EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/13-16) // 6.9m TG2, 13m JW:D Mon //

47 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

So we should all hope for Game 7 to not be coming at all :ph34r:

Meh. Deflated Thursday and, potentially, Sunday numbers will only lead to inflated Friday and Monday numbers especially because it's a 3 day weekday for most of the US with a new federal holiday this coming Monday. It'll all balance out in the end. I bet we'll see evidence of this right away with today's numbers when we get them tomorrow. Likely very healthy increases all around.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Lets not be overdramatic 😅 if truly everything would go wrong, Dominion woudnt

1) have gotten a China release, but it got it. Thats possibly 100M+ WW that the other big movies dont get.

2) have opened to 145M, which is still an acceptable Opening. It could have gone lower, but it didnt and prevented a truly underwhelming performance with that

3) have gotten an A- CinemaScore and what seems so far solid enough WOM. It could have gotten bad WOM, but it doesnt seem to get it.

Im rooting for it to get every dollar possible as well, but compared to many other movies, especially in those last 2 pandemic years, Dominion has it quite good imo.

China currently is not like China that Godzilla vs Kong and Fast 9 got. Jurassic World did 228 in China, Fallen Kingdom did 261, even if WOM is less thean those movies, situation would be different with a completely fully functioning China, absolutely normal.

The kind of WOM it has, it needs every advantage it gets, not sure Basketball affecting it is what I'll say is good for its legs, especially if it ends up affecting the upcoming Father's Day day.

Top Gun breaking out in a way very few movies have, although I2 was there with Fallen Kingdom so let this one go, but I'll argue even Incredibles 2 didn't had WOM like Top Gun is having.

There's a war in Europe. 

In Korea it suddenly got another break out hit eating up its business, Fallen Kingdom was clear.

But most importantly, Director forgetting how they ended Fallen Kingdom and what they promised to audience which is resulting in these receptions.

And also 145 is very underwhelming. So it can be counted as gone wrong.

And again reiterating, it being not so good enough is what's its biggest gone wrong, we wouldn't be having this conversation had Colin Treverow delivered.

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

China currently is not like China that Godzilla vs Kong and Fast 9 got. Jurassic World did 228 in China, Fallen Kingdom did 261, even if WOM is less thean those movies, situation would be different with a completely fully functioning China, absolutely normal.

The kind of WOM it has, it needs every advantage it gets, not sure Basketball affecting it is what I'll say is good for its legs, especially if it ends up affecting the upcoming Father's Day day.

Top Gun breaking out in a way very few movies have, although I2 was there with Fallen Kingdom so let this one go, but I'll argue even Incredibles 2 didn't had WOM like Top Gun is having.

There's a war in Europe. 

In Korea it suddenly got another break out hit eating up its business, Fallen Kingdom was clear.

But most importantly, Director forgetting how they ended Fallen Kingdom and what they promised to audience which is resulting in these receptions.

And also 145 is very underwhelming. So it can be counted as gone wrong.

And again reiterating, it being not so good enough is what's its biggest gone wrong, we wouldn't be having this conversation had Colin Treverow delivered.

I get what you mean, but we dont live in the world pre-2020 anymore, we live now in the Covid world that also features the Ukraine war and high inflation.

But that means problems for every movie that gets released now. But compared to a movie like for example Multiverse of Madness it at least got a China release instead of no China release. Thats what i mean. Of course, a lot of things could be better. But a lot of other things also could have been even worse.

And again, all movies suffer from the state of the world right now, not only Dominion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I get what you mean, but we dont live in the world pre-2020 anymore, we live now in the Covid world that also features the Ukraine war and high inflation.

But that means problems for every movie that gets released now. But compared to a movie like for example Multiverse of Madness it at least got a China release instead of no China release. Thats what i mean. Of course, a lot of things could be better. But a lot of other things also could have been even worse.

And again, all movies suffer from the state of the world right now, not only Dominion. 

Yeah, it makes sense, it's sed, but makes sense.

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Apologies on the shitty numbers Monday.  I will be much more accurate today.  

Early look at today is $7.8m for TG2

Don't be too hard on yourself City, you can't be right all the time (like me).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, upriser7 said:

NBA finals are likely going to have more effect on JWD than TGM. NBA fans are usually relatively younger and more diverse than say NFL/MLB fans

Do wonder, given the age skew, if the January 6th hearings aren’t impacting TG2’s weekday numbers: both last Thursday and now Monday have been its worst days (relatively speaking)

Would be interesting to see a time of day  comp vs prior week, to see when the falloff occurred, if it aligns more with daytime (hearings on Mon) or evening (Finals)

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Apologies on the shitty numbers Monday.  I will be much more accurate today.  

Early look at today is $7.8m for TG2

Good, was hoping it would make up some ground today.

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I hope Game 7 doesn't happen for the sake of the Father's day holds.

How can you not like Game 7s though? Game 7 is what American sports build towards, where Legends are made. Tons of iconic moments all occur in Game 7s.

• Like 3

Say hello to the infinite quadrant movie. I was in line today to catch a matinee of Everything, Everywhere and there were two elderly ladies, mid-70's at least, in front of me. Downton Abbey? Nope. Maverick. When I told them how great it was, one of them replied, "Oh we know. It's our second time." 

This thing really is gonna play all summer. 🔥

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

How can you not like Game 7s though? Game 7 is what American sports build towards, where Legends are made. Tons of iconic moments all occur in Game 7s.

Yup. And, again, tons of folks are off Monday... Lotta dads included in there... They'll just see a movie then instead. This is all a bit overblown.

Just now, A Star is Orm said:

Say hello to the infinite quadrant movie. I was in line today to catch a matinee of Everything, Everywhere and there were two elderly ladies, mid-70's at least, in front of me. Downton Abbey? Nope. Maverick. When I told them how great it was, one of them replied, "Oh we know. It's our second time." 

This thing really is gonna play all summer. 🔥

TGM was the first time I went to a movie theater since Little Women back in late 2019. 

• Like 2