EmpireCity

Top Gun Maverick Weekdays Thread | 15.8m Tue, 14.8m Wed, 14.5m Thurs, ??m Fri

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont know. If there is a recession then customer spending tanks and inflation cools down. But we have seen no signs of inflation being down. So I dont see how we can be in a recession and with high inflation. I see most customers still spending and all airports are extremely busy with so many folks traveling(vacation/business travel). 

Last quarter GDP did go down. That was due to quarter on quarter comp with previous one where ginormous amount of growth happened and we saw reduction in exports, govt spending and investments. Consumer spending was still up even last quarter. Let us see where things stand this quarter. 

The 70's called...it usually goes hand in hand with energy shocks, which is what we have now...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

At this point, these sky-high ticket prices will scare away many people from watching movies in theaters. And in many other cases, it will make people choose now between the movie(s) they can afford to see in a month. Could be that Top Gun breaking out so much will cause Dominion to suffer because of it and then Lightyear could suffer from the family crowd maybe choosing between it and Dominion.

Sky high as in they won’t go and see Jurassic World because it’s a dollar or two more than they thought it would be? Nah. They’re going to the movie regardless.  People weighing up Lightyear vs Dominion over a couple of bucks is minimal stuff. 

I still think Jurassic is going to do over $200 million OW. Disastrous reviews would change things, but I can’t see it. People will want to see how it ends without spoilers. That opening weekend is going to be huge. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

DS2 might have a little more left in the tank than it seemed? 1.81m seems pretty good. Civil War did 28m more off of 1.55m and AoU did 42m more off of 1.95m. If D+ doesn’t kill it’s legs it could go >415

• Like 1

I do wonder what's Cruise's next move once he's completed the final two Mission Impossible films. I am hoping he takes a break from action films and do something different, perhaps a drama because he proved years ago with Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men and The Firm that he is capable of a great dramatic performance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do wonder what's Cruise's next move once he's completed the final two Mission Impossible films. I am hoping he takes a break from action films and do something different, perhaps a drama because he proved years ago with Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men and The Firm that he is capable of a great dramatic performance.

The movie where he goes to space

3 hours ago, Djsoke said:

DS2 might have a little more left in the tank than it seemed? 1.81m seems pretty good. Civil War did 28m more off of 1.55m and AoU did 42m more off of 1.95m. If D+ doesn’t kill it’s legs it could go >415

It seems like DS2 does better on weekdays vs weekends compared to other Marvel movies.  I think its because a lot of families that normally see Marvel movies are skipping it due to it not being kid friendly.  Regardless, it is on track to pass 400M before the VOD release. 

Edited by IceFire9yt

1 hour ago, BruiseCruise said:

The movie where he goes to space

That was Oblivion, which I just watched tonight and which surprisingly, he carries really well again.  Not as good as Top Gun Maverick, but it's as good as it can be b/c Cruise is in it...it's again almost a single lead movie and I liked it - B+/B - just too much plot to go higher...

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That was Oblivion, which I just watched tonight and which surprisingly, he carries really well again.  Not as good as Top Gun Maverick, but it's as good as it can be b/c Cruise is in it...it's again almost a single lead movie and I liked it - B+/B - just too much plot to go higher...

They didn't mean going to space in the movie, but actually filming in Space.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/20/tom-cruise-movie-producers-sign-axiom-deal-for-space-production-studio.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think they mean the Doug Liman/Cruise collaboration upcoming set in space at the International Space Station. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wildphantom said:

People will want to see how it ends without spoilers. That opening weekend is going to be huge. 

People don't care enough about the characters of the Jurassic World movies to care about spoilers. You think anyone even knows what the plot of the movie is? They just want to see some dinosaur action. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

People don't care enough about the characters of the Jurassic World movies to care about spoilers. You think anyone even knows what the plot of the movie is? They just want to see some dinosaur action. 

I think they care how they’re going to wrap it up now dinosaurs are on mainland, yeah. I wouldn’t want that spoilt in the slightest. 

Biggest Non-holiday WED (non-opener)

1. Endgame - $25.25M (non-summer)
2. Jurassic World - $19.89M
3. Incredibles 2 - $19.7M
4. TDK - $18.4M
5. Finding Dory - $18M 

7. Infinity War - $16.9M (non-Summer)
8. Black Panther - $14.7M (non-Summer)
8/9. Top Gun: Maverick - $14.5M+

• Like 7
  • Astonished 4

Could these insane weekday holds lead to a weaker Friday jump? Weve seen this with other films this year as well. So i would be cautious with 70M+ Expectations for the weekend.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Could these insane weekday holds lead to a weaker Friday jump? Weve seen this with other films this year as well. So i would be cautious with 70M+ Expectations for the weekend.

Even with really weak jumps/holds feel like 65m+ is extremely likely.