EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

15 minutes ago, M37 said:

Lost city was an original comedy/action, no existing IP, more similar to Free Guy than a biopic of a celebrity/musician.  Rocketman had $1.75M from Thursday, plus another $600K from a Fandango screening like 2 weeks before release, had basically and 11x, and since previews have gone as share of weekend since then, why should we not expect the IM to be lower?

You seem very adamant that Elvis will be a flop. 

Marvel never breaking the theatrical release pattern even during COVID was really smart in retrospect. Yes Black Widow was on premium access day-and-date for a while but it was the only one. And the price tag on it meant that it was still considered a "premium" product for a while.

So they haven't devalued their products

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Marvel never breaking the theatrical release pattern even during COVID was really smart in retrospect. Yes Black Widow was on premium access day-and-date for a while but it was the only one. And the price tag on it meant that it was still considered a "premium" product for a while.

yep. I still think they should go PVOD for a first window though. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Yeah apparently Feige has more vision than Chapek.

No shocker there.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You're forgetting inflation, Elvis has PLF unlike Rocketman, and Elvis has more buzz + bigger star with Tom Hanks? Rocketman was R-rated and Elvis being PG-13 should reach a wider audience

PLF wouldn’t really affect IM, and wouldn’t “more buzz” mean a more of an early fan rush? Not sure the rating matters too much given expected age skew (not like R rating held back BhoRap)

You’re arguing why Elvis can/should/will open higher, on which I don’t necessarily disagree, but again the limited hard data in hand is suggesting a ~$3ish Thursday 

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

You seem very adamant that Elvis will be a flop. 

No, I really don’t have a stake here, my argument is primarily that we shouldn’t expect a high IM, and that current tracking data isn’t showing a $3+ Thursday, so under $30M OW isn’t a far-fetched outcome, though it certainly can get there 

And fwiw, I don’t use “flop” as cavalierly as many on these boards - if it opens soft, IMO much more an indication of a still limited audience for adult dramas than anything about the film itself 

Studios love talking about diversity, and yet here we are with yet another white guy playing Elvis. This film is gonna flop because boomers don't go to the movies. They should have gone with Black Elvis. 

That would have done Avatar numbers. Maybe Tom Hanks taking a pee can save this film, but I'm not confident.

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Does that mean Disney didn't give anyone the day off

Well, it sure seems like at least enough people came in to report actuals. I don’t have any more insight than that 😛