EmpireCity

Top Gun Maverick Weekdays Thread | 15.8m Tue, 14.8m Wed, 14.5m Thurs, ??m Fri

38 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

We're already seeing a consumer collapse  - look at Amazon's latest results as one major indicator. We'll see higher peaks, lower troughs. 

The stage is set. 

Movies are still fine. Cheapest form of entertainment. Look at other stuff like flight ticket prices. That is off the charts this summer. So I feel people might go more often to big screen. Plus if you see Imax/PLF are preferred format despite being more expensive. few dollars more does not matter. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

You mind dumbing this down for me

he is saying we are going into a recession. Let us see. There are persistent trends that are deflationary like technology related savings. We have huge migration towards Cloud, Robotics and AI etc which help reduce costs and help deploy capital in more focused manner. 

That said I am expecting 2022/23 to be turbulent. China/Ukraine situation definitely is not helping beyond the inflationary trends we are seeing. China I think will get better in Q3 and I dont know when we will see the war end in Ukraine. 

43 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

We're already seeing a consumer collapse  - look at Amazon's latest results as one major indicator. We'll see higher peaks, lower troughs. 

The stage is set. 

The game is afoot.

OT: But we used to talk about movie subscriber numbers...and then Covid happened.

Cinemark has now made public that they are the 1st "US Only" chain to hit 1M movie subscribers (so that's 1M tickets/month in play at the chain...+ family tickets).

And if you're a subscriber, play their points giveaway - I got $3 off concessions for my June movie (aka 75 pts), so that will come in handy.

We need to consider how these subscribers can rally to one movie in a month and really sky it...or split amongst a few and have much lower, but wider, impacts...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

At this point, these sky-high ticket prices will scare away many people from watching movies in theaters. And in many other cases, it will make people choose now between the movie(s) they can afford to see in a month. Could be that Top Gun breaking out so much will cause Dominion to suffer because of it and then Lightyear could suffer from the family crowd maybe choosing between it and Dominion.

If there is a problem, I think it has a lot more to do with current food and gas prices right now rather than ticket prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

At this point, these sky-high ticket prices will scare away many people from watching movies in theaters. And in many other cases, it will make people choose now between the movie(s) they can afford to see in a month. Could be that Top Gun breaking out so much will cause Dominion to suffer because of it and then Lightyear could suffer from the family crowd maybe choosing between it and Dominion.

Family movies suffer the most b/c families do have equivalent entertainment per dollar/hour AND they have the least subscriber savings options and the most tickets to buy (and tend to be subscribed to the most streaming services already).

Adult-skewing movies, especially ones that appeal to current theatrical subscribers, should weather the storm the best...and then you'll have 1-2 choices per year that get "everyone" who wants to be in on the holiday/summer talk.

I think that one is Top Gun Maverick this summer (and Spidey was it last winter)...I'm not sure what the winter one will be yet...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

From Deadline

Average ticket price for big blockbusters have gone bonkers !!!!

You have a general ticket price increase, plus a premium price for some new releases, a much higher share to PLF, and business overall being more skewed to major markets - all adds up to significant ATP bump 

Which is why I’ve said previously top line grosses are somewhat masking the still reduced admit rate 

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think that one is Top Gun Maverick this summer (and Spidey was it last winter)...I'm not sure what the winter one will be yet...

Obviously, it's gonna be "Puss in Boots: The Last Wish" 😏

• Haha 1

Just now, NCsoft said:

Obviously, it's gonna be "Puss in Boots: The Last Wish" 😏

Lies. Its obviously gonna be Babylon. Everyone will be in the mood for some gold old orgy scenes come Christmas.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Family movies suffer the most b/c families do have equivalent entertainment per dollar/hour AND they have the least subscriber savings options and the most tickets to buy (and tend to be subscribed to the most streaming services already).

Adult-skewing movies, especially ones that appeal to current theatrical subscribers, should weather the storm the best...and then you'll have 1-2 choices per year that get "everyone" who wants to be in on the holiday/summer talk.

Actually if one is a frequent moviegoers, there are a lot of deal out there like discount price, membership price for them to reap those saving. Like in my country, a subscription plan can put your ticket price one third of what people usually paid for standard screen, and 25% for premium screen. 

51 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

OT: But we used to talk about movie subscriber numbers...and then Covid happened.

Cinemark has now made public that they are the 1st "US Only" chain to hit 1M movie subscribers (so that's 1M tickets/month in play at the chain...+ family tickets).

And if you're a subscriber, play their points giveaway - I got $3 off concessions for my June movie (aka 75 pts), so that will come in handy.

We need to consider how these subscribers can rally to one movie in a month and really sky it...or split amongst a few and have much lower, but wider, impacts...

I’ve had A-List since July 2018, except for March20-May21) and have used it 168 times

22 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Actually if one is a frequent moviegoers, there are a lot of deal out there like discount price, membership price for them to reap those saving. Like in my country, a subscription plan can put your ticket price one third of what people usually paid for standard screen, and 25% for premium screen. 

Right, individuals can totally make out as subscribers.

There is no family subscription plan in the US, which is a huge hole in the industry.

Cinemark comes closest, allowing Platinum members to buy 5 discounted tickets when they use their 1 monthly ticket (so they can get 6 tickets at the monthly subscription price).  But see, this only allows occasional movie going, and most subscribers will be splitting their purchases between date nights and family outings, so few family movies can make out.  AND you can't get these extra tickets until you have no credits on your account (which is very annoying).

Aka - the family movies that appeal the most to adults probably win...

If there was a family subscriber plan, I would have already bought it.  As is, I've bought Cinemark's plan this year and added 2 more years (which give you extra credits) as the year has gone.  This is not optimal, and I have skipped movies b/c I didn't feel like paying $15/ticket for Dr Strange , as one example, when my kids already wanted Top Gun Maverick (and they were the same month) - same for April and skipping Fantastic Beasts 3 b/c my Harry Potter fan was okay with that and the other kids wanted Sonic...

EDIT TO ADD: And you ask why I bought extra years for credits vs using the platinum perk - it's actually cheaper to do it that way, which shows how much they screw families in these plans...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I think we're currently in one the numbers are just being fudged. When the real drop comes it's gonna be bad. 

I dont know. If there is a recession then customer spending tanks and inflation cools down. But we have seen no signs of inflation being down. So I dont see how we can be in a recession and with high inflation. I see most customers still spending and all airports are extremely busy with so many folks traveling(vacation/business travel). 

Last quarter GDP did go down. That was due to quarter on quarter comp with previous one where ginormous amount of growth happened and we saw reduction in exports, govt spending and investments. Consumer spending was still up even last quarter. Let us see where things stand this quarter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

From Deadline

EntTelligence reports that the final 4-day admissions figure for Top Gun 2 is 12 million patrons. Because of higher ticket prices compared to 2007 when At World’s End was released, the latter film pulled in more people (yes, including previews) with 19.5M over its 4-day weekend.

Average ticket price for big blockbusters have gone bonkers !!!!

3 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

19.5m admissions today with TG2 avg ticket price comes out to $260mil 👀

Bah. Those ticket prices would put Endgame’s OW at $435M 🤣

Just now, T-ReXXR said:

Bah. Those ticket prices would put Endgame’s OW at $435M 🤣

it does not work that way. Bigger the movie, the average ticket price goes down as Imax/PLF tickets are capped. Endgame was selling out all its 2d shows and so lower average ticket prices. 

Everyone didn’t see TGM in PLF, or in New York or Los Angeles. Just looking around me locally, I can find evening tickets in standard format for under $7 (and under $6 for dine-in theaters), the closest multiplex has $9 evening tickets. There's also $19 for Dolby at the closest AMC so maybe it all balances out. But given that a lot of the top markets aren't in the biggest cities and there were probably a high concentration of military discounts, you'd think it would lower the average ticket price.

• Like 2