filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

16 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

So who won? Guessing some big upset from the page count.

Nah. Nobody cares who won. Will Smith got on stage and slapped somebody. Reading through this thread, I couldn't even tell who won half of the awards as people were only talking about the slap. :hahaha:

Edited by Nerfy

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Apple spent all this money to get a movie nobody watched the Best Picture win only to get overshadowed by Will Smith. 

trended for 5 minutes and left. I wonder if it even charts on Nielsen when that comes out.

I wonder if it is Chris rock’s idea to joke about someone’a illness or someone in his team recommend this.

Now it is not only those categories that were announced outside of live telecast were ignored, the entire 23 categories and fan favourite was overshadowed 

5 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

TO YOU.

No it's not to him, it is a punk move slapping somebody. It's illegal to do that you do understand that don't you?

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Apple spent all this money to get a movie nobody watched the Best Picture win only to get overshadowed by Will Smith. 

To be fair, regardless of the winner, I think they’d be overshadowed by this.

What is the world coming to when comedians can't make jokes. No wonder comedy is dying, he says one funny thing and gets a slap. He took it on the chin better than Will Smith did who himself even found it funny until his Mrs gave him that look, guys needs to grow a pair

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

It's not a shocking revelation that the key to making jokes is that they need to be, you know, actually funny. Anyone who was watching the ceremony could tell that Rock's dig at Jada was bombing not only with them but with the whole crowd too. Doesn't excuse Smith's actions but comedy isn't as easy as it looks, you know.

According to the New York Post there's an investigation going on about what action they should take re: Smith including taking his Oscar away, but we all know that won't happen. After all, it's not like they've rescinded any of the Oscars that Harvey Weinstein or Roman Polanski won, and those people are actual monsters guilty of far worse than what Smith did. Most that will happen is they simply won't invite him back to fulfill the Best Actor winner duties of crowning the next Best Actress next year.

Could Will Smith lose his Oscar over Chris Rock slap? (nypost.com)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yes, which is why I said "technically, whatever".

But, how many folks get arrested for throwing punches in sport games?

How many folks get arrested for a slap thrown at a bar?  Or in a supermarket?

If we arrested ever Dick and Jane who slapped someone, our jails would be even more overcrowded than they already are.

I mean, c'mon now.

They do get kicked out, charged, and as a result of an agreement for charges getting dropped, barred from ever returning again.  I mean, Philly had a jail in their stadium just for this...

And this is with people who have no money so can't pay civil and criminal penalties...this should be 5 digits to the county authorities and 6 digits to the victim...