YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

Demos were 61% guys, 39% women with 32% under 17, and 46% between 18-34 years old. Diversity demos showed a strong turnout among Latino and Hispanic audiences of 38%, Caucasian at 29%, 20% Black and 13% Asian/other. Sonic was great everywhere, but showed power on the coasts and in the South. PLFs by Saturday AM drove 22% of ticket sales. EntTelligence showed also this AM, 2.1M moviegoers watched the sequel. On Friday, approximately 31% of the audience came before 5PM, 46% came during the 5PM to 8PM dayparts, and 23% of patrons showed up after 8PM.  By comparison, Encanto had over 83% of their audience see the film before 8PM on opening day. Average ticket price for Sonic 2 was $11.95.

Not sure I like these demographics for Sonic 2 as it seems less children than anticipated.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Demos were 61% guys, 39% women with 32% under 17, and 46% between 18-34 years old. Diversity demos showed a strong turnout among Latino and Hispanic audiences of 38%, Caucasian at 29%, 20% Black and 13% Asian/other. Sonic was great everywhere, but showed power on the coasts and in the South. PLFs by Saturday AM drove 22% of ticket sales. EntTelligence showed also this AM, 2.1M moviegoers watched the sequel. On Friday, approximately 31% of the audience came before 5PM, 46% came during the 5PM to 8PM dayparts, and 23% of patrons showed up after 8PM.  By comparison, Encanto had over 83% of their audience see the film before 8PM on opening day. Average ticket price for Sonic 2 was $11.95.

Not sure I like these demographics for Sonic 2 as it seems less children than anticipated.

I can only speculate, but i think it is just alot of has to do with either some parents delaying seeing the movie until Easter or the fact the second movie panders a bit to those who grew up with the Genesis games more and the 2nd movie's growth comes from those who were skeptical of the first movie.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

How is this compared to FB2 in the same markets? Any news about that?

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/30072-fantastic-beasts-the-secrets-of-dumbledore-os-thread/

I don't know how to quote from other threads, but based on what someone complied in the International thread, and if I interpreted the numbers right, FB2 did 91m in the same markets.

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

I can only speculate, but i think it is just alot of has to do with either some parents delaying seeing the movie until Easter or the fact the second movie panders a bit to those who grew up with the Genesis games more and the 2nd movie's growth comes from those who were skeptical of the first movie.

Even then Pikachu did better in the kids department, that doesn’t bode well for legs as it is hinting more towards a CBM like run than a family film.

55 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Isn't Mario more popular than Sonic? At least here in Brazil I would say Mario is the more popular one and by a wide margin.

It isn't about the brand popularity, but more how well it translates to screen. 

Not to make everything about DC vs Marvel, but, it's along the lines of people believing that if an Avengers team up movie made so much money, then a Justice League would certainly make more. 

I think there's always been a lot of uncertainty on how to translate Mario to film. The early 90s version definitely wasn't the way to go. The template used by Sonic wouldn't work (bringing the characters into our world, when Mario is supposed to be the outsider in a weirder mushroom world, as best as we can tell). 

We still don't have much to go on, on how Illumination is going to approach it, but, they do seem like they may be the best suited to find the formula, but, I think there's still a big chance it doesn't connect. If it does though, sky's the limit, and people will wonder why it took so long to finally do it. 

Edited by vafrow
Typo
  • Like 3

These two teenage boys came in to the theatre last night to watch Morbius and on their way in asked if we had an extra poster they could have. They were definitely only watching the movie for the lolz and wanted the poster for the same reason.

”oh, you know, I just think there’s a perfect spot in my room to cement this legendary movie. Can go right next to my Suicide Squad and House of Gucci posters.”

Now imagine their surprise when I came out of the back and actually gave them one :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Did anyone actually ever asked for a Morbius movie.

Doesn't matter if anyone ever asked it or not. I'm sure nobody ever asked for a Peacemaker show and it was still popular and well liked.

If the products are good, they will be welcomed despite if somebody asked for them or not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Bad showing for Fantastic Beasts in those markets. Good. Let it burn.

It kinda serves them right. Throwing Depp under the bus and blamed FB2's underperformance 100% on him.

Was he box-office poison by then? Absolutely. But putting it squarely on him instead of reassessing everything internally was atrocious.

They deserve this.

Edited by filmnerdjamie