EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/13-16) // 6.9m TG2, 13m JW:D Mon //

57 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Not saying that final couldn't happen, but if Brazil and Argentina winning their groups, they will meet in the semi-final as they are on the same side of the draw. Semis always better than finals anyway, so I'm up for that.

You say quality wise? Yes, finals normally are not too great in the technical side because of the extreme tension and fear of loss involved. That said... It's a Brazil vs Argentina, so the game will probably be not too beautiful too watch and more like a rough, very disputed and feisty game anyways.

Im a bit afraid of the Dominion number for Wed honestly. With Tuesday beeing this boosted because of the atom deal and Lightyear having early previews, we could see an ugly-looking drop.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Im a bit afraid of the Dominion number for Wed honestly. With Tuesday beeing this boosted because of the atom deal and Lightyear having early previews, we could see an ugly-looking drop.

Plus, it's losing half of its screens to LY, tomorrow or Friday?

47 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

It ain't a pretty drop, I can tell you that much.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 5
  • Disbelief 2

1 hour ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

This set of weekdays seems oddly weak, especially for TGM. Is it?

It may just show much PLFs, specifically the limited capacity on weekends pushing demand into the weekdays, were really propping up those weekday grosses 

Or perhaps, the WOM driven second wave has finally crested? Saw similar with Batman, after a strong week 2, weekdays were down 55% in week 3 (though Spring Breaks may have been a factor)

6 hours ago, Eric Lightyear said:

I don't go to IMAX/PLF shows, and everything about the Lightyear/Dominion sharing drives me bananas. Lightyear was specifically formatted for IMAX showings. The first of its kind for an animated movie...and yet it's only available in IMAX for like one 12:30 show per day on its opening weekend. It's so stupid, especially since the hardcore fans who wanted to see Dominion in IMAX already have at this point.

It still baffles me that the major chains haven't announced any IMAX/PLF expansions, since it's clear there's tons of demand from people to see it in PLFs that isn't being supplied nearly as much as it should. Two IMAX theaters in the major multiplexes (and also two theaters for the other PLFs) would mean demand for the format is satisfied and you can show more than one movie all throughout the day instead of just this unfair sharing process.

Theaters do not like showing kids films on premium screens. Remember that theaters are essentially popcorn vendors; they get 100% of the revenue from popcorn, but only 50% (or less) from tickets. 

You ever notice how kids movies typically have longer legs, and seem to hold onto more screens and theaters, even when their PTA is below other films? That's because kids tickets are cheaper, so a lower PTA can still represent the same number of tickets sold (and in some cases, more). Even if there are fewer tickets sold, it doesn't really matter, since kids bring someone else's wallet with them. They get popcorn (usually a small, which has the largest profit margin in the theater), a drink (small, also a large profit margin) and then a bunch of other snacks. Look at a film like Elvis, and I'd imagine most the audience will be 40+, most will share a popcorn, they aren't going to get a bunch of other snacks. So one kid watching a kids movie is going to bring more revenue for the theater than 2 adults watching Elvis.

So ideally you want to make adult movies more expensive on the ticket price (premium seats, premium screens), while making kids movies cheaper (so that parents on a budget can direct that saved ticket money to popcorn). When kids movies start taking premium screens, theaters see popcorn revenues drop. And they also see their revenues from general audiences fall, since they are stuck watching regular screens. 

Making every screen a premium screen will eat into theater revenues, because ticket revenues are split with studios.

LY being made for IMAX is probably the worst thing for a kids movie, as theaters are going to hate showing it.

If you're a theater owner right now (or executive) you're thinking how you can maximize your profits with having the most popular movie in theaters right now, which is bringing in an older audience that spends less on popcorn; having a dino movie that has a general audience, and a kids movie. Ideally you want that kids movie on the cheapest screens, you want TGM on premium screens, and you want dinos on a mix, with earlier showings being on regular (since that's when kids are more likely to go) and later showings being on premium screens.

Meanwhile all three studios were likely begging for those screens this week. Universal probably thumbing through their contract, reminding the chains of the terms; Paramount was probably asking for as many screens as possible, reminding theater executives that they'll make more with TGM on premium screens than anything else. I'd imagine if Disney wanted more screens.. they'd get them, though. Like... Disney is pretty cutthroat on these things, and they'll use other properties to leverage things.

So.. if Disney doesn't end up with a lot of premium shows, I'd imagine they didn't want them. Either they weren't willing to leverage things, or maybe it's possible that this is a result of infighting at Disney/Pixar. There was a lot of internal drama over Turning Red going to streaming. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

Honestly... I think apart from Brazil and Argentina itself, it would explode more in Asian countries like India, Bangladesh, Indonesia and such. There is an insane level of support for both teams there, they are even more crazy than us...

football is niche in India, mostly limited to few states.

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$9.6m or so for JWD

I would almost say this used to be norm for opening wednesday but TGM has spoiled us so far. Another 10% drop tomorrow due to further PLF loss and then hopefully it recovers. Weekend drop wont be pretty for sure. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nice.

Do you think $600m is still possibility?

The dark knight added $124m from here on out. That would put TG:M at $540m but with slightly higher numbers and better holds for around $550-560m

Edited by The Dark Rock