Eric Duncan

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I did go with family opening weekend saturday morning Dolby show and there were many families over there. Boys do love aerial action for sure. This is starting to penetrate more than just the boomer audience. Its not making 600m+ just targeting boomer audience. 

We don't use anecdotes for our predictions sir

3 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

That stunt looks insanely dangerous.  Could have drowned if fallen off

There are so many gifs of people making stupid things like this with their dino costumes. I would hope that nobody has ever been really hurt/endangered by stunts like this, but im not so sure about that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

We don't use anecdotes for our predictions sir

Not anecdotes alone. Its BO holds have shown that its spreading its audience beyond what initial interest suggested. 

@Shawn may be can provide more info on the same. That is one of the reasons why he presumably cut OW numbers for JWD. 

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Your words in the movie gods ears.

For the record, 850M is really the worst-case scenario imo with low openings and bad legs around the globe. I think its a lot more likely that it ends up at 950M - 1B. But this all depends ofc in its Worldwide performance this weekend.

Let's see man, currently I'm very pessimistic. 

Hopefully it does very well.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I always have a theory , pending proven or falsified in this weekend. Contrary to general belief, I don't think TGM will hurt JWD. In fact, I think TGM pave the way or at least rebuild the goodwill for the return of non-frequent or older moviegoers that aged 40+. Guess who else is trying to lure older moviegoers? JWD, which the original JP was top IP for kids and teenage back then. 

The synergy provided by TGM to movie business can benefit its immediate successor. 

Also, look at how JWD perform in LA region including Mexico, it is safe to assume the Latino in USA will follow suit and they have been main driver of moviegoing in the past decade.   

I agree on the first point, as TG2 may have “broken the ice” in returning to theaters, and reminded people what the theatrical experience is supposed to be about, particularly for markets and audiences that have been underserved post-pandemic 

With that said, that benefit is somewhat off by the apparent disparity in quality, so they may still cannibalize each other 

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Let's seean, currently I'm very pessimistic. 

Hopefully it does very well.

With me, im pessmistic in one moment and a bit more optimistic in the other. But mostly im leaning on the pessimistic side as well :sadfleck:which is why its good to know that it is impossible for this movie to flop and be an actual money-looser. In any case, it will be a hit.

1 minute ago, M37 said:

I agree on the first point, as TG2 may have “broken the ice” in returning to theaters, and reminded people what the theatrical experience is supposed to be about, particularly for markets and audiences that have been underserved post-pandemic 

With that said, that benefit is somewhat off by the apparent disparity in quality, so they may still cannibalize each other 

I agree but it still remains to be seen if audiences think as bad of Dominion as the critics do.

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Not anecdotes alone. Its BO holds have shown that its spreading its audience beyond what initial interest suggested. 

@Shawn may be can provide more info on the same. That is one of the reasons why he presumably cut OW numbers for JWD. 

Have there been actual demographic stats release that indicate a change past opening weekend for below 35 and nonwhite audiences? Or has it been assumption based on the good holds?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I did go with family opening weekend saturday morning Dolby show and there were many families over there. Boys do love aerial action for sure. This is starting to penetrate more than just the boomer audience. Its not making 600m+ just targeting boomer audience. 

Definitely. My teenage cousin was telling me last week that she has no interest in see Top Gun, but yesterday she told me that she’s gonna see it with her friends.

• Like 2

Kinda OT but I'm curious and idk where else to ask. What happened to Telemachos, Baumer, Cjohn and some fellow JP/JW fans like Bishop & Jay Hollywood? I know it's been 7 years and casual members might come and go but baumer & Cj were mods, and tele was an admin! There's no trace of them!

Edit: and RTH!! how could I forget RTH! Does he still drop by? 

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 1

I don't even think Top Gun Maverick is the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as the movie itself. (I'd give it a 4/5 not a 4.5 or 5) but man it's just so cool to see everyone everywhere i go be amped as shit about this movie. I have no idea what's happening but it fucking rules.

2 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

Kinda OT but I'm curious and idk where else to ask. What happened to Telemachos, Baumer, Cjohn and some fellow JP/JW fans like Bishop & Jay Hollywood? I know it's been 7 years and casual members might come and go but baumer & Cj were mods, and tele was an admin! There's no trace of them!

we've been able to get rid of most of them but unfortunately cjohn still haunts these halls.

• Haha 11
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

Edit: and RTH!! how could I forget RTH! Does he still drop by? 

RTH still drops by for the big movies, CJohn is still here, Baumer has recently posted a bit and Tele magically appears everytime you post something in the Untitled Michael Mann Cyberthriller over 100M in China club.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

RTH still drops by for the big movies, CJohn is still here, Baumer has recently posted a bit and Tele magically appears everytime you post something in the Untitled Michael Mann Cyberthriller over 100M in China club.

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

..... so we wait 😋

• Like 1