EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If it holds fine against Thor it'll make it to 400.

Given that it's already $15m behind Fallen Kingdom, it would basically have to not lose any more ground against FK for the rest of it's run to hit $400m, not an easy sell when it's been running behind FK everyday except for Father's Day

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 1

I know there are some well considered reasons already discussed for Lightyear opening to basically half what was projected a month or so ago but FMD this is bad. Top Gun2 nearly beating it this weekend (and would have if it had more PLF screens) is humiliating for Disney and Pixar.  Chapek I guess will read it as proving his point that it belongs on streaming. I just want the guy gone and someone in charge who will nuture the Pixar brand and the theatrical experience.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since you have brought this up. Please define "virtue signaling" in detail and what you think that means and why Top Gun 2 isn't doing that or anything.

I think this is actually pretty complicated and a "perception is reality" dynamic. TGM is def. virtual signaling no doubt, but in a way that is more on-trend at the moment than the darker, more emo-ish THE BATMAN. I can promise that the silly controversy that was attached to LIGHTYEAR in recent weeks did not help the film whatsoever. Just calling it like I see it. If the year was 2018, the current support levels for Johnny Depp would have been deemed outrageous, the dumb "controversy" within Lightyear would have been taboo for most outlet to even discuss, the glorified Americana military themes of TGM would felt much more out of place than they did in 2022, etc.

2022 has been a highly unpredictable, change-filled year with pop culture that feels radically different from the general sentiments of just a year or 2 ago. This probably won't be the last time we are surprised/shocked this year. 

2 hours ago, Zucch11 said:

Top Gun is overperforming literally everywhere in the world including places like Japan/Germany/France/Canada. It's reasonable to think that its success is because it is tapping into something more universal than tired US politics.

That is an extremely broad, generalized, highly misleading statement statement. It is overperforming to a tremendously larger extent domestically than it is overseas. The over performances are not even comparable. In fact, with overseas, we would need to define "overperforming literally everywhere" given that it's overseas grosses are level/below the last few MI films without even considering inflation. 

2 hours ago, Zucch11 said:

Infact it is quite telling that some people fail to see analyze their entertainment without their extremely narrow US political stripe tinted glasses.

Insinuating that TGM's obvious Americana/military theme is not playing a -major- role in it's domestic breakout is much, much more "telling". 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

the dumb "controversy" within Lightyear would have been taboo for most outlet to even discuss, the glorified Americana military themes of TGM would felt much more out of place than they did in 2022, etc.

Are you high?

Since 2017, we had BATB with it's "exclusively gay moment" among many other Disney movies. We had the extremely stupid flag controversy in First Man and so many other nonsensical controversies even at the time you are saying.

TGM was hyped by liberal critics and the like. You realize that if TGM had flopped, it would have been the right going "It flopped because Hollywood didn't even have the balls to name China or Iran as the enemy instead of an unnamed country, also female pilots is too woke"

You are taking points which don't exist and trying to connect them in a way to fulfill your priors. 

As for the Americana theme being taboo before now - What was the highest grossing movie of 2014 again?

Edited by grim22
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Given that it's already $15m behind Fallen Kingdom, it would basically have to not lose any more ground against FK for the rest of it's run to hit $400m, not an easy sell when it's been running behind FK everyday except for Father's Day

Yeah and we'll see how it does from here on out as competition dies down a lot after Thor 4. That's why I said we'll see how it holds vs Thor. August is flat out dead as is September, so late legs could be better. We'll see.

29 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah and? You and quite a few others weren't saying this last weekend. Take the L, there was no 'sampling error' with Dominion and I say this as someone who thinks the movie's awful.

Run isn't over yet and the holiday certainly makes a difference. Maybe you should chill with this ridiculous vendetta against people who consider data sources other than Cinemascore. 

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

Run isn't over yet and the holiday certainly makes a difference. Maybe you should chill with this ridiculous vendetta against people who consider data sources other than Cinemascore. 

How is pointing out people who insisted they were right (Like you) weren't correct a 'vendetta'? People take stuff so personally here. It's just funny how insistent you and Legion were that you'd be right only to turn out to (So far) be wrong. If it has an insane drop next weekend (I doubt it but) then sure maybe, but right now the evidence isn't on your side.

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since you have brought this up. Please define "virtue signaling" in detail and what you think that means and why Top Gun 2 isn't doing that or anything.

I don't know his idea of virtue signaling, but typically it means only doing something for appearances, rather than out of one's own beliefs or values. With LY, shoving in a blink-and-you-miss-it lesbian kiss is 100% virtue signaling. Does anybody in the LGBTQ+ community feel like that was a great representation? I doubt it.

It would be like saying there is a Tim Allen cameo in LY, and then just having a shot of the the Buzz Lightyear toy from behind, and barely hearing Tim's voice for a second.

What's worst about corporate virtue signaling is it seems like they do it for 2 reasons; one is to signal to a particular group that they support them, without ever really doing anything substantial, which will hopefully bring in more $$$ from that group and their allies; and the second is for controversy, in which they can put some absolutely mundane kiss in a movie, stir the pot, get a little press for their movie, and then make it a good vs evil (lib vs con, dem v rep) battle, to hopefully drive up more sales. They get to muddy the waters on reviews, audience ratings, slightly influence critics, and blame 'bigots' if their movie fails.

For instance, I've seen dozens upon dozens of posts across social media (even a couple on this forum) about how awful it is that LY is flopping, because it gives the right a 'win'. Without that gay kiss, would that matter? Nope. Liberals wouldn't really care about it flopping. I imagine at least a few people went out and bought tickets for this very reason (though obviously not enough). Corporations are using social causes as a billboard and a shield. 

It sucks that everything is becoming some left vs right battle, especially being a Canadian. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think this is actually pretty complicated and a "perception is reality" dynamic. TGM is def. virtual signaling no doubt, but in a way that is more on-trend at the moment than the darker, more emo-ish THE BATMAN. I can promise that the silly controversy that was attached to LIGHTYEAR in recent weeks did not help the film whatsoever. Just calling it like I see it. If the year was 2018, the current support levels for Johnny Depp would have been deemed outrageous, the dumb "controversy" within Lightyear would have been taboo for most outlet to even discuss, the glorified Americana military themes of TGM would felt much more out of place than they did in 2022, etc.

2022 has been a highly unpredictable, change-filled year with pop culture that feels radically different from the general sentiments of just a year or 2 ago. This probably won't be the last time we are surprised/shocked this year. 

That is an extremely broad, generalized, highly misleading statement statement. It is overperforming to a tremendously larger extent domestically than it is overseas. The over performances are not even comparable. In fact, with overseas, we would need to define "overperforming literally everywhere" given that it's overseas grosses are level/below the last few MI films without even considering inflation. 

Insinuating that TGM's obvious Americana/military theme is not playing a -major- role in it's domestic breakout is much, much more "telling". 

Of course TGM overperforming everywhere.You might forgot MI7 made 570m OS but 190m of those came from China+Russia+Ukraine. 3 markets that TG2 isnt played. TG2 might finish 575m-600m overseas when pre release expectation in 200-300m. So 600m TG2 vs 380m from MI7.

It is bigger than MI 7 in every European nation, bigger in Latin America, bigger in Japan and Australia. Actually much bigger in Australia with this movie will reach top 10 all time. It will made 2.5x times more in UK. It only matched MI7 number in southeast asia. How come this isnt overperforming.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Are you high?

Since 2017, we had BATB with it's "exclusively gay moment" among many other Disney movies. We had the extremely stupid flag controversy in First Man and so many other nonsensical controversies even at the time you are saying.

TGM was hyped by liberal critics and the like. You realize that if TGM had flopped, it would have been the right going "It flopped because Hollywood didn't even have the balls to name China or Iran as the enemy instead of an unnamed country, also female pilots is too woke"

You are taking points which don't exist and trying to connect them in a way to fulfill your priors. 

As for the Americana theme being taboo before now - What was the highest grossing movie of 2014 again?

Also apparently he forgot Joker being a huge hit despite all the hysteria of it being an incel manifesto

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Also apparently he forgot Joker being a huge hit despite all the hysteria of it being an incel manifesto

Considering that reporting on mass shootings typically leads to more mass shootings (similar to how reporting on suicides leads to more suicides), it felt tremendously unethical when some in the media were speculating about the possibility of mass shootings at screenings of the film. Some seemed to almost be cheerleading it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

@Mulder with this weekend no. Dominion looks like $350-375M finish. If it goes higher, that will be because, as you said lack of competition, not because of WOM.

Or you know, both? If a film is unpopular, it's unpopular. No amount of lack of competition'll save it.

25 minutes ago, excel1 said:

What does a “breakout” mean if not expanding audience pool beyond an anticipate smaller demographic slice? You don’t get to $600M without having broad appeal 

Is it playing better in certain regions/markets than comparable  grossing titles? Sure - but that was much more a 1st week disparity, with the softer numbers in coasts and cities only leaving more room to grow, allowing for these ridiculous holds. No different than EEAO moving beyond a quirky art film to a more GA appeal thanks to WOM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Maybe I don't understand, but why is T-Mobile specifically the make it or break it carrier?

I believe T-Mobile has the most diverse and young customer base of the large carriers. So if you're still stuck in 70s marketing mode (which most businesses are), they have the demographics you want to get using/seeing your stuff.