Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

Just now, snarkmachine said:

This is really based on nothing more than anecdotal experience, but this new batch of Marvel leads hasn't really engaged the fans like the OG Avengers did. Iron Man and Cap were beloved. Captain Marvel, Strange, Ant-man and Shang-chi (not to mention Eternals) just haven't been met with the same affection IMO, even if they did strong BO numbers.

T'Challa and Spidey are the exceptions but Chadwick's gone. I don't know if it's a casting thing or a reflection of the movies, but I think they need to be very careful about the F4 movie. They can't rely on Spidey alone to be the heart of the MCU. 

Oh TOTALLY. Also said this before but MCU is struggling to introduce interesting characters. Most are uninteresting/annoying. 

There's nothing that even comes slightly close to Steve and Tony. 

For example, MCU is going towards a Young Avengers movie. Obviously. 

But... who will care? Billy and Tommy? Iron Patriot? Kate Bishop? America Chavez? Ironheart? 

Box Office: ‘Doctor Strange 2’ Fires Up With $36 Million In Previews – Deadline

SATURDAY LATE PM: Industry estimates see Disney/Marvel’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness coming in with an estimated $58.75M Saturday, which is 35% off from the pic’s opening day of $90M. Many believe that the sequel’s opening is between $190M-$194M. That’s a great kickoff to summer and the best opening for a Disney movie during the pandemic. With that range, Doctor Strange 2 will land between the 9th to 11th biggest domestic opening of all-time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

This is really based on nothing more than anecdotal experience, but this new batch of Marvel leads hasn't really engaged the fans like the OG Avengers did. Iron Man and Cap were beloved. Captain Marvel, Strange, Ant-man and Shang-chi (not to mention Eternals) just haven't been met with the same affection IMO, even if they did strong BO numbers.

T'Challa and Spidey are the exceptions but Chadwick's gone. I don't know if it's a casting thing or a reflection of the movies, but I think they need to be very careful about the F4 movie. They can't rely on Spidey alone to be the heart of the MCU. 

Oddly enough, I genuinely think Wanda/Scarlet Witch is that popular (or well on her way to being so).

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Bcumberbatch has the charisma of a potato. He looks like he's not enjoying it. I'm sure the money is good, but he looks uncomfortable, he's not selling it lol

I really liked him in IW and NWH (especially the scene where he says goodbye to Peter), but he was flat on his own in MoM.

I've seen people say he'll be the new lead for the Avengers now that Iron Man is gone but I just don't see it. I don't see fans that invested in him. He'll probably be the key plot driver for the Avengers moving forward, but the heart is just not there. 

8 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

Notice how I never said MCU was going to be dead forever. I know for a fact the MCU will continue long after I'm dead.

But you dared suggest that the MCU might not be putting out the best quality products. That's enough for the Marvel defense squad (who will then claim they will defend all franchises not just Marvel - which is basically lying to themselves) to jump on your comments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 3

8 minutes ago, MaverickXXR said:

Young Avengers 
$240M OW

True Avengers
$300M OW

Do you ever think a Justice league movie could open to one of those ? I think it could but depends on the set up.

Edited by SupermanLego

2 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Oddly enough, I genuinely think Wanda/Scarlet Witch is that popular (or well on her way to being so).

I think Wandavision being essentially a four-hour character study really helped people invest in her character, but it remains to be seen if that can be carried forward into film. Fans certainly like her far more than Strange though, which kind of speaks to the problem I'm talking about. 

1 minute ago, snarkmachine said:

I really liked him in IW and NWH (especially the scene where he says goodbye to Peter), but he was flat on his own in MoM.

I get the feeling that MoM was reshot like at least 50%. It's hard to act good when you and the director are clueless about what's going on, so i give him a break for MoM.  He's not a bad actor, but he's lacking that spark. IMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaverickXXR said:

Sure, if DC built it up properly but I've seen no indication from them that they're capable of that. 

Tbh I can see a batman/joker movie opening 200m+ before a JL movies does lol

Edited by SupermanLego
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

But you dared suggest that the MCU might not be putting out the best quality products. That's enough for the Marvel defense squad (who will then claim they will defend all franchises not just Marvel - which is basically lying to themselves) to jump on your comments.

I never said that. Like I said, if every single show and movie was amazing, and I loved every single one of them, I would still get burnt out. The same thing every week will get boring and tiring, at least for me. But if the fans are adamant that the masses will totally never get sick of it and every movie will make a bajillion dollars from now until the end of time, I guess I'm the idiot.

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I get the feeling that MoM was reshot like at least 50%. It's hard to act good when you and the director are clueless about what's going on, so i give him a break for MoM.  He's not a bad actor, but he's lacking that spark. IMO

He's lacking the spark as a lead. At least as this partcular character. He is fine as a supporting player (IW was his best showing to date) but just low energy when he headlines a DS movie. 

IMO, the biggest problem with Strange is that he is supposed to be a Stark-like character - arrogant, sarcastic but heart of gold - yet there's no charm and self-deprication that made Stark such a beloved icon. Moreover, big part of Stark appeal also came from his banter with another beloved icon, Cap, a straight man to his more flamboyant, colorful one. Strange doesn't have anyone like that to spar with. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Agreed. Everyone I know has been raving about/were excited about Wanda in this film, not so much Strange sadly (and also even with how the story progressed in the movie) Honestly think she is the most popular behind the OG Avengers currently. 

I went into the movie with expectations it would be a total disaster like some posters here make it sound like, but it was a super fun ride with some issues admittedly, but a fun ride nonetheless, def would rank it among the upper half of the MCU entries personally. Would watch again, too.