The Wild Eric

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Sucks how every time there's a huge box office recovery, the marketplace looks weak for a month. Yeah, Batman will make a zillion and Uncharted will hold fine but the next big release outside of Batman is a month away. March 18 could use a jolt, a new product. A24's X will open to typical A24 horror numbers (5m range or so). 

Comparatively, April is nearly loaded except for the 29th--Morbius, Sonic, Ambulance, Father Stu, Fantastic Beasts, The Bad Guys, The Northman.

Gosh, Disney really fudged up by removing Turning Red

Operation Fortune moving also pissed me off

Just now, Pinacolada said:

Operation Fortune moving also pissed me off

STX must be struggling/broke. Wouldn't be shocked if they dump and sell off to streaming to avoid a marketing campaign. The Gentlemen opened to like 10m, Wrath of Man did 8m. This would have done similar which seems.. ok? Better than nothing during a weekend Batman will be down to around 30m (most likely). 

• Like 2

I also think Universal kind of screwed Ambulance. It has a big marketing campaign with Super Bowl ads. It's a high-concept Michael Bay action film with a popular actor. Pain and Gain opened to 20. 13 Hours opened to 16m. This could have done between that but being sandwiched in between a Sony Marvel and a Harry Potter movie isn't exactly ideal, same weekend as Sonic. Yeah, different audiences but still.

March 18 could have been better. Or even April 29, weekend before Doctor Strange. 

• Like 1

The Bad Guys would’ve done well on March 18th/25th. Could’ve been like the other DWA hits of March (Dragon, Home, Boss Baby and MvA) but now it’ll do under 100m in its current slot

I can't believe Uncharted opened to $44m 3-day and $51m 4-day with it looking so lackluster. 

Imagine if they actually did the film true justice to the games - the sequel would be heading to a huge OW. I hope the sequel gets a better team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You know what to do, Marvel.

X-Men Gambit GIF by Marvel

Make a Logan-style Gambit movie set in the MCU. A rough, beautiful, emotional tale about a magician Mutant. Have Channing Tatum direct and star. Give him full control. And watch the box office (and perhaps even the nether regions of women cis and trans alike everywhere) explode.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I also think Universal kind of screwed Ambulance. It has a big marketing campaign with Super Bowl ads. It's a high-concept Michael Bay action film with a popular actor. Pain and Gain opened to 20. 13 Hours opened to 16m. This could have done between that but being sandwiched in between a Sony Marvel and a Harry Potter movie isn't exactly ideal, same weekend as Sonic. Yeah, different audiences but still.

50 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The Bad Guys would’ve done well on March 18th/25th. Could’ve been like the other DWA hits of March (Dragon, Home, Boss Baby and MvA) but now it’ll do under 100m in its current slot

March 18 could have been better. Or even April 29, weekend before Doctor Strange. 

It's funny considering how both movies are being released on mid/late March internationally (btw, Lost City is releasing on April on Latam)
eSfiADP.jpgPAYQOUp.jpegxtUnSOZ.jpeg31IIrXb.jpg

31 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

You know what to do, Marvel.

Make a Logan-style Gambit movie set in the MCU. A rough, beautiful, emotional tale about a magician Mutant. Have Channing Tatum direct and star. Give him full control. And watch the box office (and perhaps even the nether regions of women cis and trans alike everywhere) explode.

The Gambit movie might not happen, but I can see Sony greenlighting the cancelled MIB/Jump Street crossover now that Tatum once agian is bringing audiences to the theatres.

2 hours ago, Grebacio said:

The Gambit movie might not happen, but I can see Sony greenlighting the cancelled MIB/Jump Street crossover now that Tatum once agian is bringing audiences to the theatres.

I’d be so down for that. It’s such an intriguing idea, and Tatum was raving about the script they had in a recent interview with Frosty on collider. 

and besides, if it sucks then 

will smith mib GIF

Weird how Worst Person in the World hitting 1m is not receiving media attention. I've said before but the momentum for international breakouts is strong--Parallel Mothers, Drive My Car, Titane. Worst Person will come near Spencer's total and pass many American films such as Cmon Cmon and Red Rocket, as well as probably Last Night in Soho. The speciality market in general looks healthy again. Don't see Licorice Pizza reaching 20m unfortunately but it's at 15m making it 3rd highest grossing BP nomination (Dune, West Side Story) ahead of King Richard, Nightmare Alley, Belfast, Drive My Car. It'll also pass French Dispatch (16.1m), probably/possibly The Green Knight (17m). Only dramas ahead not mentioned are Respect (24m), American Underdog (26m), In the Heights (29m), Gucci (53m). Ironically, none are "original", instead based on true stories or in the case of In the Heights, a Broadway adaptation. 

Hopefully the success of Dog propels adult audiences further to return to theaters. Dog will pass all but Gucci by next weekend. (Yes, it's a flop and dramatically down from the first but Death on the Nile is at 25.9m and Marry Me is 17.3m).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

I can't believe Uncharted opened to $44m 3-day and $51m 4-day with it looking so lackluster. 

Imagine if they actually did the film true justice to the games - the sequel would be heading to a huge OW. I hope the sequel gets a better team.

Ruben Fleischer. His powah.

5 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’d be so down for that. It’s such an intriguing idea, and Tatum was raving about the script they had in a recent interview with Frosty on collider. 

and besides, if it sucks then 

will smith mib GIF

Is it a crossover with Will Smith or with Hemsworth. Don't know if Will would do it, but Hemsworth would

11 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think his “WILL” is a bit over the top. $9m worth of women have already been back to see other films on opening weekend. It’s just that they made up a slight majority here. 77% of Death on the Nile’s audience were over 25 and it only opened to $2m less for the 3 day. 

The Lost City will be the real test I think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think his “WILL” is a bit over the top. $9m worth of women have already been back to see other films on opening weekend. It’s just that they made up a slight majority here. 77% of Death on the Nile’s audience were over 25 and it only opened to $2m less for the 3 day. 

The Lost City will be the real test I think. 

What are you even saying? That women over 25 will just simply not return to theaters? Why? Death of Nile didn't have a strong woman draw as Channing Tatum, why would you even compare? The fact that they make up the slight majority here is the point of the tweet.

It's going to be a slow process. You can't simply look at the opening weekend and go from there. It's more about a gradual return of a demographic when there's an appealing content and/or draw to them. Yes, Marry Me opened under Dog but the demographic was 46% women over 35 (47% audience was women under 35) with women representing the opening 67%. Majority of Nile's box office was male, so your point is wrong. According to Deadline, Disney reports male leading at 51%, 49% females. Overall audiences that 77% over 25, 47% over 35 and 28% over 45. I’m told that this is a similar make-up to the older skewing Murder on the Orient Express.

Dog performed higher with older demographic than any adult-skewing drama during COVID--notably House of Gucci. That is some indication they've gotten over the fear of omicron and are slowly returning which was the point of tweet.

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What are you even saying? That women over 25 will just simply not return to theaters? Why? Death of Nile didn't have a strong woman draw as Channing Tatum, why would you even compare? The fact that they make up the slight majority here is the point of the tweet.

It's going to be a slow process. You can't simply look at the opening weekend and go from there. It's more about a gradual return of a demographic when there's an appealing content and/or draw to them. Yes, Marry Me opened under Dog but the demographic was 46% women over 35 (47% audience was women under 35) with women representing the opening 67%. Majority of Nile's box office was male, so your point is wrong. According to Deadline, Disney reports male leading at 51%, 49% females. Overall audiences that 77% over 25, 47% over 35 and 28% over 45. I’m told that this is a similar make-up to the older skewing Murder on the Orient Express.

Dog performed higher with older demographic than any adult-skewing drama during COVID--notably House of Gucci. That is some indication they've gotten over the fear of omicron and are slowly returning which was the point of tweet.

What are you even saying? 😂 I think you’ve completely misread my post, and the information. 

I’m not implying people aren’t coming back, I just think his tweet was a bit hyperbolic and dramatic. The amount of women over 25 that went to see Dog isn’t that much more than those who went to see Death on the Nile last week. Dog is a hit and a welcome, surprise one, but it’s not a sign of a gigantic leap in recovery for that audience. 

edit: and read again: I said 77% of Nile’s audience were over 25. Not that they were all women. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

I tend to agree with someone that said here in this thread that people aren't going because of COVID, but because of an irreparable change of habits caused by the pandemic and the simultaneous/short window releases.