Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We'll see what Top Gun's legs are like the next few weeks.

As for the other two, I guess Jurassic World is opening about $15-20M higher than the last one. Definitely doesn't feel like the hype is on the same level as it was in 2015. Lightyear will probably open with the same numbers as Toy Story 4 did.

I disagree here. Back in 2015, even days before JW opened ... there was practically no "hype". If you go back to those threads, you would see that the most optimistic predictions for it where in the 120M OW region except for the lunatic @excel1.

Thats why its opening was so suprising and epic because nobody saw it coming. I would honestly say the hype for Dominion is a lot bigger right now (atleast online) than it ever was for JW. Ofc that doesnt have to mean that it will also approach 200M OW even though i believe in divine justice and thus in 210M+ OW, but yeah, i see a lot more hype among fans for it than for either JW or FK back in 2015/18.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Ambulance had three editors. No wonder! Each one would have had to go into rehab for the amount of work they had to do for that movie.

It is Michael Bay on extra steroids.  Actually really enjoyed it. The most over-produced movie for what it was I think I’ve ever seen. But that ambition in the insanity and way it was put together - mind blowing.  People think Tom Cruise is crazy?! Bay is an absolute mad man. 

On the Transformers, at least, Bay had a team of like 20 editors working on various sequences separately and then would run them by him.  Most major Hollywood pictures these days I think have multiple editors, but it is probably a bit rare for three names to actually be credited up front, yes, if that's the case here!  (Haven't seen it.) 

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

TGM took all of DS2's PLF screens hence the large hit.

MoM has the worst Memorial eve hold in recent years, compared to other late-Apr/early-May MCU films.

2015: AoU, -2.9%

2016: CW -4.1% 

2017: GOTG2 -3%

2018: IW +1.7%

2019: EG +0.3%

2022: MoM -12.4%

That was no surprise why Disney estimate MoM to drop only 4% on Memorial eve based on historical trend. This alone tells us it is true that holiday bump in the post-pandemic era are muted somehow. First thing come to my mind was because of shorter window. Family that tend to come out during holiday choose to wait a bit longer since the incentive for them to wait for free Disney+ is indeed significant.  

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

MoM has the worst Memorial eve hold in recent years, compared to other late-Apr/early-May MCU films.

2015: AoU, -2.9%

2016: CW -4.1% 

2017: GOTG2 -3%

2018: IW +1.7%

2019: EG +0.3%

2022: MoM -12.4%

That was no surprise why Disney estimate MoM to drop only 4% on Memorial eve based on historical trend. This alone tells us it is true that holiday bump in the post-pandemic era are muted somehow. First thing come to my mind was because of shorter window. Family that tend to come out during holiday choose to wait a bit longer since the incentive for them to wait for free Disney+ is indeed significant.  

Familys are saving all their money for Jurassic World and to a much, much lower extent Lightyear :Venom:

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

One Tom Cruise hit that always floors me is The Firm. This is a really long legal thriller yet it got a prime 4th of July  weekend release date and its  gross adjusts to well over 300m today. Prime example of how important Star power was 

MV5BNDMzNDEwM2EtN2I4YS00NjRjLTk5ZTAtZTg5

John Grisham novels were huge in the 90s, Hollywood really cranked out the adaptations and people were just over it after a few years. The Firm was the biggest of all though A Time to Kill and The Pelican Brief also adjust to totals impossible to imagine now.

So TGM will have the weekend record anyway after all that fuss, lol.

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Top 5 Tom Cruise movies...

Edge of Tomorrow 

Mission Impossible Fallout

Vanilla Sky

Legend

The Firm

I haven't seen TGM.

One Cruise film that is underrated/a bit forgotten imo is Collateral (2004). Tom as the hitman villain and Jamie Foxx as the taxi driver make for a very compelling and entertaining duo and film. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Edge of Tomorrow 

Vanilla Sky

Legend

The Firm

I haven't seen TGM.

My Tom Cruise top list would for sure (also) content The Last Samurai, Rain Man and Jack Reacher.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

as did the news that repeat viewings can be curtailed for many due to it hitting Disney+ in a few weeks. Word gets out quick.  Let alone those that hadn’t got round to seeing it yet being told it’s on their tv for free before the end of June. 

I keep seeing people making these arguments, and I do agree there's a significant portion of audiences who are just waiting for it to be free on streaming, but I still don't get why a "leaked" date for Disney Plus will hurt repeat viewings. The only people who know DS2's Disney+ launch date (and it's still not confirmed by Disney, so who knows if it's correct) are movie nerds like us who read press releases and go on movie sites. Casual fans and families don't look up this kind of stuff and won't have a clue it's on Disney+ until a couple days before it comes out. Even Encanto, which had an already announced Disney+ date, none of the ads or marketing for the normies mentioned Disney+ until a few days before Christmas.

I get everybody here hates streaming, but is it really not hard to believe a Marvel movie with mixed reception, even from people who like the film, just isn't having good WOM and is dealing with heavy competition from a popular movie?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Edge of Tomorrow 

Vanilla Sky

Legend

The Firm

I haven't seen TGM.

I haven't seen Legend in like 20 years and I don't see it streaming anywhere, even on TubiTV or Pluto.  All I remember is Tim Curry hamming it up and it being visually incredible like the dress scene.

Christ, looking into it a bit just now there appears to be multiple cuts of that movie too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

I keep seeing people making these arguments, and I do agree there's a significant portion of audiences who are just waiting for it to be free on streaming, but I still don't get why a "leaked" date for Disney Plus will hurt repeat viewings. The only people who know DS2's Disney+ launch date (and it's still not confirmed by Disney, so who knows if it's correct) are movie nerds like us who read press releases and go on movie sites. Casual fans and families don't look up this kind of stuff and won't have a clue it's on Disney+ until a couple days before it comes out. Even Encanto, which had an already announced Disney+ date, none of the ads or marketing for the normies mentioned Disney+ until a few days before Christmas.

I get everybody here hates streaming, but is it really not hard to believe a Marvel movie with mixed reception, even from people who like the film, just isn't having good WOM and is dealing with heavy competition from a popular movie?

I’m just speculating it’s played a little part, that’s all. Never underestimate how quickly word gets out. Particularly when it comes to fanboy franchises that are social media darlings.