Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (1/7-9) | The 355 - 350K Previews (5K short!)

26 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It sucks that January and February are empty. People will get used to not going to the theaters again. Thank God The Batman releases in March to get things going again, but the routine of going to the theater will be disrupted again by these two empty months

True, at least they are way up from 2021 though, January 2022 has already made more than both of those months in just over a week.

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Not trying to spin here for optimism sake, but that's legit like at least two mill more than I expected for 355 lol

It’s 1.25 more and I won’t entertain any other figure otherwise

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Could be, but I think could be bit higher admits. I was thinking around $11 ATP.

EG 10.28 right? CPI would take that to ~11.25, though I guess NWH will have more matinees from holiday weeks. 

Everyone is saying Jan/Feb are dead which is true to an extent but Jackass will probably open over 20 in Feb. Why not? Nostalgia, big trailers, young fanbase. Scream still on pace for 30 next week. Moonfall can do, like, 8 which isn't far off from what non-IPs have been doing. Death on Nile and Marry Me are probably dead however. Dog and Uncharted could go either way. 

Licorice Pizza is holding well and hasn't fully expanded yet. House of Gucci crept back into top 10. There's still Spiderman. 

Better than nothing. 

• Like 3

2 empty months doesn’t really matter. Jan Feb of 2019 were weak, not like that mattered. People aren’t some weird hamsters that need to go to theaters every month to remember they exist, they can take things off for 20 months and they’ll come back when there’s finally a draw (as many just did).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Everyone is saying Jan/Feb are dead which is true to an extent but Jackass will probably open over 20 in Feb. Why not? Nostalgia, big trailers, young fanbase. Scream still on pace for 30 next week. Moonfall can do, like, 8 which isn't far off from what non-IPs have been doing. Death on Nile and Marry Me are probably dead however. Dog and Uncharted could go either way. 

Licorice Pizza is holding well and hasn't fully expanded yet. House of Gucci crept back into top 10. There's still Spiderman. 

Better than nothing. 

I agree.

I get the impression that Jackass’ fan base probably aren’t worried about covid lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

2 empty months doesn’t really matter. Jan Feb of 2019 were weak, not like that mattered. People aren’t some weird hamsters that need to go to theaters every month to remember they exist, they can take things off for 20 months and they’ll come back when there’s finally a draw (as many just did).

It just sucks for the theaters

• Like 1

The Golden Globes are tweeting their results, then sending out a press release. There was talk of a livestream but it didn't pan out, either. Two years ago they had Ricky Gervais hosting and 18 million viewers. Oh well, nothing lasts forever...

January is usually a perfectly fine month for theaters thanks to the carryover of multiple strong December films, expansion of awards contenders, and its own share of strong new releases. This year has only “Spider-Man” and the hope that “Scream” next weekend can exceed expectations.

The first weekend of 2020 had a bigger #1 title with the expansion of “1917” scoring $37 million. Four films grossed over $10 million and everything in the top 10 made over $5 million. This year, only “Spider-Man” and “Sing” managed more than $10 million and everything else fell below $5 million.

If I were Sony I would move Uncharted to a Wednesday release. Considering the state of the marketplace the movie will drop 70% against The Batman, they need as many days as possible before it opens.

Another trash weekend but not much that could have been done to prevent it. Matrix, West Side Story and King's Man are disaster holdhovers, The 355 would bomb in any market. A slow and painful death is coming to theaters over the next couple of years. Hopefully Scream opens above 30M on the 4 day weekend.

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Won't be surprised with $100M.

Possibly over Avatar DOM and over $1.8B WW without China. Who would have imagined this 6 months ago (pre-teaser being 20% bigger than Endgame's trailer). 

• Like 2

Just now, Product Driven Legion said:

Can’t wait for the “did pandemic stop 2B WW-C” debates ;) 

I'm of the mindset that the Omicron surge/4th wave cost it 7-10% globally. Obviously some countries (like SK) would probably be 40-60% higher but I think that's exceptionally few and far between. Domestically, I think the increase would be less than 5%. Same with the UK and most of Europe, Australia, Japan, Latin America, etc etc.