Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So JWs audience is pretty diverse. Wonder how diverse Lightyear is gonna be

Dinosaurs are 4 Quadrant 

I still have hope that one day one filmmaker will come and make a movie which will rule the charts 😎😎

Power of Dinosaurs is unmistakable, you just next to back them up with required content.

Considering that it’s still going to open to 140m+ despite terrible reviews, following an installment with a mixed reception  that came o four years ago, and the Top Gun Maverick breakout, JW is low key the strongest franchise  around

• Haha 2

Just now, John Marston said:

Considering that it’s still going to open to 140m+ despite terrible reviews, following an installment with a mixed reception  that came o four years ago, and the Top Gun Maverick breakout, JW is low key the strongest franchise  around

Easily nothing beats Dinosaur.

Even MCU is becoming sensitive to reviews. 140m start is excellent 

• Haha 1

I imagine Universal has to be pretty happy with this opening after putting out nonstarters (minus The Bad Guys) this year so far. With The Black Phone/Minions/Nope coming up the good news should continue for the majority of the summer.

8 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Easily nothing beats Dinosaur.

Even MCU is becoming sensitive to reviews. 140m start is excellent 

I mean, TROS didn't exactly have gold-star reviews, and had a mixed-reception previous installment, and opened to 175 (would be 200+ in June 2022). I'm sure an Avengers movie easily beats 140 with poor reviews as well. That's a very low bar for "strongest franchise."

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 6

Also, nowadays, especially pre-pandemic, we hardly spotted this box office trend, where a significantly panned tentpole by critics actually exceeds at the box office.

One of the most self-congratulatory statement. Deadline predict a 125m opening, a number, a number that I don't recall any pundits have actually it is possible.  

I am actually curious about Saturday bump, FK jumped 15% from true Friday in the middle-of summer. We are still in the beginning of summer when certain % of the school may still open. I am not sure how many % since no one seem to report it 

• Like 1

$140m+ opening weekend an A- Cinemascore is more than Universal were expecting earlier this week, I can guarantee it. 

Lol at Firestarter being up 1,000% on last weekend and 2,500% up from Thursday. Those drive ins? 

8 (-) Firestarter Universal $310,000 +2,468% +943% 150 $2,067 $8,742,260

Men, with a $22 PTA in 991 locations is going to completely disappear next week. A dreadful result for weekend 3.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Not sure about these high predictions for Lightyear. Why should it open like a Toy Story film?

I've wondered this.

Especially given most of the marketing hasn't been particularly clear about what Lightyear 'Is'. Every single trailer and every single spot should have been clear about the 'Andy's favourite film' thing. The vast majority have just gone out there without that explanation and therefore with 'wait, so Toy Story was low key set in 2050?' logic.

It's hard to see it totally crashing and burning, but I think we might be in for a Mary Poppins Returns type deal. Maybe. I'd like to be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I've wondered this.

Especially given most of the marketing hasn't been particularly clear about what Lightyear 'Is'. Every single trailer and every single spot should have been clear about the 'Andy's favourite film' thing. The vast majority have just gone out there without that explanation and therefore with 'wait, so Toy Story was low key set in 2050?' logic.

It's hard to see it totally crashing and burning, but I think we might be in for a Mary Poppins Returns type deal. Maybe. I'd like to be wrong.

Still one of the funniest tweets trying to explain a premise

chris_evans_buzz_lightyear_tweet.png?aut

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$140m+ opening weekend an A- Cinemascore is more than Universal were expecting earlier this week, I can guarantee it. 

Lol at Firestarter being up 1,000% on last weekend and 2,500% up from Thursday. Those drive ins? 

8 (-) Firestarter Universal $310,000 +2,468% +943% 150 $2,067 $8,742,260

Men, with a $22 PTA in 991 locations is going to completely disappear next week. A dreadful result for weekend 3.

Still a more successful re-release than Morbius

(In fact far more) 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Still a more successful re-release than Morbius

(In fact far more) 

It actually dropped 193 cinemas compared to last weekend so it can’t even be considered a re-release lol. Must be double bills or money movement. 

I mean most of the Lightyear predix are around the 80-110 range. That’s a decent amount less than TS4’s opening, so I don’t think that qualifies as “like” the other Toy Story movies

• Like 6

The most tone deaf (no pun intended) moment in the Lightyear promotion was when Troy Kotsur won for CODA, gave an emotional speech and had everyone tearing up and then we cut to Chris Evans congratulating him in a pre-recorded message and throwing it to a Lightyear trailer.

That was tonal whiplash.

Edited by grim22
  • Haha 2

Just now, grim22 said:

The most tone deaf (no pun intended) moment in the Lightyear promotion was when Troy Kotsur won for CODA, gave an emotional speech and had everyone tearing up and then we cut to Chris Evans congratulating him in a pre-recorded message and throwing it to a Lightyear trailer.

It's a metaphor for how Disney treats the Oscar's in general.

• Like 1

What Lightyear has going for it is that it will be the first animated movie in almost two months, and the animated movie with the most 4-quad appeal since Frozen II given the connection to the Toy Story brand (everything else to open since then was impacted by COVID conditions on one level or another). $100M doesn't seem that out there considering the current state of the marketplace for animated/family fare + the fact it's sure to draw an older than usual audience for animated film given that Toy Story connection.

• Like 4