YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

3 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

And you still are hailing it as the pinnacle of "auteur" cinema for whatever reason 

Serious question: Did Robert Eggers hurt your family or something?

The Northman isn’t an easy sell, the $12m is good until you see the budget. That’s their own fault. Why they ever expected it to break even is beyond me. 

That’s excellent for EEAAO. Still waiting to be able to see it, 13th May here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nikostar said:

Who the hell gave The Northman a budget between 50 to 90 million in post Covid times. It’s like they wanted it to fail. 

no one knew how fucked the theatrical landscape would be in August 2020 when they began filming. but either way, the movie should probably have a long post-theatrical shelf life and it’s nice that it got made with the budget that was required of it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nikostar said:

Who the hell gave The Northman a budget between 50 to 90 million in post Covid times. It’s like they wanted it to fail. 

The movie was greenlit in 2019, and the studio was decent enough to not shut down the whole thing after the entire pre production was done.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Then when we can have consistent 100m weekend total like pre-pandemic time?

Probably not til 2023. The summer should be consistent as should the November/December period but semi-consistency won’t be back until 2023.

• Like 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Then when we can have consistent 100m weekend total like pre-pandemic time?

I doubt it will be this year, but having consistently good movies dropping is needed for that to happen. 

And let's be honest, most of the movies being released these days was very meh / bad or they're good but don't have enough appeal to bring millions to theaters. 

The latest cases are hard because it passes through habits of consuming, but studios must work on the bad expensive movies they drop. They can't keep spending +100M to release Morbius, FB3, Moonfall etc. It's appealing movies on the paper but tickets are more expensive every year, release movies with appeal that are at least decent or people won't pay for it when they can watch it 30 days later on streaming.

24 minutes ago, budice said:

The Trilogy is complete.  Bonus Multiplier 3X.

FRHyJq9VUAAfYid?format=jpg&name=small

Wouldn't this make more sense to have Fantastic Beasts on the headstone?  

It's not like Northman was an intended franchise-starter.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I doubt it will be this year, but having consistently good movies dropping is needed for that to happen. 

And let's be honest, most of the movies being released these days was very meh / bad or they're good but don't have enough appeal to bring millions to theaters. 

The latest cases are hard because it passes through habits of consuming, but studios must work on the bad expensive movies they drop. They can't keep spending +100M to release Morbius, FB3, Moonfall etc. It's appealing movies on the paper but tickets are more expensive every year, release movies with appeal that are at least decent or people won't pay for it when they can watch it 30 days later on streaming.

Until next year? That is too sluggish. We only had 4 weekend in 2018 and 3 weekend in 2019 fall below 100m of overall gross, in fact, out of  52 weekend, 2018 had 24 weekend passing 150m and 17 weekend in 2019. I believe we barely halfway to the full recovery.

1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

And you still are hailing it as the pinnacle of "auteur" cinema for whatever reason 

You signed into here and are having a meltdown over things that are not true. You're spending your Sunday by projecting insecurities and falsehoods. Why lie?

Also, aren't you XavierSmart and PenguinOnIce?

All I said was it makes sense why a director like Eggers was given a large budget for a genre that's had recent hits. The bickering over the logistics was just silly. It's funny, the "haters" are so convinced of this auteur cult... if such a thing existed why aren't these movies making more money? lol

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

Lots of hot takes today.

I'm no fan of Eggers (The Lighthouse was overrated af and about nothing) but The Northman is solid. It lacks likable characters that attracted fans to Vikings and Last Kingdom and I suspect that aviliablilty and popualrity of these shows (and Vikings spin-off) made people less eager to check this out. If you can scretch Viking itch for free (passworld sharing) or for the price of subscription, you'll be less likely to check an artistic take on the genre at the cinema where risk of covid still lurks. 

However, I'm pretty damn pissed at international numbers. At least Europe should have shown some support despite having access to Viking shows via Netflix like the rest of the world. WTF happened?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Lots of hot takes today.

I'm no fan of Eggers (The Lighthouse was overrated af and about nothing) but The Northman is solid. It lacks likable characters that attracted fans to Vikings and Last Kingdom and I suspect that aviliablilty and popualrity of these shows (and Vikings spin-off) made people less eager to check this out. If you can scretch Viking itch for free (passworld sharing) or for the price of subscription, you'll be less likely to check an artistic take on the genre at the cinema where risk of covid still lurks. 

However, I'm pretty damn pissed at international numbers. At least Europe should have shown some support despite having access to Viking shows via Netflix like the rest of the world. WTF happened?

Well, The Last Kingdom shit the bed in its final season, I quit on episode 6 I think.   And that new one Vikings of Valhalla is godawful and aggressively inauthentic, I was done after 2 episodes.

I'm seeing the Northman next week and I hope its some good crazy shit.

Edited by Ozymandias

my dad watches both the last kingdom and vikings. he did go see northman and his review "too dark", didn't like that nicole kidman was in it, did like how straight forward it was "no unnecessary scenes" according to him.