EmpireCity

Top Gun Maverick Weekdays Thread | 15.8m Tue, 14.8m Wed, 14.5m Thurs, ??m Fri

29 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

That 55M option gotta be a joke.

Also, "Danger Zone Denizens" is kind of cringe, idk. Reminds me of the Keith days at BOM.

2 hours ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Best second weekend for  non-cbm, non star wars films ever:

1. Jurassic World - $106.59M

2. Beauty and the Beast - $90.43M

3. Frozen 2 - $85.98M

4. The Lion King - $76.62M

5. Avatar - $75.62M

6. The Hunger Games: CF - $74.18M

7. Finding Dory - $72.96M

8. Shrek 2 - $72.17M

9. Alice in Wonderland - $62.71M

10. PotC: DMC - $62.35M

Would be absolutely ecstatic if TGM can rank 4th. 

Damn, crazy to think that the top 30 2nd weekends (in wide release) are 11x MCU, 4x SW, 2x Spidey, 2x Batman and the Incredibles 2. So half are (live action) cbm.

Thinking above Alice is 99.99% certain. Above TLK maybe 50:50. Above Frozen 2 is unlikely though. But maybe, it can sneak past both Frozen 2 and B&tB.

To get into the Top 10 all time it needs to beat Incredibles 2 (80.35m).

Getting above B&tB would mean #7, #6 is unreachable though (Avengers with 103m).

I was sooooo off, thought no one would really care when it gets released and it did what I thought it would in total in its first 5 days

Edited by Taruseth

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

38% of the real opening weekend gross were from IMAX/PLF premium screen. This means $40m of the gross will likely drop very minimal (could be less than 20%). Assuming the remaining $67m gross from standard screen drop by half, this will add up to at least $65m 2nd weekend. 

This will be the most impressive 2nd weekend hold since post-pandemic era! Considering its inflated opening weekend and already huge opening number.   

Believe this is 100% the correct way to view TG2, basically split between the PLF portion with unmet demand that is then cascading into future days, and the non-PLF section which still has very good WOM and can hold well in its own right. However, because the PLF share has much less room to grow, do think we're going to continue to see a much flatter trajectory here, outside the norm for comps, for both Thur -->Fri and Fri -->Sat (and prob Sat-->Sun too)

Batman held -35% from opening Sat to 2nd Sat with good WOM but without the big PLF draw, and Free Guy was -25% Sat/Sat, but from a much lower starting point. A $30M second Sat (-21%) is plausible given the run to this point, which would probably be mid-$70s second weekend, but more of a stretch to get it to $80M and above

• Like 1

Here in the Northeast, I interact with customers all day and this movie has come up so much this week. Those who have seen it, those who are going to see it. It's definitely permeated the public to become a genuine event. This all would've been exciting before Covid but it feels like a miracle in 2022.  

• Like 7

Top Gun Maverick and Stranger Things 4 have both really turned into huge events this week. 

A Kate Bush song from 1985 played in Stranger Things is being streamed 8m times a day worldwide this week and is number #1 on the streaming platforms here in the UK. 

TGM’s second Wednesday was bigger than its opening Wednesday. 

They’ve both really nailed something. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Believe this is 100% the correct way to view TG2, basically split between the PLF portion with unmet demand that is then cascading into future days, and the non-PLF section which still has very good WOM and can hold well in its own right. However, because the PLF share has much less room to grow, do think we're going to continue to see a much flatter trajectory here, outside the norm for comps, for both Thur -->Fri and Fri -->Sat (and prob Sat-->Sun too)

Batman held -35% from opening Sat to 2nd Sat with good WOM but without the big PLF draw, and Free Guy was -25% Sat/Sat, but from a much lower starting point. A $30M second Sat (-21%) is plausible given the run to this point, which would probably be mid-$70s second weekend, but more of a stretch to get it to $80M and above

+60 +35 -20 or so?

9 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Does TG2 doing well give an opening that a lot of people will come out for Keatons batman ??, It seem oldies will come out given it's the right nostalgia.

Doubt it since Keaton is just a side character in The Flash whereas Tom Cruise is still the main driving force of this film 

3 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Doubt it since Keaton is just a side character in The Flash whereas Tom Cruise is still the main driving force of this film 

Tbf if DC market him heavily it would work. I'm sure his role is the second biggest after flash, so still big.

2 hours ago, Show Me The Legion said:

+60 +35 -20 or so?

Something in that range, though I won’t be surprised if the Sat increase is even lower, given both the age skew boosting Fri daytime like it has during the week, and lack of PLF supply limiting growth demand may otherwise warrant 

Though we may reach a point where people say screw it and just opt for the standard version rather than try again 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

No clue how big his role is in the film, but seems clear that Keaton is going to be heavily featured in the marketing.

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Can't report very accurate yet, but at this point looking either down slightly, flat or up slightly.  Range of $14.1m worst case and $15.1m best case.  Should land right in that area.  

Even the worst case is crazy strong number. I feel at worst it should do like 50% increase to ~ 21m friday and high 60s weekend. Best case I dont even want to think until we have a friday number. 

@Shawn Are you still sticking to 57m 2nd weekend for TGM?

If TGM follow the worst holds of the previous $100M+ opening Memorial Day weekend openers after $14.1M on THU:

FRI - $25.89M (+83.6% of Solo)

SAT - $31.27M (+20.8% of The Hangover Part II)

SUN - $19.36M (-38.1% of The Hangover Part II)

2nd WKN - $76.52M (-39.6%)

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 2