

1 (1) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pict… $84,525,000 -68% 4,336 n/c $19,494 $470,356,855 2
Dec 24, 2021 1 $19,650,000 -33% -84% 4,336 $4,532   $405,481,855 8
Dec 25, 2021 1 $31,600,000 +61% -57% 4,336 $7,288   $437,081,855 9
Dec 26, 2021 1 $33,275,000 +5% -48% 4,336 $7,674   $470,356,855 10

Revised estimate. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:
1 (1) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pict… $84,525,000 -68% 4,336 n/c $19,494 $470,356,855 2
Dec 24, 2021 1 $19,650,000 -33% -84% 4,336 $4,532   $405,481,855 8
Dec 25, 2021 1 $31,600,000 +61% -57% 4,336 $7,288   $437,081,855 9
Dec 26, 2021 1 $33,275,000 +5% -48% 4,336 $7,674   $470,356,855 10

Revised estimate. 

Nice

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Marvel can indeed make mediocre and bad movies. It happens. I know, its shocking. That in a 30+ film franchise, not every film is good.

That's true, but Eternals wasn't one of them. it was Much better than Shang-Chi and Black Widow. not quite as good as Spider-Man though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

That's true, but Eternals wasn't one of them. it was Much better than Shang-Chi and Black Widow. not quite as good as Spider-Man though.

Im not directly referring to any particular film actually, i just observe so many people thinking Marvel is unable to make even mediocre movies, that all what they touch must be gold. Its a common sentiment in regards to Marvel movies on the Internet. And thats just something that i disagree with and that can even lead some to disappointment when expectation get to that level for every single MCU film i think. Its just impossible to please everyone with every film.

I mean, i know a good friend who despises Endgame. Endgame, of all movies. Just goes to show that something that is gold for you can also be junk for someone else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

yeah that was pretty funny. also funny that feige has switched to trying to get an Oscar for spider-man. the man got a taste for it with black panther now he's down bad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Had my 5 siblings on a Christmas call and pitched them watching Spidey - none of them had.  Two of them said "this will be on Disney Plus in a month anyway" and then I had to tell them it isn't Disney and this one wouldn't have free streaming for months...

Not sure I convinced any of them to go, but there's your 35+ adults with 12 and unders families who pre-Covid did see movies...if streaming is too fast, they stay home...

Also some people need to be encouraged for going to theater. No everyone is comfortable going to cinema alone. If they can't find accompany, they will stay home for streaming. Just like the case of NTTD for me, if I never initiated the invite, I wouldn't know I have another 2 friends of mine who were actually interested watching NTTD in cinema despite it had been out for nearly 2 months and available for streaming. 

The covid-19 has sort of damage some social bond and make some people more isolated, which isn't a good sign for moviegoing since cinema is a communal activity and many went to cinema maybe simply because of they are accompanied by their friends or family, not the movie itself. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 2

I’m a little embarrassed to have overestimated Eternals. I assumed it’d be Marvel’s second biggest hit of the year, but that didn’t happen. I didn’t love it, but I don’t entirely understand why, out of 26 MCU movies, that’s the one that has a low Tomatometer score. 

Anyway, looks like NWH’s second weekend drop isn’t as bad as it initially seemed. $700 million might still be in reach, but beating Avatar is probably out of the question. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CJohn said:

People thinking FB3 will do well are insane. Shit will tank DOM and end with like a 70M DOM total or something. This is the Dark Phoenix/Convergent of the franchise.

I have never been more convinced this movie is going to do well now.  

• Like 3