Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Are you talking OW or total gross? The former has a few examples, but far less in the latter, because what happens - as with Dark Knight, also Pirates - is that the first film opens soft, but has great WOM/legs, and creates massive anticipation for sequels, though with much weaker legs after OW

Iron Man 1 ($98) to 2 ($128), or 2001 Spider-Man ($114) to 3 ($151) are some examples of the OW increases besides DK

TDK opened to more than double of Batman Begins while being a normal sequel without a shared universe to give a lot of context to it, I think it is indeed the only "'true' impressive sequel increase number" in the SH genre. 

26 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

You think that's reasonable? That's really cute of you, sweetheart.

I do because it is, yes. Now let’s not start a condescending back and forth about this, we’ve had enough crap in the thread already.

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I like Fallen Kingdom. I thought it was dumb as hell, but that's what makes it fun.

Its stupid, but it knows it and thats why it works.

12 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

TDK opened to more than double of Batman Begins while being a normal sequel without a shared universe to give a lot of context to it, I think it is indeed the only "'true' impressive sequel increase number" in the SH genre. 

The pure FSS number, TDK actually more than tripled. It was nearly 2.5x the 5 day number. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't worry, the movie adaptation is on the way.

I doubt Bob's Burgers is doing much tbh. The show was always a cult hit at best, and Disney seems to be dumping it (in large part because it's one of the last projects from the Fox regime finally seeing the light of day). If it makes much more than $40M total (and that's being generous) I'll be impressed.

I was joking. I love the show and looking forward to the movie. But nobody is expecting blockbuster numbers. But I could see it surprise to the tune of $40M-$50M.

Just now, Flamengo81 said:

But DK was also a major confluence of events, with a highly anticipated sequel where also one of the main actors **died** before the release (see also Furious 7). And to top it off, film was brilliant, so WOM brought in even more people after the massive opening weekend (also Batman Begins was a Wed release, made $73M by Sunday)

The problem with your premise of your question is that CBMs don’t get made without some level of built-in fan base, or part of a larger universe, so the OW baseline is high enough already that there isn’t a whole lot of room to grow from that for sequels - it’s more common in less well known/fanboy IPs, again something like Pirates. 

Also Guardians went $94 —> $146, Thor was $65–>$85–>$122, but like Dr Strange, driven in large part by the broader MCU story 

• Like 1

Gotg2 had quite a nice ow bump, TWS too. TA was in between for TWS but not much avengers affect to speak of for gotg. Their best OW sequel increase fueled by massive 1st entry goodwill rather than any crossover value added elements. 

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

But DK was also a major confluence of events, with a highly anticipated sequel where also one of the main actors **died** before the release (see also Furious 7). And to top it off, film was brilliant, so WOM brought in even more people after the massive opening weekend (also Batman Begins was a Wed release, made $73M by Sunday)

The problem with your premise of your question is that CBMs don’t get made without some level of built-in fan base, or part of a larger universe, so the OW baseline is high enough already that there isn’t a whole lot of room to grow from that for sequels - it’s more common in less well known/fanboy IPs, again something like Pirates. 

Also Guardians went $94 —> $146, Thor was $65–>$85–>$122, but like Dr Strange, driven in large part by the broader MCU story 

TDKR did also increase though, given it OW was cut due to the shooting. When I say True I mean self contained stories. There can be a case for GOTG2, Thor2 and TWS.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

Gotg2 had quite a nice ow bump, TWS too. TA was in between for TWS but not much avengers affect to speak of for gotg. Their best OW sequel increase fueled by massive 1st entry goodwill rather than any crossover value added elements. 

Not to mention the $357m elephant in the room. 

Is the “problem” with phase 4 maybe that Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness all did nothing to move a bigger overall story along? 

We knew Avengers was coming and its sequels. These all seem like stand alone films or direct sequels, rather than building to something specific. 

Hoping it can pass $200m, that should quieten certain folks down for a bit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Doctor Strange has a 75 on RT with 305 reviews. Right on the cusp of Certified Fresh. I guess RT has waited for so long to give it certified fresh because they think it might go below the threshold. Maybe they got PTSD from Wonder Woman 1984

Probably being more cautious. These big films can be unpredictable and there’s an element of “bandwagon jumping” for the late reviews. See Wonder Woman 1984’s top critics score: 71%.

Dr Strange’s is 62% currently. So yeh I’d agree they’re being cautious before certifying it. 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Is the “problem” with phase 4 maybe that Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness all did nothing to move a bigger overall story along? 

I think the problem with something like Eternals or Multiverse of Madness is that it feels like the Universe is too big now. There's so many moving parts and it's a little exhausting. It feels like expansion for the sake of expansion. I actually like Black Widow because it's self contained, but I guess I'm in the minority of that.

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Probably being more cautious. These big films can be unpredictable and there’s an element of “bandwagon jumping” for the late reviews. See Wonder Woman 1984’s top critics score: 71%.

This wouldn't be such a big problem if they just re-tightened their qualifications for "certified critics." Lowering the qualifications ruined them imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nerfy said:

Not to mention the $357m elephant in the room. 

39% not that remarkable as a sequel OW increase, the part that marks it funny is the previous being a 1 year old ow record holder.

Weird thing about Multiverse of Madness is that an MCU skeptic I didn't quite love it, but I kinda imagine that the regular MCU fan also fucking hated it, so it's kind of in a no mans land. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Dr Strange’s is 62% currently. So yeh I’d agree they’re being cautious before certifying it. 

Yes.

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I think the problem with something like Eternals or Multiverse of Madness is that it feels like the Universe is too big now. There's so many moving parts and it's a little exhausting. It feels like expansion for the sake of expansion. I actually like Black Widow because it's self contained, but I guess I'm in the minority of that.

This wouldn't be such a big problem if they just re-tightened their qualifications for "certified critics." Lowering the qualifications ruined them imo.

Big time yes! 

I don’t even care about reviews that much but some of the people who are allowed to be certified on RT is insane.