BActress: Nicole Kidman/Olivia Colma

BActor: Benny C

BDirect: Jane

BAdaScree: Jane(Power of Dog)

BScreen: PTA(LP)

BAnimated:Encanto

BSong:Encanto

BScore: Dune/Encanto 

Encanto mania is very strong right now. I am going for non conventional choice for BP. I somehow think Drive My Car will pull through.

Next in line for me is Belfast. It's very strong contender for BP

• ...wtf 1

36 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

My predictions:

BP : Drive My Car

BActress: Nicole Kidman/Olivia Colma

BActor: Benny C

BDirect: Jane

BAdaScree: Jane(Power of Dog)

BScreen: PTA(LP)

BAnimated:Encanto

BSong:Encanto

BScore: Dune/Encanto 

Encanto mania is very strong right now. I am going for non conventional choice for BP. I somehow think Drive My Car will pull through.

Next in line for me is Belfast. It's very strong contender for BP

Drive My Car isn't winning BP without any other win except for Foreign Film.

Why would Belfast be a very strong contender when it missed Editing? Birdman was first BP winner to win without Editing since Ordinary People in 1980. It's not happening. Birdman missed because it was the one-take element. Even Green Book made Editing. Not only that, it missed Cinematography, too.

BP will be Power of the Dog. There's no reason to be cute about it. 12 nominations, already won the Globe and is frontrunner for Director, Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay. It has everything it needs now 

35 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why would Belfast be a very strong contender when it missed Editing? Birdman was first BP winner to win without Editing since Ordinary People in 1980. It's not happening. Birdman missed because it was the one-take element. Even Green Book made Editing. Not only that, it missed Cinematography, too.

BP will be Power of the Dog. There's no reason to be cute about it. 12 nominations, already won the Globe and is frontrunner for Director, Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay. It has everything it needs now 

Yes, after this morning announcement, the race is over. The movie exceeded the even most optimistic expectations. It will take miracle to knock it down, at least statistically speaking.

Also don't think it's been mentioned but Judi Dench has joined the 8-time nominee club. Pretty huge achievement, and probably what landed her the Supporting Actress nom for Belfast over Balfe (especially when nobody knows how many chances for a nomination she has left).

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Don’t understand the hate for DLU, it may not be a great film but certainly a worthy film to pay attention, especially for its message. Glad that academy managed to ignore critics group voice and go ahead with their thought. Academy voters is a group of industry professional, they are not critics group puppets. Sometime industry and critics agree, sometime they do not, as simple as that. they should have ability to recognise whatever they think should make it in at the consensus level. Happy to see DLU getting nomination despite attack from critics group, like joker and BR. 

Crash had a “good message” or whatever but it was still a shit movie. There’s plenty of good movies with good messages.

4 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Why do you say WSS is dead at Best Picture?

I know stats aren't everything but mostly because of stats.

To win BP you need to be also nommed in director, screenplay, acting and editing. It shows you have enough support to truly contend. Most BP winners get all those noms, the ones that don't can miss just one of those fields but not more than one. ROTK and Parasite missed acting, Birdman missed editing, Green Book and several others missed director etc but every single one got at least 4/5. You have to go back to the early decades of the oscars to find a movie than won BP after missing both screenplay and editing (like WSS) or both acting and editing (like Licorice Pizza).

Power of the Dog went 5/5 and Belfast 4/5. Ofc Power is far and away the frontrunner but imo the only movie that still has a sliver of chance to upset is Belfast.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Also don't think it's been mentioned but Judi Dench has joined the 8-time nominee club. Pretty huge achievement, and probably what landed her the Supporting Actress nom for Belfast over Balfe (especially when nobody knows how many chances for a nomination she has left).

The studio tried to say the kid was the only lead in Belfast, but did all the voters buy it? Dench and Hinds are pretty obviously Supporting (and in roles that are total Oscar catnip), but I'm guessing some voters saw Balfe especially as a lead. She probably got votes in both categories, but not enough to put her over the top in either. Often, when there have been two Supporting Actress nominations from the same movie, there's yet another actress being pushed as a lead: The Favourite, The Help, Doubt, Chicago. And it's one thing in an awards campaign where the movie is a 10-piece ensemble or the sole lead is a George Clooney, to say "everyone else is supporting," but when it's an unknown child actor as the lead, maybe that doesn't work as easily.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

28 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Crash had a “good message” or whatever but it was still a shit movie. There’s plenty of good movies with good messages.

THIS.

"Don't Look Up" was a crap movie, but it got a BP noimnatin becuase Oscar voters want to show they are concerend with GLobal Warming.

If you are betting on the Oscars, though, The Power of the Dog is the one to put your money on.

Who would have think a Kiwi Western would be the heavy favorite for BP.

14 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I know stats aren't everything but mostly because of stats.

To win BP you need to be also nommed in director, screenplay, acting and editing. It shows you have enough support to truly contend. Most BP winners get all those noms, the ones that don't can miss just one of those fields but not more than one. ROTK and Parasite missed acting, Birdman missed editing, Green Book and several others missed director etc but every single one got at least 4/5. You have to go back to the early decades of the oscars to find a movie than won BP after missing both screenplay and editing (like WSS) or both acting and editing (like Licorice Pizza).

Power of the Dog went 5/5 and Belfast 4/5. Ofc Power is far and away the frontrunner but imo the only movie that still has a sliver of chance to upset is Belfast.

It's also hard for a remake to win. I think it was only done once, "Ben Hur" in 1959.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THIS.

"Don't Look Up" was a crap movie, but it got a BP noimnatin becuase Oscar voters want to show they are concerend with GLobal Warming.

A crappy movie with a good message is still a crappy movie. 

If you are betting on the Oscars, though, The Power of the Dog is the one to put your money on.

Who would have think a Kiwi Western would be the heavy favorite for BP.

• Like 1