Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (1/21-23) | Asgard 2 says 3.5 Fri for Scream, 3.4 Spider-Man

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

So, Redeeming Love is based on a racy, best-selling Christian novel...

Surely, the Christian media are more positive? Eh...

A racy Christian novel that ended up adapted into a PG-13 movie. lol.

• Like 1

I'm still amazed by the fact The King's Daughter was made almost eight years ago. New Mutants found dead in a ditch. Apparently it's the movie where real-life spouses Kaya Scodelario and Benjamin Walker first met while making it and went on to welcome two kids as the movie languished on the shelf.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Has there been a bigger flop than Matrix this year? It can't even make $40 million total. 😂

FWIW the original film made $37M in 5 days Easter 1999... the average ticket price was $5.06

37 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Has there been a bigger flop than Matrix this year? It can't even make $40 million total. 😂

HBO Max + release date just crushed it. 

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

So, Redeeming Love is based on a racy, best-selling Christian novel...

Surely, the Christian media are more positive? Eh...

I didn't know anything about this outside of the poster and I thought it was just some Nicholas Sparks wannabe about two star-crossed lovers trying to find love again. Kind of disappointed, not gonna lie.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eric Riley said:

I didn't know anything about this outside of the poster and I thought it was just some Nicholas Sparks wannabe about two star-crossed lovers trying to find love again. Kind of disappointed, not gonna lie.

I am reading the Wikipedia entry right now and like…

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

A racy Christian novel that ended up adapted into a PG-13 movie. lol.

There are fans of this who aren't going to watch a movie that's R-rated for sex (Passion of the Christ was merely violent, which is totally fine for kids to watch, lol). Even with the PG-13, you see tweets from Christians saying it’s a sacrilegious treatment of the Bible and that watching actors in (tame) love scenes can stir up lust, so the movie should be avoided.

I've read that in the Golden Age of Hollywood, the religious epics got away with more skimpy costumes and implications of sex because the producers could argue it was Biblical. It's wild that the same sort of thing is still happening in 2022.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

There are fans of this who aren't going to watch a movie that's R-rated for sex (Passion of the Christ was merely violent, which is totally fine for kids to watch, lol). Even with the PG-13, you see tweets from Christians saying it’s a sacrilegious treatment of the Bible and that watching actors in (tame) love scenes can stir up lust, so the movie should be avoided.

tumblr_of04ymxO451ruw1vso1_500.gifv

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Deadline on The Batman…

”analysts seem to debate whether the Matt Reeves DC title will be another $100M+ opener; news of the pic’s 2 hour and 55 minute running time casting a bit of doubt.”

Are they serious? Lmao

100M is happening. Deadline are being funny

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Deadline on The Batman…

”analysts seem to debate whether the Matt Reeves DC title will be another $100M+ opener; news of the pic’s 2 hour and 55 minute running time casting a bit of doubt.”

Are they serious? Lmao

Why not? The runtime probably will hurt a little, it wasn't obviously gonna crush 100 even with a normal one.   

I'm still on like 120 I guess but this is hardly the deadline low-ball special "the industry will be happy with [40% of the realistic OW]."

4 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Why not? The runtime probably will hurt a little, it wasn't obviously gonna crush 100 even with a normal one.   

I'm still on like 120 I guess but this is hardly the deadline low-ball special "the industry will be happy with [40% of the realistic OW]."

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

There'll be meltdowns if it doesn't not do at least 130M

I don't subscribed to some of the...ahem...crazier numbers, but I would be pretty surprised if it was only $120M and I think $100M is locked. If it can't do 10% over V2 then I'd be shocked. I'm still on the $140-155M OW train. 

• Like 1

I could be missing something or I end up jinxing this, but I fail to see how Batman misses 100M. The hype's been strong for a long time now and it's in a strong release date as the next big thing after Spider-Man. And while I know all this stuff is finicky, the Twitter trends, trailer likes, and Quorum tracking all indicate super positive stuff. Barring potentially awful reviews, I don't see why this is so hard to believe.

• Like 1

I think due to the current box office climate, Warner Bros. clinched at least $100M+ for the opening weekend as soon as they decided to put "Batman" in the movie's title. People will want Batman.

EDIT: I thought this was the Batman thread 😶

Edited by SLAM!